Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Play Lazy Cavy :P (wont play with toys)

izzys parents

Cavy Slave
So we noticed that our Izzy is gaining quite a bit of weight, and so to encourage her to exercise we looked up some cheaper ways of getting her toys...she would play with the toy for like 5-sec and then leave it...so we got her the more expensive toys from the petstore same thing :\ pretty much the only thing that gets he attention is food and we are trying to watch her diet at the moment. any suggestions on what kind of toys we should use.

we have already tried, a ball, cat toy ball with the bells, ball in a sock, the stuffed animal thing, chew block (she wont even touch it), chew sticks, bells. we do not have another cavy at the moment but plan on getting one soon....the owner of our house (My aunt) only permits one at the moment, but perhaps soon, she will change her mind.

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
By ball do you mean an exercise ball? If so please throw it out and never use it again. Those things are really dangerous for piggies. It can do serious damage to their spines.

As for playing, what size cage do you have? If it's too small she might not even have space to play! The only thing our pigs really have taken to was the little twig ball that they all seriously love to destroy. Other then that they are pretty lazy piggies. Seems like most are to be honest. XD

soccerchickgrp5

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
well one way to get Izzy to run and get exercise is to make her run after her veggies!!! That's what i do because dale just likes to chew on things and sit there.
You can also stuff a few veggies in a sock and watch her go after it.
To make her run for her veggies just hold it in your hand and walk around by her, she will eventually chase it for the food!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I think the best thing for them to play with is a pal. Short of that, ditch the store bought toys and find things in your home for her to play with. Try a toilet paper tube filled with hay or crumpled up bits of paper. You can have some tunnels for her to run through or a chube.

izzys parents

Cavy Slave
By ball do you mean an exercise ball? If so please throw it out and never use it again. Those things are really dangerous for piggies. It can do serious damage to their spines.

As for playing, what size cage do you have? If it's too small she might not even have space to play! The only thing our pigs really have taken to was the little twig ball that they all seriously love to destroy. Other then that they are pretty lazy piggies. Seems like most are to be honest. XD

You need not worry I out right refuse to put my Izzy bear in a ball
Her cage is 4ft tall 42" long 24" wide and has two levels
04302013381.jpg

Hmmmmm a twig ball? I might wanna try that. :)

Excuse the mess it was a spring cleaning day and everything was everywhere

izzys parents

Cavy Slave
I think the best thing for them to play with is a pal. Short of that, ditch the store bought toys and find things in your home for her to play with. Try a toilet paper tube filled with hay or crumpled up bits of paper. You can have some tunnels for her to run through or a chube.

Yeah I really want to get her a pal but 3 issues with that are
my aunt says no until I can convince her otherwise
If I do get another cavy, I want to adopt not purchase (no shelters that carry cavies near where I live)
Izzy is a bit territorial (Last owner was a jerk and It took awhile to get her to bond with us)
we tried the paper balls and she just sat there and ate them, and the tube, and the tunnels....

izzys parents

Cavy Slave
well one way to get Izzy to run and get exercise is to make her run after her veggies!!! That's what i do because dale just likes to chew on things and sit there.
You can also stuff a few veggies in a sock and watch her go after it.
To make her run for her veggies just hold it in your hand and walk around by her, she will eventually chase it for the food!

Now that's an Idea! never thought of doing that.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
What kind of bedding do you have in there? Looks like pine.

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
It could just as easily be aspen, which is fine for pigs. Even kiln dried pine is generally considered safe.

soccerchickgrp5

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave

alphilip77

Cavy Slave
Well if you have the space and some way to corral her (i.e. fence or pen) you could bring her outside for her floor time. Maybe the fresh air will get her spunky!

SuperGilbert

Cavy Slave
I bought my guys a fiddlesticks house, they like to run through it, along with climbing and jumping on and off of it

izzys parents

Cavy Slave

It could just as easily be aspen, which is fine for pigs. Even kiln dried pine is generally considered safe.

Its kiln dried pine, Currently Its the only thing available to me in the area that I live in the only other alternitive we have is a 4lb pound of aspen at walmart for $15.....and it would take about 10 bags to fill both levels of her cage....and I can get a 70lb bag of kiln dried pine for $7 at the local feed store. Note that before I put it in her cage I put the amount I need out for a few days to let it air out some.

izzys parents

Cavy Slave
I bought my guys a fiddlesticks house, they like to run through it, along with climbing and jumping on and off of it
I've never heard of a fiddlesticks house <o_0^ where can I find one?

(broken link removed);762559 said:
Well if you have the space and some way to corral her (i.e. fence or pen) you could bring her outside for her floor time. Maybe the fresh air will get her spunky!

We do have a play pen for her but again my aunt doesn't want her on the floor (which erks me) and my grandmother lately has been spraying the grass with poison on a regular basis...and we have outside dogs...

SuperGilbert

Cavy Slave
Wow, good question....Cant remember the name of the store, it was a small pet store in Jersey and they came in different sizes, I bought the largest one. I think it cost around $14

SuperGilbert

Cavy Slave
Its called a tropical fiddlesticks house, they carry them on amazon, get the biggest one, my guys love it.....They chew on it, run through it, climb and jump on it...makes a good nap spot too

izzys parents

Cavy Slave
Its called a tropical fiddlesticks house, they carry them on amazon, get the biggest one, my guys love it.....They chew on it, run through it, climb and jump on it...makes a good nap spot too

saw the picture of it lol looks like we already have one and she barely plays with it

izzys-parents-albums-izzy-picture48860t-04302013389.jpg

SuperGilbert

Cavy Slave
Yup, just a smaller version of the one I have.....What about a crinkle tunnel?? My gf throws her empty keurig coffee boxes into the cage, they like to toss them around

izzys parents

Cavy Slave
Yup, just a smaller version of the one I have.....What about a crinkle tunnel?? My gf throws her empty keurig coffee boxes into the cage, they like to toss them around

well we do on occasion (since we don't drink coffee or soda often) throw in the long soda boxes (or empty oatmeal tube )and she will run through them, pee on them, and then sit there and eat them..

SuperGilbert

Cavy Slave
yup, mine do the same thing

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.