Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Piggie fight help!

rdolencie

Cavy Slave
Hi I just got 2 new baby guinea pigs about a week ago. They are both males and came from the same mother according to the pet store but all of a sudden they are starting to fight and chase each other and today I saw one nip at the other one. They are only about a month old, I don't know what to do and I'm so worried they might get hurt. Is this normal? I'd love any advice please!

Melissa Lynne

Cavy Gazer
Hi! I am new to this site. I am having the same issues with my piggies not getting along, all of a sudden. They are both female. I got them at 4 weeks old. They have been in the same cage this whole time. I have had them for about 5 months. Im guessing they are around 6 months of age. The past couple of days have been so stressful. I purchased a new habitat for them last week to give them more room to play. Prior to me putting them in there, they started chutting and making weird noises in the cage they have been in all along. All of a sudden, they reared up and went at it. I was able to break them up however this has never happened before! They have literally grown up together and I don't understand. All of the research I have done, it points to one or both being in season. The new habitat I purchased has a divider so I have them in the same area but separated. They can see each other through the "cage divider" and when they meet face to face, they sniff at first, almost kissing which is cute, but then the chutting starts again. I kept them separated all weekend, as this behavior started Thursday night. I tried reintroducing them again yesterday afternoon and after a couple of quick bootie sniffs, they were right back at each other. I have them separated again however I am so upset! I never thought they would get nasty with one another and I am wondering if this is going to be a permanent thing? I am not sure what to do. Can someone please point me in the right direction? I feel horrible they are separated! Please help me get my piggies back together.

mjalred

Cavy Slave
Well, neither have you have said the size of the cages, so that could be the problem. How are the big are the cages? This is more than likely a dominance issue. Unless blood is drawn, there is no need to seperate them. Just keep them together for now, and let them be. It may help to take out the hideys.

mjalred

Cavy Slave
As for the males, they should be in at LEAST 2x4 cage, and are probably just sorting out dominance

rdolencie

Cavy Slave
As for the males, they should be in at LEAST 2x4 cage, and are probably just sorting out dominance
Thank you so much we definetly have a cage that is that size or a little bigger I don't know the exact measurements. I'm going to look into buying one even bigger if that will help

scoottie

Cavy Slave
No they should be in at at least a 2x5 but 2x6 is better bigger is always better.

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
I want to also note that around here when someone says 2x5 cage they mean 2 grids by 4 grids. A grid is 14 inches square plus the spaces between. A 2x5 cage is a good amount bigger than 2 feet x 5 feet.

Melissa Lynne

Cavy Gazer
The new cage I just purchased is 4 feet long by 2.5 feet wide. I have tried reuniting them twice now and they still go after one another. the chutting starts and then its on. I am afraid they are going to hurt each other. Should I try the bathing thing? any input is appreciated!

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
That most likely will not work with a boar pair.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The cage isn't big enough for two boars, especially two that are going through adolescence.

If you've separated them, you'll have to do reintroductions. See https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html. But don't bother until you get a larger cage.

Melissa Lynne

Cavy Gazer
I have 2 females. They are 5 months old. They have grown up together since they were 4 weeks old. I just upgraded the cage for them to have more room. is 4x2.5 not big enough?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It probably is for two females, especially since they've always been together. Males just need more room to stay out of each other's faces.

Melissa Lynne

Cavy Gazer
why do you think they are fighting now? I don't understand. they literally wanna kill each other. this happened out of nowhere. do you think they could be in season?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, they could both be in heat.

A new cage can sometimes set off dominance struggles.

What do you mean by "they want to kill each other?" What are they doing?

Melissa Lynne

Cavy Gazer
Charlotte, piggy in question, is chutting and her hair is standing up all over her back and very fluffed out around her neck. Brie, the other piggy, is more laid back and not really acting out. Brie has been going up to Charlotte and smelling her butt. As soon as Brie gets anywhere hear Charlotte, she starts chutting, her hair stands up and then they both go at each other. The only way I can explain it is like when 2 girls (humans) go after each other to fight. They kinda get up on their hind legs and attack. I put the cage divider in between them, twice, when this happened, to make sure they didn't hurt each other. they are separated now in the new cage I bought since it did come with a divider. they each have their own house, food bowl and water bottle. they will sniff each other through the divider but sometimes the chutting will start up again with Charlotte. Brie definitely seems to not really understand what is going on. My poor piggies :(

Melissa Lynne

Cavy Gazer
thank you so much for the link! it was extremely educational and I think will be very helpful in this process!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.