Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Guinea Pig Injury, Help!

PiggieLove13

Cavy Slave
Hi all, today I was outside with my guinea pig Coco, enjoying the 70 degree weather and sun. I was walking in from outside and she jumped! From about 3 feet onto the concrete porch. I was shaking so badly. She had bit her top lip and one of her back toenails split and blood was dripping for a minute. What should I do? She jumped off the kitchen counter, and her breathing was off...I put some water on the cut on her lip, and carefully took off the toenail(it was hanging on a small string). She is in her igloo with a towel. She was at least acting normal, touched my fingers and sniffed the air when I put the container on the floor by her cage. Any suggestions? Thank you for any help.

PiggieLove13

Cavy Slave
I meant one time she had jumped off the kitchen conter, not anytime soon though. Sorry for any confusion.

just8be8free

Cavy Slave
I don't have much experience so I don't know what you need to do entirely. But I know you should check on her behaviour and make sure she's acting normal.

PiggieLove13

Cavy Slave
I just pet her above her nose where she loves and she purred, so she's fine. I am worried that the lip injury will stop her from eating though.. She's peeking out right now.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Offer her some vegetables to make sure she can eat. If she broke any teeth, she might have a hard time eating. Also make sure she's walking properly and not limping. Look at the wound on her mouth to make sure it stopped bleeding. Keep a close eye on the cut in case it abscesses. If a lump forms, take her in to have a vet look at it.

PiggieLove13

Cavy Slave
I am pretty sure she broke no teeth, but I will check again to be sure. The cut did stop bleeding. From now on I will always keep one hand on her when I am walking around with her in a container. I think she got scared when she saw my mom.

PiggieLove13

Cavy Slave
Nope, no broken teeth. She ate some lettuce, and looks ok. I will keep a close eye on her. Thank you!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Do NOT leave your guinea pig on counters, tables, or anywhere more than three or four inches off the floor. They have eyes in the side of their heads, and no depth perception at all. They can't tell the difference between a three inch jump and a three foot jump.

PiggieLove13

Cavy Slave
Thank you @bpatters! Now I feel really bad, it must have scared her so bad to have kept falling and hit concrete..I will be more careful in the future. Shes doing ok, her nail isn't bleeding and her lip has some dried blood. She drank from the side without the cut, smart girl. She still goes round her igloo squeaking and still licks her salt wheel, like she normally does. I've heard lips heal faster than other parts, so hopefully this is also true with guinea pigs. Thank you everyone!

Nikkipig

Cavy Slave
Thank you @bpatters! Now I feel really bad, it must have scared her so bad to have kept falling and hit concrete..I will be more careful in the future. Shes doing ok, her nail isn't bleeding and her lip has some dried blood. She drank from the side without the cut, smart girl. She still goes round her igloo squeaking and still licks her salt wheel, like she normally does. I've heard lips heal faster than other parts, so hopefully this is also true with guinea pigs. Thank you everyone!
You should get rid of the salt wheel as they're not good for guinea pigs at all.

PiggieLove13

Cavy Slave
You should get rid of the salt wheel as they're not good for guinea pigs at all.
Ok thank you. I just looked it up on the internet, I had no idea that they were bad. It's going in the trash right now. Now I know! Thanks again [MENTION=18967]Nikkipig[/MENTION]!!

PiggieLove13

Cavy Slave
I also read that I should give her 1/8 of a cup of pellets. I used to give her around a cup or a little less. Is this ok to give her 1/8 of a cup? The pellets I give her are DuMor Small Pet Classic Guinea Pig Diet from Tractor Supply(for some reason it's not on the Internet or website...). It has ground corn and beet molasses and soybean oil. I read that beet juice, oils, and corn are bad. It has 100mg/kg of Vitamin C(absorbing acid). Is Oxbow better?

PiggieLove13

Cavy Slave
Btw it's not only made of those three ingredients, those just caught my eye.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I can't find an ingredients list for those pellets, but as you noted, it's got some undesirable stuff in it. In the U.S., the best brands of pellets are KMS Hayloft and Oxbow.

Dumor products are made by Armour, and have been subject to a number of recalls. I wouldn't feed it. Feed store pellets are often VERY high in calcium, and you're running the risk of urinary tract stones.

A cup of pellets is WAY too many for a guinea pig. Hay should be the main ingredient in a pig's diet -- long strand grass hay (timothy, blue, orchard, meadow, brome). Veggies should be about 12%, and pellets about 3%.

PiggieLove13

Cavy Slave
So is 1/8 of a cup ok? She never ate one cup in a whole day. The pellets have 0.4-0.8% calcium. Should I switch to Oxbow?

PiggieLove13

Cavy Slave
I give her unlimited Timothy hay and daily fresh veggies(Romaine lettuce daily, and some yellow pepper every week or so. She also loves cucumbers). Also fresh filtered water is given. And the 1/8 cup of pellets.

PiggieLove13

Cavy Slave
I also just read that I should give her 1/4 a cup. Which one is better?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can read anything, anywhere, on the internet. The only two guinea pig sites I would take advice from are this one and Guinea Lynx. Both recommend 1/8 cup per day for an adult pig. There are undoubtedly other good sites, but you can definitely rely on these two.

You either need to feed bell pepper more often, or you need to supplement with vitamin C. Like humans, guinea pigs can't make it themselves, so they need it daily in their diets. See https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List for what you can feed and how often.

PiggieLove13

Cavy Slave
I read it on the Metropolitan Guinea Pig Rescue site. I have a bottle of Oasis Vita-Drops, which has pure Vitamin C.

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
Are those drops you put in the water? If they are, most of the time they are useless. I mean, yes they contain vitamin C, but when you put them in the water, they dissolve really fast and by the time your guinea pig drinks it, they will get little to none of it. Vegetables are the best way to ensure that they are getting enough vitamin C.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.