Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated Do I worry too much?

Tgrady

Cavy Slave
Sometimes, one or both of my piggies will be laying very still. I get so worried that I say their name, just to make sure they?re still alive...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Peanut_Butter2

Cavy Slave
Sometimes, one or both of my piggies will be laying very still. I get so worried that I say their name, just to make sure they?re still alive...

Probably a bit paranoid we've all been there!

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I think a lot of us here understand how fragile pigs can be, and I know that I've done the same thing on occasion. I would bet money that the majority of us here have done something similar. I've even started scratching poor Sly's nose while he was in a deep sleep and didn't respond to my voice. It gave him a hell of a fright and startled him awake. I felt really bad afterward, especially with the look he gave me.

GeekKate

Cavy Slave
@Tgrady That's how I am right now. I've lost 2 pigs this month. Penny ((broken link removed)) passed away earlier this month. She was 8 years old so I imagine it was due to old age. She was a well traveled pig (moved from CA to Long Island, NY and then back to CA with her 2 sisters that passed last year) and had a good, long life. Her buddy, Jaina, passed away 2.5 weeks ago. She was only 3. I don't know what happened with her... She was eating but she was extremely underweight. The vet gave us critical care to give to her as well as an antibiotic and wanted us to bring her back in 2 weeks but she didn't make it.

Both of my girls I found passed in the kitchen, so every time I see one of my piggies laying in the kitchen I have to check. I also check every morning to make sure every one is still breathing. It's been a rough month in my house :(

EDIT: I forgot to add that we had our vet do a necropsy on Jaina to see if he could determine what she passed from but it didn't turn up anything. As far as he could tell everything looked normal... no tumors and no signs of disease. His best guess was that maybe it was some sort of gastrointestinal problem since she was eating but wasn't gaining weight. :(

Tgrady

Cavy Slave
@Tgrady That's how I am right now. I've lost 2 pigs this month. Penny ((broken link removed)) passed away earlier this month. She was 8 years old so I imagine it was due to old age. She was a well traveled pig (moved from CA to Long Island, NY and then back to CA with her 2 sisters that passed last year) and had a good, long life. Her buddy, Jaina, passed away 2.5 weeks ago. She was only 3. I don't know what happened with her... She was eating but she was extremely underweight. The vet gave us critical care to give to her as well as an antibiotic and wanted us to bring her back in 2 weeks but she didn't make it.

Both of my girls I found passed in the kitchen, so every time I see one of my piggies laying in the kitchen I have to check. I also check every morning to make sure every one is still breathing. It's been a rough month in my house :(

EDIT: I forgot to add that we had our vet do a necropsy on Jaina to see if he could determine what she passed from but it didn't turn up anything. As far as he could tell everything looked normal... no tumors and no signs of disease. His best guess was that maybe it was some sort of gastrointestinal problem since she was eating but wasn't gaining weight. :(

I?m so sorry you had that happen! This is my first time with piggies, so I?m always worried it could happen any day now. Especially with Cheeseburgers. He?s lost almost a pound and I have no idea why. He chows down like there?s no tomorrow, but he?s still only 2.5 lb instead of his normal 3.3

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I think the feelings and worry may intensify after losing one, especially in the circumstances such as Jaina's. When there's no rhyme or reason to it, I think it makes us all tend to be a little more paranoid about our pigs well being. That said, we can also worry ourselves sick over nothing.

The trick is to find a happy balance. Learning the signs of a beginning illness, and learning our pigs routines and personalities, will help us detect a possible problem hopefully early enough that we can get them the help they need.
[MENTION=13270]GeekKate[/MENTION], I am so sorry for your losses. Penny had a wonderful life at 8 years, I wish that my Pooper had gone that long. And when you lose one in the manner that you lost Jaina, it's absolutely heartbreaking. My most sincere condolences on losing both of them.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I?m so sorry you had that happen! This is my first time with piggies, so I?m always worried it could happen any day now. Especially with Cheeseburgers. He?s lost almost a pound and I have no idea why. He chows down like there?s no tomorrow, but he?s still only 2.5 lb instead of his normal 3.3

That is a LOT of weight for a pig to lose. What time frame has he lost this weight in? Has Cheeseburgers seen a vet?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Tgrady

Cavy Slave
That is a LOT of weight for a pig to lose. What time frame has he lost this weight in? Has Cheeseburgers seen a vet?

