Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Stands A couple different questions...

• Thread starter CallieLovesPigs
  • Start date

CallieLovesPigs

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Hi everybody!!! Ok so I have 2 questions, one about veggies, and one about cage stands.

OK, so today me and my mom went to the pet store to pick up hay and toys, and then we wet to a local market to get lettuce and such for the guinea pigs and the bunny. I got green leaf lettuce, romaine lettuce, red leaf lettuce, swiss chard, cilantro, and red, green, and yellow peppers. I pre-bag my veggies. I give 2 cups a day to both the pig and the bun.

so my mom started to complain because we buy a lot of veggies. Obviously we need to, and I like to buy them from the local market because they are fresh, even though it's a bit more expensive. I grow some veggies and herbs, but not enough for my pigs to live off of. We always wait forever to get more veggies, and then we have none, and my mom said 'we just went to get some.' How can I tell her that the pets need veggies everyday and we need to buy enough?

OK, for my main question, I know the grids you get at Target are dangerous, but could I make a stand out of them? The pigs wouldn't be going close to them, and I don't want to pay $200 for a stand off the website. So would the grids with the large holes be OK just for a stand? I have wanted one for a while, and my room is getting cramped with all my guinea pig supplies.

Thank you! Any advice is appreciated! :)

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
About the veggies- The recommended amount a day is 1 cup per pig. Not sure if that is the same for the bunny or not.
So, if you go to the recommend and make sure they have plenty of fresh hay, you should see a good drop in the amount and cost of your veggies. You are giving them both a fantastic variety.

CallieLovesPigs

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
@spy9doc : Thank you! Yes, I have my current C&C cage, with the grids with the smaller holes, and I just want the stand. :) My cage is currently on my floor so I believe it will be easy to do. I already have 2 of the canvas bins to hold toys, so I'm happy to hear they will fit nice! Thanks again!

chip123

Cavy Slave
yes u can use they grids for the stand but u can get the same grids cheeper at aldi if u have one close because u can get 23 grids for 14.99

CallieLovesPigs

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
@Kim37040 : Yes, I have 2 pigs living in the cage. :) And yes, the bunny is supposed to have 2 cups a day as well. My pigs LOVE hay and veggies, as my bunny is more picky. Thanks!!!!

guinealover701

Cavy Slave
I give my cavy about 3 leafs of lettace and then cut up red and yellow peppers and give him about a quarter of yellow or red peppers. And you can use the target ones as a stand, I don't know how much they are at target. But for college (for storage since you don't have a lot of room there)they have a sale at bed bath & Beyond for $20.00 for the right sized grid in case you don't want the stand anymore you can make it into a playpen or another guinea pig cage if you get another.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I give my cavy about 3 leafs of lettace and then cut up red and yellow peppers and give him about a quarter of yellow or red peppers. And you can use the target ones as a stand, I don't know how much they are at target. But for college (for storage since you don't have a lot of room there)they have a sale at bed bath & Beyond for $20.00 for the right sized grid in case you don't want the stand anymore you can make it into a playpen or another guinea pig cage if you get another.

Yeah, I would spend the few extra dollars and get the ones from bedbath and beyond.

Mellisenda

Cavy Slave
We give ours romaine or red leaf, about 1/2 to 2/3rd cups each once per day with their bell pepper & another veg for dinner. Oxbow CQ pellets once per day; 2 tablespoons each plus a small piece of either veg or fruit for breakfast. They have unlimited Oxbow Timothy hay & water.

Here's some very good info;

(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)

If you notice, for serving info they state 1 cup total for both lettuce and veggies combined per day, per pig. That's what we go by.

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
K-Mart also sells the grids for 19.99!

guinealover701

Cavy Slave
I forgot to add...... Every summer I do a garden and that sends me A TON of money.

guinealover701

Cavy Slave

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Walmart sells white grids for 22 a box and Amazon has black grids for 22.50 a box both places have 16 grids per box. Bed Bath and beyond I think has 20-22 in a box. and it's around 19.95 and you can use the 20% off coupon on those. You probably only need like 2 boxes depending on how you build the stand.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.