Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets pellets - do guinea pigs need them in their diet?

• Thread starter RockieGuineaPig
  • Start date

RockieGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
Do guinea pigs necessarily need pellets in their diet? Do they have to have them everyday, or is it just a supplement? My dad bought pellets from Walmart...he doesn't realize there's only one good brand out there available by Oxbow. He did this before, and I tell him every time, "Oxbow is the only one you should get. Walmart pellets is like eating Mcdonalds!"

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
They don't need pellets if you are feeding a wide variety of veggies (and limited amounts of fruits), and making sure they are getting all the proper vitamins and essential nutrients that they would be getting out of the pellets.

I would just ask you dad if you can make a trip back to Walmart to return those pellets, and hit the place you get the oxbow from on your way back home. :)

RockieGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
They don't need pellets if you are feeding a wide variety of veggies (and limited amounts of fruits), and making sure they are getting all the proper vitamins and essential nutrients that they would be getting out of the pellets.

I would just ask you dad if you can make a trip back to Walmart to return those pellets, and hit the place you get the oxbow from on your way back home. :)

Well, I only feed them green leaf lettuce, half a baby carrot, two thin slices of cucumber, and mini bell peppers everyday. I occasionally give them parsley, spinach, or any other greens if we have any. Same goes for apples (which I give them one wedge once or twice a week). Otherwise, it's just the lettuce, carrots, cucumbers and peppers.
I can't really make sure that they get their vitamins or essential nutrients, because my mom just won't buy tons of "unnecessary" stuff for my guinea pigs. Plus she doesn't consider taking them to the vet is important. All I know is that the peppers I'm giving them everyday is probably enough Vitamin C.

My dad is at work right now and an hour ago I asked my mom to return the pellets my dad bought and she told me "no, they don't need special food. Sophie doesn't get special dog food." And I just tell her, "my guinea pigs aren't dogs."

She just won't listen to me. I don't know how long I can keep them because I can't do this forever with a stubborn mother who doesn't understand 95% of what guinea pigs really need.

Sparklederp

Cavy Slave
I fed my guinea pigs without pellets for years with success and I intend to do the same with the newcomers I'm adopting soon.

You can find enough timothy hay to last two pigs a month for $10 (or $20 if you go the expensive route and purchase at a pet store), and I spent $10 a week absolutely spoiling them with a huge variety of veggies and greens. I always spent less than $50 a month on food for two and I never bought a single bag of pellets once I'd done the research on nutrition and diet.

Just make sure that they're getting unlimited long strand hay and at least a cup of the right veggies a day and they will be fine. Check out the sticky on the top of the Diet & Nutrition forum for specific nutritional information.

RockieGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
So, what is the EXACT amount of nutrients and vitamins do they need in order for them to stay without pellets? I already have the chart printed out several months ago. It's helpful, but it doesn't necessarily tell me how much they need of this and that everyday or every other day.

Sorry I seem a little desperate for answers, but I'm not in the mood for doing a bunch of research right now.
Whenever I bring up that we have the wrong pellets, she gives me a lecture and tells me she wants the pigs out by the weekend.
Again, she has NO IDEA what she's talking about and will never listen to what I have to say. She tells me I get whatever I want, and that I'm spoiled, blah blah blah. I mean, I'm spoiled because I want a bag of pellets returned? Like, seriously? I'm just trying to do what's best for my guinea pigs in order for them to live a long and healthy life.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't know that anyone can answer question about exactly what they need if they're pelletless. But mine have been pelletless because of urinary tract stones for two years, and I can tell you what they get.

Daily foods: red or green leaf lettuce, carrot, radicchio, belgian endive, green beans, zucchini or summer squash, bell pepper, tomato, plus a vitamin C tablet and an Oxbow urinary support tablet.

When I can get them: fresh corn husks and silks

Two to four times a week: Oasis Vita Drops multivitamins for guinea pigs, sprinkled on their food.

Occasionally: fruit, especially blueberries or watermelon rind.

Sparklederp

Cavy Slave
Are you old enough to get a job and start supporting your own pets? I was in the same situation with my childhood guinea pigs years back and I started working as soon as I was legally old enough so that my pets got exactly what they needed. It was much easier to let my own dollars do the talking instead of arguing with my parents about it.

RockieGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
Thanks @bpatters, that helps a ton!
@Sparklederp,
I'm 15. I told my mom I would like to be a dog walker or something of the sort to earn my own money, but whenever I mention it she ignores me or says, "yea" but never gets around to it.

