Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Breeding Breeding/ Human reproduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

skbrodie

Cavy Slave
Okay, so I know most people on here are against the breeding of overpopulated animal species (guinea pigs, cats, dogs, etc.). So, I was wondering, does this also go for humans? The human population is in fact getting very large/ to the point where we cannot support the total world population, even IF we were to redistribute our resources. So my question is, do you think humans should refrain from so much reproduction so that we can try to care for the population we already have??

I have heard this discussed in a few courses and was just wondering what everyone thinks :)

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
I don't think it's a good idea to discuss this on this forum. It could go into some truly, truly ugly areas.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
This is a common misconception. We actually do, at this point, have enough resources to care for the population we have. Now, that is care for them in a way that allows them to survive and thrive at a basic level. No, we don't have enough oil for everyone to drive a car. But, we do have plenty of food. Corruption and fake capitalism (controlling the market to ensure there is no free market) are the causes of unequal distribution of resources.

One of my areas of research is global development. I have a particular interest in African development. Africa is probably the richest continent in resources. But, alas, corruption causes difficulties in access to them.

Amalee

Cavy Slave
Yes. We are over-populated. I'm looking to adopt multiple children when I'm older, and I do wish that others would consider the same; however, it is completely up to a Woman if she wants to give birth to her own children. Do I think it is selfish in some cases? Yes. Do I think it is a completely natural desire? Yes. Are we all going to die and then our decisions wouldn't of really mattered? Yes. So, I'm a bit torn on the topic. Everyone can make their own decisions, but there are so many children already out in the world that need someone. I personally would not be able to give birth without adopting because I would feel too guilty.

This is one of the reasons I am pro-choice as well. A Woman's body is her own to do with as she pleases. Considering death comes for us all, I do not blame people for not adopting. I hope that abortion laws become more lenient (the fact I even have to hope for my own rights as a Woman disgusts me) and religion is removed from Sex Ed so generations can move forward instead of backwards.

TLDR; All human beings are selfish, but we are also selfless. Neither is a flaw but there are often repercussions no matter what you decide.

skbrodie

Cavy Slave
I don't think it's a good idea to discuss this on this forum. It could go into some truly, truly ugly areas.

Yes I have heard lots of things on this topic that can be considered very offensive (from both sides of the argument). I just think it's a very interesting thought, especially since I personally don't believe humans are any better/above than other animals.

skbrodie

Cavy Slave
@Amalee, I'm also a bit torn on the topic, everything you said makes sense.

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
I don't really see what the problem is? Some of the other threads get very very ugly :/ I'm just asking a question.

It's a short jump from general reflections on human population to eugenics, assisted suicide, elder care, etc. Worthy topics off this forum, but the flame war would take about 2 seconds to start.

It will also bring in religion and politics (and already has), which are forbidden on this forum.

skbrodie

Cavy Slave
It's a short jump from general reflections on human population to eugenics, assisted suicide, elder care, etc. Worthy topics off this forum, but the flame war would take about 2 seconds to start.

It will also bring in religion and politics (and already has), which are forbidden on this forum.

Yeeaahh I guess I wasn't thinking about the other topics that could stem from this. I just have witnessed several discussions about this topic and see so much about breeding it made sense in my mind that it could be discussed just in relation to that, but I see what you're thinking now. Can I close it on my own? I'm not so into the crazy wars myself lol

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave

Maybe, it's because I teach sociology and TA women's studies, but you can have conversations about these topics in a respectful manner. I don't think it's fair to close it, if people can be respectful. If people bring religion and politics into it, a warning from a moderator would be appropriate. But, I think shutting down communication when people are wanting to talk about a topic is detrimental.

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
Maybe, it's because I teach sociology and TA women's studies, but you can have conversations about these topics in a respectful manner. I don't think it's fair to close it, if people can be respectful. If people bring religion and politics into it, a warning from a moderator would be appropriate. But, I think shutting down communication when people are wanting to talk about a topic is detrimental.

I have both an academic background and a background in the (sometimes violent) realities of these discussions. There is zero way, in my opinion, to have an online discussion about such a nuanced topic without getting into areas that are forbidden in this forum, including religion and politics, even though folks already have. Bashing folks' religion and political persuasion is not useful. And, lest you say that it is possible to have this discussion without bashing, you'll note above that the bashing has already started.