A couple of weeks. I?ve been trying to get in but I honestly haven?t found the time. Work has been a huge struggle and the vet is 30 minutes away

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You need to make the time. Ditto bpatters. This is an emergency. You are going to lose Cheeseburgers if you don't get this solved ASAP.

Tgrady

Cavy Slave
You need to make the time. Ditto bpatters. This is an emergency. You are going to lose Cheeseburgers if you don't get this solved ASAP.

Like I said, I?ve been trying. I know everyone uses work as an excuse, but I promise I?ve not been lazy about it

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No one understand work being a hassle more than I. I am on call 24/7/365. When people are at home sleeping, I'm working. When everyone is at home opening Christmas gifts, I'm on the highway. I understand your dilemma, I really do.

But this is an emergency. Losing that much weight in a couple of weeks is a dramatic loss, and whatever it is, it's serious. Check his front teeth. If they have an angle to them, he's likely suffering from malocclusion. It may seem like he's eating, but he's really only just trying.

Cheeseburgers is depending on you. I can't stress enough how important it is that you get him in, NOW.

My boar Sly has an appointment tomorrow morning. My boss booked me all day tomorrow, and I reminded him that I have an appointment tomorrow morning. He wasn't happy, but I told him that whatever he booked he can change it. I won't be there.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto [MENTION=35161]Guinea Pig Papa[/MENTION]. He's your responsibility, and he needs care, ASAP. He's lost 25% of his body weight, and you're going to lose him if you don't get him to an exotic vet ASAP.

CupcakeCavy

Cavy Slave
I have a piggy with chronic illnesses so I totally get how you feel. Sometimes she lays perfectly still and I swear my heart skips a beat.

It may be a bit paranoid but everyone reacts to things differently than others.

I wouldn't be to worried about this, but every time this happens stop and take three deep breaths and assure yourself they are OK.

If you are still worried you can slowly approach the cage and watch them for a second to show yourself they are still breathing. This way you wont wake them up each time just to make sure they are OK.

Hope this helps!

CupcakeCavy

Cavy Slave
Goodness I didn't read about how much weight he has lost before I commented. Please take Cheeseburger to an exotic vet as soon as possible. Losing a pound is a HUGE amount of weight for a guinea pig.

Before they show any other signs of illness you will notice weight loss. If you need help finding a good vet please just ask! This forum has many people and resources that can help you find an appropriate vet.

I understand that you are busy with work but your animals need to come first. They depend on you. Think of them as your kids, they can't take care of themselves. You are the caregiver here and you need to take the initiative to get your animal into a vet ASAP!

Tgrady

Cavy Slave
So sorry I forgot to update! The vet didn?t find anything wrong with Cheeseman. His teeth are straight and trimmed, he hasn?t got a cough, nothing else seems physically wrong

CupcakeCavy

Cavy Slave
Is the problem still occurring? Did you take him to a vet that specializes in exotic animals and see's guinea pigs regularly?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
So sorry I forgot to update! The vet didn?t find anything wrong with Cheeseman. His teeth are straight and trimmed, he hasn?t got a cough, nothing else seems physically wrong

I'm glad you got him in, and everything appears fine. But I have to say, I have a couple of questions.

Is the vet you saw indeed an exotics vet, not just a small animal vet?

Is there a possibility that you're reading the scale incorrectly, and that he hasn't actually lost almost a pound in only two weeks? It's extremely unlikely that he's lost that much weight, and there be nothing wrong. You would seriously notice that much weight missing from him.

GeekKate

Cavy Slave
With my Jaina the vet couldn't find anything wrong with her other than the weight loss and that she was running a fever. Even after she passed and a necropsy was performed he didn't notice anything out of the norm :(

I hope that perhaps [MENTION=3221]GuineaPig[/MENTION]papa is correct and that you're just reading the scale incorrectly! My herd is wishing your piggie the best though <3

Tgrady

Cavy Slave
With my Jaina the vet couldn't find anything wrong with her other than the weight loss and that she was running a fever. Even after she passed and a necropsy was performed he didn't notice anything out of the norm :(

I hope that perhaps [MENTION=3221]GuineaPig[/MENTION]papa is correct and that you're just reading the scale incorrectly! My herd is wishing your piggie the best though <3

Unfortunately, I?ve been reading it correctly. Yes, he?s an exotic animals vet, and I actually did notice Cheesy's weight. That?s what had me concerned in the first place :/

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.