Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Connectors New Cage Help!

Clovers

Cavy Slave
I am getting a new guinea pig and needed to make a bigger cage so I've got the coroplast and fleece (still have to get towels) and I have a few questions to ask. First, I'll tell you about the cage. I am making a 2x4 bottom and a 1x2 top kitchen area. Also, I'm going to be using the connectors only because it is more stirdy than the ties, and it makes the cage bigger. The last cages I have made were with the ties.
As I was setting up the cage, I realized that, because of the connectors, the coroplast on the top is going to be smaller than I had first thought. I've seen this kind of cage many times before online. Has anyone made a cage like this using the connectors? And did you think the space was big enough for the food stuff one top?
I have a boar and since he is not neutered am getting another boar. The adoption agency I'm going through lists their pets on petfinder and I look to see if any have gone or if there are new boys. The other day, I was looking and noticed that one of my favorites was gone and upon further research, I found out he was adopted. now, I feel that I have less chance of getting a guinea pig I want because Bear might not get along with them. Is it hard to find good matches or do I have a good chance?

P.S. I've been wanting to post pictures but my Mom lent the camera to someone and I haven't been able to get it back yet! >(

Clovers

Cavy Slave
P.P.S. I forgot to mention that the cubes didn't come with enough connectors so shoudl I order some or could I substitute zip ties for some?

Catahoula

Cavy Slave
There's nothing wrong with making your cage out of connectors. But you can use the zip-ties with connectors to add extra stability (especially for a loft). If you check out the photo galleries you can see dozens of example of how others have made theirs.

You are right, that because of the connectors you have to make sure your coroplast base fits inside them, but it won't cause a problem. I have a 1x3 loft for my 3 pigs and it's enough room for all three to be up there plus 2 hay racks, 3 pellet dishes, and 1 or 2 watter bottles.

Here's a picture...
new cage 2.jpg

Clovers

Cavy Slave
Another question. We put the coroplast on the outside for the bottom. Is that okay?

Catahoula

Cavy Slave
@spy9doc - Thanks for the compliment. I really can't take too much credit. I used all the ideas I found on this site. Seriously, I mean months of looking at pictures and picking out what features I liked and what people said worked well. I have everyone one here to thank for my cage.

My ramp is 2 bent grids zip-tied together. Since the grids are 9 squares wide, I have 5 squares in the middle and 2 on either side to make railings. Then I have a piece of coroplast cut to size and scored to fit inside to make a solid surface. The fleece was sewn into a very simple pocket to remove easily. My ramp is still a little slick so I'm thinking about gluing popsicle sticks to the coro, under the fleece, to add more traction.

[MENTION=20646]Clovers[/MENTION] - Coroplast on the outside works just as good if you're already in the habit of cleaning it that way. Obviously you can't put it on the outside for the upper level, but a 2x1 area is still big enough for 2 piggies to eat.

Catahoula

Cavy Slave
@spy9doc - I definitely considered the stair tread material and really wanted to use it. But, I read a thread about how sand paper isn't good to use and thought the stair tread was too much like sand paper. If you don't think this is the case, let me know and I'll go check it out for myself at the hardware store.

This might seem like an odd offer, but if you continue to have no luck with bending your grids I could bend 2 of my extra ones and ship them to you. Their pretty light weight, so I can't imagine it would cost a lot to send them in the post.

Clovers

Cavy Slave
Update! I ordered some connectors today because I wanted it to be more sturdy. Thanks for all your help!

Catahoula

Cavy Slave
Update! I ordered some connectors today because I wanted it to be more sturdy. Thanks for all your help!

Be sure to post pictures when you're all done (and get your camera back).

We'd love to see all your hard work!!

Catahoula

Cavy Slave
@spy9doc - Oh, THAT stair stuff!! That seems like a fantastic idea. My piggies don't seem to wee or poo on the ramp, but even if they did it could be easily cleaned. Plus I could vacuum it really easily, since my pigs like to drag shavings from their loft down the ramp.

GREAT IDEA!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.