Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C making a litter box/ kitchen

piggi_zone

Cavy Slave
How to I keep my pigs from trying to eat the tape? I plan to try to cover it with fleece but what if I cant cover it well enough?

bguardguy

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Could you further elaborate on what you mean? I have a kitchen/litter box and use no tape what so ever. I would be willing to help, but extremely confused.

piggi_zone

Cavy Slave
I was trying to use tape for the flaps, what did you use glue?

bguardguy

Cavy Slave
I didnt use flaps. I actually found a really cool thing that worked perfect instead of coroplast. Let me find a link real quick. Its perfect!

bguardguy

Cavy Slave
I cant find a link right now, but basically it is an insert that you place into a rubbermaid tub that sits on top. The sides are five inches tall so they can jump in and out without a ramp and its thicker plastic and super easy to clean. It fits a good amount of litter and my food and hay container and water bottle all in it. Plus plenty of room for both of the piggies to chill in it and play.

Ledewalt

Cavy Slave
We've been using the boxes that top ramen noodles come in as a litter box. They're folded on angles on the long sides so we just cut down those and it makes sort of a ramp into the litter box. Just layer some newspaper and bedding in it and change out bedding every day or two. My piggy likes to chew the cardboard while going to the bathroom and we actually have a little hay rack so he can munch on that too. It's been two weeks since we've put the last box in and there's barely any soiling of the actual cardboard. You could also use an old cereal box too and just swap out when needed.

bguardguy

Cavy Slave
Cheap cat litter boxes from somewhere like the dollar tree works wonders. The thing I got cost like four dollars at walmart. It has handles so it is easy to carry, can also be cleaned really easy as well.

piggi_zone

Cavy Slave
I didn't to the cat boxes because I didn't feel they would big enough for 4-5 piggies at one time and everything else I wanted to put in there too. And the cardboard boxes would go way too fast. ( peed thru)

Ledewalt

Cavy Slave
With the layer of newspapers and bedding in the cardboard box and regular changing of that, the cardboard itself is still nearly in the same condition as when we put it in, aside from the chewed edges.

mtk2000

Cavy Slave
With the layer of newspapers and bedding in the cardboard box and regular changing of that, the cardboard itself is still nearly in the same condition as when we put it in, aside from the chewed edges.
are the boxes you are talking about corrugated plastic? I heard some where it is not safe for piggies to chew. I think @pinky knows more about it than I do.

Ledewalt

Cavy Slave
No, it's just plain cardboard. There's no wax coating or even printing on it.

piggi_zone

Cavy Slave
mtk 200, I think that comment would be relevant. Because she was saying its not a good idea toilet paper tubes in because of the glue that is used. Some people do them some don't. I don't. I suggested the glue for the coro because I thought would be not seen. I wish I could do a level they couldn't get to it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.