I defer to the moderators on this, of course, but the pain that WILL come up here on this thread will serve little or no purpose, in my opinion and substantial experience.

Amalee

Cavy Slave
I didn't bash anyone. I find it border-line hysterical that [MENTION=19254]Wildcavy[/MENTION] is trying to avoid a fight on a forum while simultaneously starting one themselves. People crack me up sometimes.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
I have both an academic background and a background in the (sometimes violent) realities of these discussions. There is zero way, in my opinion, to have an online discussion about such a nuanced topic without getting into areas that are forbidden in this forum, including religion and politics, even though folks already have. Bashing folks' religion and political persuasion is not useful. And, lest you say that it is possible to have this discussion without bashing, you'll note above that the bashing has already started.

I defer to the moderators on this, of course, but the pain that WILL come up here on this thread will serve little or no purpose, in my opinion and substantial experience.

I've been reading this forum since 2009, and a member of various other online forums since 1999. I have seen plenty of fights. I still think closing something to be prevent a fight is stifling discussion. The point of me stating my academic background was to demonstrate that I have experience with these topics, and that I've seen plenty of conversations (I've taught online, ICN and face to face) that are completely civil.

I don't understand why you are trying to stir something up with the way you worded your posts "I beg a moderator please close this thread"? Is it to get a fight started to get it closed? Or go off topic? I mean if you were really concerned you could've just contacted the moderators, instead of making a big scene about it. Let them make the choice, and left it well enough alone. Instead, you seem to be trying to stir up a controversy when there really hadn't been any problems as of yet.

Last edited:

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
I didn't bash anyone. I find it border-line hysterical that @Wildcavy is trying to avoid a fight on a forum while simultaneously starting one themselves. People crack me up sometimes.

This is my point. The condescension has started. We may actually agree on things in real life; the topic to me, frankly, is too important to discuss on this forum.

BrowniesMemory

Cavy Slave
I to wish to adopt some day, but at the same time I've dreamed of having kids. Actually I've dreamed that I had twins. lol Anyway, some day I wish to have my own place where I can not only take in abused, neglected, and unwanted horses, dog, etc. but I want to provide a place for unwanted or abused children where they can learn that there is someone out there that cares about what happens to them. Also they would be able to learn so much that animals have to teach us.

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
I've been reading this forum since 2009, and a member of various other online forums since 1999. I have seen plenty of fights. I still think closing something to be prevent a fight is stifling discussion. The point of me stating my academic background was to demonstrate that I have experience with these topics, and that I've seen plenty of conversations (I've taught online, ICN and face to face) that are completely civil.

I appreciate that you stated your academic background -- it's an important part of a conversation especially since it shows "real life," non-theoretical experiences.

As I said, I defer to the moderators' opinions.

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
YI hope that abortion laws become more lenient (the fact I even have to hope for my own rights as a Woman disgusts me) and religion is removed from Sex Ed so generations can move forward instead of backwards.

Okay, I'll bite: how is this not saying that religion is backward / moves us backward / prevents progress? are all religions universally having a negative impact on sex ed and personal responsibility? aren't some faiths "progressive"? how do we define "progressive"?

If your intention wasn't to say that religion is backward, or at least not all religion, it again points to my concern that we cannot adequately address this issue in this forum.

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
I don't understand why you are trying to stir something up with the way you worded your posts "I beg a moderator please close this thread"? Is it to get a fight started to get it closed? Or go off topic? I mean if you were really concerned you could've just contacted the moderators, instead of making a big scene about it. Let them make the choice, and left it well enough alone. Instead, you seem to be trying to stir up a controversy when there really hadn't been any problems as of yet.

Because it's a topic that has come up before, sneaking into threads (so to speak). And yes, the moderators should be the ones to make the choice, of course.

It's not about making a "big scene" -- it's really about trying to wave a red flag. But I take your point.

Amalee

Cavy Slave
@Wildcavy I can't see anything in the rules that talks about religion, but I'm going to be safe and not make any comments on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.