Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Photos yay for fleece flippers!

CoffeeAddict

Cavy Slave
Today, @muddygrl came over to my house and sewed me some fleece flippers!
She's awesome, and the flippers are awesome. I think I might even like them more than Chewy does, haha.

yay for fleece flippers!yay for fleece flippers!

I made a loft for his cage, but I don't have a ramp that is safe for him right now because apparently the one I made wasn't good enough, and he just wanted to jump off it. I think I might just expand it out to a 2x5 instead of a 2x4 with a loft, though. I'm still thinking about how to make it all work.

bonniesueep

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
My fleece flippers should be here Tuesday! Im very excited! I only bought one set because I figured I would just make a set later... glad you are happy. I feel the same way when I get new stuff for my girls, I think I'm more excited than them!

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
Those look amazing! Can I ask a question? Ive heard so much about U-Haul pads? What is their purpose in it?

bonniesueep

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
U haul fabric is super absorbent, it is used as a middle to absorb urine

CoffeeAddict

Cavy Slave
Those look amazing! Can I ask a question? Ive heard so much about U-Haul pads? What is their purpose in it?

The Uhaul pads go in between the layers of fleece to absorb all of the pee. They're pretty cheap, too.

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
@bonniesueep and @CoffeeAddict Thanks lol, since it absorbs, I would imagine it has to be changed? Or can it be washed with the fleece to get it clean? Sorry for such newbie questions, they look very interesting to me :D
Do the uhaul pads tear or.. lose form? (Loss of words lol)
Thanks again lol

CoffeeAddict

Cavy Slave
Thanks lol, since it absorbs, I would imagine it has to be changed? Or can it be washed with the fleece to get it clean? Sorry for such newbie questions, they look very interesting to me :D
Do the uhaul pads tear or.. lose form? (Loss of words lol)
Thanks again lol
They can be washed with the fleece. I haven't had mine for very long, but they're thick enough that they don't tear and you can cut them into whatever shape you want without having to worry about anything falling out of it. It's hard to explain what it is. They're just a thick piece of fabric, pretty much. When I wash mine I always find balls of the fabric where it starts to come apart, but with the amount that comes off in the wash compared to how much there is, I imagine I'll be re-using them for a very long time.
They're more than worth the money that I paid for them. It was only $8 for one and they're huge. I used one and had two layers for my 2x4 cage, with some left over.

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
Okay, cool :D and Yeah I see what you mean lol, I bought some at 7.50? ( I think? ) and im hoping to cut it make some fleece flippers of my own ;) I ordered some coroplast bases from this site, rather than pay 115$ for 6 flippers. (Nearly dropped out of my chair seeing the price..) Reason being, I need to make 12 of them. (;) 2x6 with extention 2x6, making an L!) Anyway, thank you for your help :D Is there anything else I need to know before I go out and try to make these? lol

CoffeeAddict

Cavy Slave
The way you worded that makes it seem like you're using the coroplast instead of flippers, idk if I'm misunderstanding or not, but the flippers are to go on top of the coroplast. The coroplast is just the base :)
but yeah, the price on the website was outrageous to me. I bought my own coroplast to make my base and it was only $20 for a piece that was 4'x8', and then I bought some fleece at walmart for the flippers and got some help making them since I don't sew.
I just put one color fabric on each side, so I know when I've flipped them and when I haven't, and left one end open to pull the uhaul pads out when I wash it. I put 2 layers of uhaul pad inside my flippers

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
Oh sorry, I ment that I bought a huge uhaul pad for 7.50 online lol My bad.
Pffft! Where do you guys find 15-20$ coroplast that's a 4x8' sheet? All the sign shops around me have then for almost $40+
2 layers of uhaul pads, meaning one on each side of the coroplast? Way im imaging it, is the fleece is like a pillow case, and the coroplast is in the middle, giving it the form and stiffness so they (The piggies) cant move it around. And the uhaul goes on both sides of the coroplast for extra 'comfort' and absorbness. Ahaha sorry if it doesn't make sense!

CoffeeAddict

Cavy Slave
Oh sorry, I ment that I bought a huge uhaul pad for 7.50 online lol My bad.
Pffft! Where do you guys find 15-20$ coroplast that's a 4x8' sheet? All the sign shops around me have then for almost $40+
2 layers of uhaul pads, meaning one on each side of the coroplast? Way im imaging it, is the fleece is like a pillow case, and the coroplast is in the middle, giving it the form and stiffness so they (The piggies) cant move it around. And the uhaul goes on both sides of the coroplast for extra 'comfort' and absorbness. Ahaha sorry if it doesn't make sense!

That's exactly what I mean :) That's the way I'm doing it, too. The coroplast I got was from a little tiny sign shop that is behind a bunch of other buildings that I doubt ever gets any business. He sold me a piece he had doodled on for $10 and I was going to use the plain side for the cage, but then I messed it up. After that he sold me the 4x8 for $20, but he said they're regularly $25. I just explained to him what I was doing with the cage and he thought it sounded neat.

bonniesueep

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
yay for fleece flippers! got my new flippers!

Pecos

Cavy Slave
Sorry if this has been asked....where can I get the uhaul material?

CoffeeAddict

Cavy Slave
Sorry if this has been asked....where can I get the uhaul material?

I bought mine at a Uhaul store here. You could probably order them online from Uhaul if you don't have any local. They're just furniture pads :)

Talking Cavy

Cavy Slave
Today, @muddygrl came over to my house and sewed me some fleece flippers!
She's awesome, and the flippers are awesome. I think I might even like them more than Chewy does, haha.

View attachment 61596View attachment 61597

I made a loft for his cage, but I don't have a ramp that is safe for him right now because apparently the one I made wasn't good enough, and he just wanted to jump off it. I think I might just expand it out to a 2x5 instead of a 2x4 with a loft, though. I'm still thinking about how to make it all work.
Those are so cool! Can she make me one! Teehee! LOL

CoffeeAddict

Cavy Slave
Those are so cool! Can she make me one! Teehee! LOL

She's so nice that I bet if you lived around here she would lol. When I found my guinea pig outside, I posted on facebook about needing some things for him since I was totally unprepared, and she met me and gave me food, a water bottle, a food dish, and some hay without even knowing me. Then she referred me here, and we've been best facebook buddies ever since! lol
She came over to my house last Sunday to help make my flippers and bring me some Ivermectin because I suspected Chewy had mites. She's aweeesome

Talking Cavy

Cavy Slave
I do live were u do.

Talking Cavy

Cavy Slave
I rather not tell my mom doesn't want me giving info out like that!:(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.