Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Is this cage big enough for 1 pig?

hellobritty

Cavy Slave
uploadfromtaptalk1394416315781.jpg

Ordered this from Ebay. I figured it has to be better than the crappy pet store cage she's in now. :/

sabrinaxceleste

Cavy Slave
What you'll hear here a lot is that bigger is always better and that you should consider getting a second piggy, and that if you did get a second piggy, then it wouldn't be big enough. But typically, for one pig, a 2x3 is standard size. :3
However, you'll also probably hear some comments about the ramp. It's highly recommended to have a ramp with a lip / rim at the sides to prevent the pig from falling off and inuring itself.

That said, that coroplast is a really awesome color.

hellobritty

Cavy Slave
What you'll hear here a lot is that bigger is always better and that you should consider getting a second piggy, and that if you did get a second piggy, then it wouldn't be big enough. But typically, for one pig, a 2x3 is standard size. :3
However, you'll also probably hear some comments about the ramp. It's highly recommended to have a ramp with a lip / rim at the sides to prevent the pig from falling off and inuring itself.

That said, that coroplast is a really awesome color.

I want a second pig but cannot for the life of Me find a rescue in my area! I can always expand this cage. And I know I love the color too! :) I'll have to do something about the ramp I guess I think that will be her kitchen :D

hellobritty

Cavy Slave
Oh! And does this need a lid? I mean can she get out?

Rywen

Cavy Slave
It looks like you could take the loft down and use it to make the cage a 2x4 (I think you could tape or glue the loft chloroplast to the other chloroplast to make it big enoughI. If there are no rescues near you can look for someone rehoming on guinea pig zone, pet finder, or Craig's list (but watch out for breeders there).

hellobritty

Cavy Slave
It looks like you could take the loft down and use it to make the cage a 2x4 (I think you could tape or glue the loft chloroplast to the other chloroplast to make it big enoughI. If there are no rescues near you can look for someone rehoming on guinea pig zone, pet finder, or Craig's list (but watch out for breeders there).

Does it need a lid? I looked on craigslist and nobody near me has any pigs. I'll try the other ones

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I started my gp with a 2 x 3 like that. It doesn't need a lid. Lids are usually for you have other animals that could get in. I would forget the loft and expand it to 2 x 4. Loft is cute and all but not necessary. GP would appreciate more main floor room. If you choose to keep the ramp/loft, you'll need to put sides on the ramp so gp won't fall/jump off.

hellobritty

Cavy Slave
I only have hamsters so I doubt they Will be trying to eat my pig, Lol. What about the fleece bedding? I just wash it once a week? What do I put underneath to soak up the pee?

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
No it does not need a lid guinea pigs can't climb. Really people only use lids to keep out other pets like cats or dogs.

The ramp is basically fine but for a young guinea pig sides are best.

The size of the cage is perfect for one pig. But if you get her a friend you'll need to expand. It looks really good.

I'm sorry your having trouble finding a rescue. But keep looking and I'm pretty sure you'll find one. I'm sure you'll find the perfect little buddy for her. Good luck.:)

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
I only have hamsters so I doubt they Will be trying to eat my pig, Lol. What about the fleece bedding? I just wash it once a week? What do I put underneath to soak up the pee?

You can use towels or even uhaul pads if you can get a hold of any. If you get uhaul pads get the 8 dollar ones the ones made of recycled denim. You can also use a layer of puppy pad or mattress pads then towels. Which ever method works for you I would reccamend trying a few different things before deciding. Not everyone likes using the same methods. You really have to decide what's the best method. Some people like washing everything, while others like just throwing most of it away.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
You can also try a site called petfinder to look for buddies :)

You can use the UHAUL recycled denim pads, or bath towels, as your absorbent layer under fleece. Fleece needs pre washing 3-4 times in detergent only, no softener or dryer sheets, before using. It needs to dry between washes. Test if it's wicking by putting it on some kitchen paper after the washes, and dropping a small amount of warm water on. If it soaks through in 10-20 seconds or under, it's wicking. UHAUL needs prewashing too, and probably separately as it sheds a lot for the first few washes and turns the water blue. In a 2X3 you'd need to change more than weekly, as the smaller the area, the quicker the mess/urine will accumulate.

stray hares

Cavy Slave
The minimum size for two pigs is 2x3 grids, the preferred is 2x4 grids (according to the table on the front page of this site). I'm sure your little piggy will love the extra space!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
The minimum size for two pigs is 2x3 grids, the preferred is 2x4 grids (according to the table on the front page of this site). I'm sure your little piggy will love the extra space!

Those size requirements are for female pigs. For males you go one size up meaning the minimum for 2 males is 2X4, the preferred is 2X5.

hellobritty

Cavy Slave
Those size requirements are for female pigs. For males you go one size up meaning the minimum for 2 males is 2X4, the preferred is 2X5.

I have a female.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
You should be fine then. I would still go 2X4. Bigger is always better and the loft doesn't count toward square footage. I like the suggestion offered to take down the loft and add it to the main cage area, giving you a 2X4.

Pipandpoppy

Cavy Slave
My ramp has no lip and my pigs have never fallen.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
There are alot of extra grids because of that loft. You could turn it into a 2x5 if you really wanted to.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
My ramp has no lip and my pigs have never fallen.

It's recommended to have one regardless of how agile your pigs are. If they both tried to use it at once, or just happened to lose their footing, and fell, something serious could happen. Guinea pigs backs are fragile and it's better to be safe than sorry and risk a broken back.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.