Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What breed? i am going to buy a new guinea pig can any one tell me what breed it is

bonbonayasweet

Cavy Slave
Looks like a PEW coronet or a silkie. (PEW = pink eyed white) It's hard to tell with the hair all messy. Some breeders cross breed silkies and coronets so it could be a coronet and/or silky cross too.
i will wash that pig when he arrive also brush him that is fine it is so rare here to get these kind i am happy i will get it this week <3

bonbonayasweet

Cavy Slave
hehe thanks both for help <3

Traysea

Cavy Slave
I was so curious about this pig that I posted it on my other message board which has both pet owners and some breeders on it. Almost all of them said it was a silkie or silkie/coronet mix, mostly because from the photos it looks like she doesn't have the head crests or long cheek hair sweeps of a coronet. One person said that in the UK they would call her a sheltie and that it is common in the UK for breeders to cross silkies with coronets to keep the crests from spreading out too far.

bonbonayasweet

Cavy Slave
I was so curious about this pig that I posted it on my other message board which has both pet owners and some breeders on it. Almost all of them said it was a silkie or silkie/coronet mix, mostly because from the photos it looks like she doesn't have the head crests or long cheek hair sweeps of a coronet. One person said that in the UK they would call her a sheltie and that it is common in the UK for breeders to cross silkies with coronets to keep the crests from spreading out too far.
@Traysea
thanks alot for your help really happy for your attention nice :)) i am happy to her that it is hard to get that breed in my land :D i will get it tommorrow after brushing i will post new pics or a new pics with all the family

pinky

Cavy Slave

I read that silkies and shelties are the same breed but sheltie is the preferred name in the UK while we call them silkies in the U.S. If they have a full crest, it's a coronet. If it has some variations from a silkie/sheltie, it's probably a mixed breed.

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
I don't see any sign of a crest, not a coronet. It's predominantly silkie or all silkie. The hair is a tad crazy for a silkie, but that could very well be from just not being brushed, or could be from a mix.

bonbonayasweet

Cavy Slave
I don't see any sign of a crest, not a coronet. It's predominantly silkie or all silkie. The hair is a tad crazy for a silkie, but that could very well be from just not being brushed, or could be from a mix.
so you think it is a slikie or what for mix >? i am getting ice today and i will brush that hair xD and make new pics

pinky

Cavy Slave
It's hard to say. Sikies have fur that flows back off the top of the head and lays flat and smooth. There's no part along the back. Does it really matter?

bonbonayasweet

Cavy Slave
It's hard to say. Sikies have fur that flows back off the top of the head and lays flat and smooth. There's no part along the back. Does it really matter?
No it doesn't matter i wanted to just know anyway he is a long haired and i love long haird guinea pigs ( i have aslo short haired american and i like them so much) all are my childeren thanks for help honey

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
so you think it is a slikie or what for mix >? i am getting ice today and i will brush that hair xD and make new pics
Once you clean him and up and brush him, if the hair is in one direction from head to butt, then he is a silkie. But if there is anything that is pushing the hair in another direction, even the slightest bit of a whorl or cowlick, then he may have some abby or peruvian in him. The main look of him is definitely silkie.

Coronets and silkies are very much the same hair with the exception that the coronet has a crest on top of the head, just as the American short hair and the crested are very much the same hair with the exception of a crest. When you get texel or teddy, the texture of the hair is different, but these still have consistent hair direction. The abbies and Peruvians are the ones that get into hair patterns that move the hair differently, from various whorls. I am simplifying this based on hair, but when you see nice long flowing hair from head to butt, you know he is mainly silkie. If there ends up being a cowlick or two in there, then maybe there is some small bit of Abby or Peruvian in him as well. I look forward to seeing the next pics :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.