Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Cats and guinea pigs

corgiqueen

Cavy Slave
Um, does anyone else have a kitten who won't part with their guinea pig? My kitten's about 8 months old. My bf bought me my guinea pig like a week ago. I moved her a day ago into the second bathroom's tub and out of the store-bought cage. Today my c&c cage is to be delivered.
So, the pig is in the bathtub, but my kitten goes in and hangs with the pig. She talks to him while they hang out, and comes out of her hide in the tub when he gets in there. I should've taken a picture of them lying down together. During floor time, she follows the kitten around the living room. She's more likely to be allowed to be approached if the kitten is there with her, otherwise she bolts and hides. Anyone else have a guinea pig bonded to another species of pet?

Nicks Pigs

Cavy Slave
The both of them are interested. Be careful though, and watch all interaction, as things can turn bad. Be sure the kitten does not hurt the guinea pig.

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
I haven't had that issue with the cats in my house two are hunters so they are kept away from the pigs and my big boy charmander seems to think the pigs are going to eat him. Poor skittish kitty.

corgiqueen

Cavy Slave
Today the kitten has munched on hay and laid on it. He likes to scratch the grass teepee and peek in it. Our kitten sucks at hunting. My dog is the one who gets all the spiders.

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393045831.994282.jpgcharmander and ozzy all was well until ozzy tried to kiss the cat and poor charmander got scared. My cat fails at being a cat but he's a sweet big boy.

corgiqueen

Cavy Slave
That is the most darling photo ever!

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
I know char is such a good boy. Absolutely no prey drive and loves to curl up in my lap for pets and a nap.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
All it takes is one time. I know a gal who had a bird and cat who were bonded. They hung out with each other. It was a few years, then one day something snapped in the cat and the bird was killed. I would never put different species together even if they love to hang and are doing ok right now. All it takes is one time someone gets pissed. They aren't like us to think no way would we harm someone we love. It's totally instinctive.

laurenlove

Cavy Slave
How cute!! My cat is actually scared of my guinea pigs haha :D

Maverick475

Cavy Slave
I have a cat who I think- thinks the guinea pigs are her babies or she is a guinea pig herself. She will go in their C&C and lay down/nap with them. Every morning I put down fresh veggies and Momma Cat is in there sniffing while Blossom and Oreo munch away.

Smile4amile

Cavy Slave
I have a friend that has a guinea pig and she accidentally left it out on the couch and she had 4 cats! When they got home the cats where snuggling with the guinea pigs! LOL

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
I have three cats and char is the only one I trust with the little critters. He doesn't know how to hunt or even play. He's also afraid of cat toys, bugs, and the occasional shadow and if a bird flies by the window he runs and hides. He is a big snuggle bug though and doesn't have a mean bone in his body. I finally got him to trust me enough to bathe him (he's a rescue who lived in a dog crate for months before I got him so he reeked of pee) and he didn't even unsheathe his claws. He's such a sweet timid boy and all he wants in this world is to be loved.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I'm just saying, all it takes is one time as the case I stated above. I've heard of other cases which shocked owners. It's a gamble no matter how much they seem to love each other, things can change.

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
I've been working with companion animals for over 15 years. This cat is an animal who is so fearful he doesn't eat unless he is on my lap I have to physically carry him to the litter box because he's afraid to come out into the open but settles down happily once he is on a lap and doesn't budge until he is placed on the floor at which time he runs for cover. He doesn't know how to interact with cats or how to even be a cat. The only time he feels safe is when he is with me. He is only around my guinea pigs and rats when he is on my lap and he does not move unless one of the critters touches him at which time he is diving for a place to hide.

corgiqueen

Cavy Slave
Have you seen My Cat from Hell? The guy deals with very shy cats, and helps them not be afraid of anything. Something to do about owning the space they are. Apparently we're supposed to let them be tree dwellers, meaning have lots of high places for the cats to be on so they feel safe in a room, instead of being bush dwellers and hiding under things. You should check it out if you have Netflix.
I promise I will keep a close eye on the guinea pig and the cat. Right now Sausage is out for floor time and the cat just decided to fall asleep on her hay pile. The funny thing is that Sausage eats hay from under him.

I've been working with companion animals for over 15 years. This cat is an animal who is so fearful he doesn't eat unless he is on my lap I have to physically carry him to the litter box because he's afraid to come out into the open but settles down happily once he is on a lap and doesn't budge until he is placed on the floor at which time he runs for cover. He doesn't know how to interact with cats or how to even be a cat. The only time he feels safe is when he is with me. He is only around my guinea pigs and rats when he is on my lap and he does not move unless one of the critters touches him at which time he is diving for a place to hide.

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
He has lots of high places but he's either under the couch or on my lap.

claudinehere

Cavy Slave
The photo is so cute!! Haha! :) I have a friend who has both a guinea pig and a cat, the cat is actually scared of the guinea pig because the piggy bullies it XD

GeekPrincess

Cavy Slave
I have 4 cats - 1 is completely ambivalent towards the boys, 2 are slightly frightened of them and 1 likes to sniff them and rub her face against them and try to groom them but she's never been alone with them loose, and I still lock her in the room with the other cats during floor time. She only ever got as close as she did because I missed her and she surprised me. She's a sweet cat, but she's a cat and all it would take is one swipe to do serious damage.

Growing up I had a bichon, and he was a sweet, gentle, patient dog. We also had a parakeet. One day, my dad was holding the bird and the dog kept hopping around his feet, to see what he had. So my dad let him sniff the bird, thinking that the dog who was terrified of chipmunks and kittens would be fine. The dog tried to bite the birds head off. Thank god, my dad stopped him and the bird was fine (he lived another 7 years I think) and I wasn't forever traumatized, but it's a good lesson - instinct will always win in the end.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.