Sparklederp

Cavy Slave
Thanks @bpatters, that helps a ton!
@Sparklederp,
edited out age

I told my mom I would like to be a dog walker or something of the sort to earn my own money, but whenever I mention it she ignores me or says, "yea" but never gets around to it.

You can take the initiative to do that! Contact family members or family friends, make posters and spread the word. I babysat and did freelance portrait drawing when I was a teenager and I didn't wait around on my mom to set it up. I think it would help alleviate a lot of stress for you and improve the situation for your guinea pig.

If you need tips or advice to get started, send me a PM and I'm happy to be your sounding board.

Lewis3265

Cavy Slave
Pellets is ruffage that they need for their teeth.

Sparklederp

Cavy Slave
Pellets is ruffage that they need for their teeth.

Long strand hays such as timothy or orchard grass provide all of the roughage and tooth maintenance that most guinea pigs need. Pellets are there to fill in nutritional requirements such as vitamins and minerals, which you can easily provide with the right vegetables and a multivitamin drop.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@Lewis3265, pellets are NOT roughage that they need for their teeth. They're simply a good way to give them the vitamins and minerals that they need, along with some extra protein. They do provide a little roughage, but not nearly enough to keep their teeth ground down -- that's the function of the long strand grass hays.

Lewis3265

Cavy Slave
Why do I get corrected? It is sad that some make a big deal about other peoples opinions. I have been raising guinea pigs for 30 years as pets, I do know a thing or two about guinea pigs. 'Pellets should be a part of their diet, it gives good roughage for their teeth.' I hope I clarified it better, sorry if I offended you bp.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You didn't offend me, @Lewis3265. But people depend on this forum for accurate advice, and length of experience with guinea pigs doesn't always translate into that. If your advice is correct, it will be allowed to stand without comment. If it's not, it won't. And the function of pellets is not to provide roughage for the teeth.

Lewis3265

Cavy Slave
You didn't offend me, @Lewis3265. But people depend on this forum for accurate advice, and length of experience with guinea pigs doesn't always translate into that. If your advice is correct, it will be allowed to stand without comment. If it's not, it won't. And the function of pellets is not to provide roughage for the teeth.
Pellets do provide roughage for their teeth as well as nutrients, such as vitamins; HOWEVER, timothy hay, oat hay, or alfalfa is better for them. Unless you are a vet, your accuracy is no different than mine when giving advice.

Sparklederp

Cavy Slave
Pellets do provide roughage for their teeth as well as nutrients, such as vitamins; HOWEVER, timothy hay, oat hay, or alfalfa is better for them. Unless you are a vet, your accuracy is no different than mine when giving advice.

Roughage isn't for the teeth, it's for the colon and digestive tract...

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
Random question, Belgian endive and endive are two different species of plant that look similar correct? Belgian endive looks similar to hearts of romaine but is whitish correct? It's been something I've been interested in adding to my pigs diet, but I want to be sure I'm looking at the right thing. Also, how do you prepare it? Just like lettuce?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
This is what I know as belgian endive: (broken link removed)

I just cut the stem end off, split it lengthwise, and wash it. My pigs love it. They get a whole one every day if they're small, or 1/2 or 1/3 if they're larger.

Lewis3265

Cavy Slave
Roughage isn't for the teeth, it's for the colon and digestive tract...
Didn't you know that guinea pigs teeth are always growing, and they need something to chew on? Pellets are a little harder. Guinea pigs should be given pellets.
I guess now to the og poster not getting her question answered because people are having disagreements if she should feed her guinea pig pellets, just do research on line about a guinea pigs diet, and talk to a vet. There are books on guinea pigs too.:)

Sparklederp

Cavy Slave
Didn't you know that guinea pigs teeth are always growing, and they need something to chew on? Pellets are a little harder. Guinea pigs should be given pellets.
I guess now to the og poster not getting her question answered because people are having disagreements if she should feed her guinea pig pellets, just do research on line about a guinea pigs diet, and talk to a vet. There are books on guinea pigs too.:)

Yes, obviously. The word "roughage" refers to dietary fiber and it is not "for the teeth". Teeth are worn down by long strand grass hays or appropriate chew toys, not primarily by pellets. Pellets are helpful, but not necessary if appropriate veggies and hays are fed, which was the OP's question and which I answered earlier in the thread.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.