Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Ovarian Cysts Finally, symptoms of ovarian cysts.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Some may remember my multiple posts over the past year concerning my very hormonal aggressive female. Since she was 8-9 months old, she has been extremely sexually aggressive in cycles way beyond normal "in heat" behavior, but NO symptoms of ovarian cysts, no sign of a cyst, nothing felt at a vet visit, absolutely nothing. -Until now, over 1½ year later. She now has visible hair loss, crusty nipples, different weight distribution, and one side is larger than the other.

I'm so relieved. There is finally a solution to her constant, rumbling, displaying, chasing, kicking & general nastiness I've longed to free her cagemate from. She must have had abnormal changes in the ovaries or uterus from a very young age. Oh how I wish I'd gotten an ultrasound done that very first month.

I've read through all information on guinea lynx but still have questions. Any advice concerning what to ask when it comes to spaying techniques in a guinea pig? Staples or no staples? How long do I separate her from my other girl as both eat less when separated?

kananaka

Cavy Slave
Amazing you noticed this so long before it was diagnosed. I wish you & your pig the best with this. I have never been through it so I have no advice to offer :(

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
My Suzi had the bitchiness and attitude problems at a young age, and when I took her to the vet they found that she was just starting to grow cysts. She had dissolvable sutures (PDS) but was extremely allergic to them; however, that varies by pig, and her cagemate/nemesis Cuddles had no reaction to the sutures. I would ask what your vet plans to use, but generally it seems that sutures and staples are equally good, and the vet should use what they're more experienced with.

I would suggest that you make her recovery cage be a small cat carrier that can unclip the top and bottom. She will be confined so as not to overexert herself, and you can put the carrier into your c&c so she can visit with her friend through the mesh door all day. Clip a small water bottle onto the door, put several layers of towels on the bottom of the carrier, add a handful of hay and a small pellet bowl, and she'll have everything she needs. When it's time for pain meds, just take out the carrier, unclip the top, and lift out the towels, pig and all. Medicate her, put fresh towels and hay in the carrier, and carefully lift her back into the carrier, then clip the top back on, and return the carrier to the cage.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
My Suzi had the bitchiness and attitude problems at a young age, and when I took her to the vet they found that she was just starting to grow cysts. She had dissolvable sutures (PDS) but was extremely allergic to them; however, that varies by pig, and her cagemate/nemesis Cuddles had no reaction to the sutures. I would ask what your vet plans to use, but generally it seems that sutures and staples are equally good, and the vet should use what they're more experienced with.

I would suggest that you make her recovery cage be a small cat carrier that can unclip the top and bottom. She will be confined so as not to overexert herself, and you can put the carrier into your c&c so she can visit with her friend through the mesh door all day. Clip a small water bottle onto the door, put several layers of towels on the bottom of the carrier, add a handful of hay and a small pellet bowl, and she'll have everything she needs. When it's time for pain meds, just take out the carrier, unclip the top, and lift out the towels, pig and all. Medicate her, put fresh towels and hay in the carrier, and carefully lift her back into the carrier, then clip the top back on, and return the carrier to the cage.

Thank you for replying. Did Suzi change her behavior completely after surgery?
Unfortunately I only have a regular cat carrier, but reaching in & lifting her & the towel should't be much more of a problem I hope. How long did you keep Suzi in the carrier?
Did she have any other issues with recovery I should be prepared for?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I've had good luck putting a grid divider in a C&C cage to make a 1x2 section for the hospital section. No igloo or house that she can jump on top of, if she's a jumper.

Some pigs seem to have a reaction to a certain type of suture. I have had a few that abscessed where the sutures were. I can't remember what type, though!

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
Suzi was kind of mean her whole life, actually. I do think it made her less aggressive, but she was still grumpy.

Honestly, Suzi was the World's Worst Patient. She got a hernia, she went into GI stasis from pancreatitis, she ate her sutures, her incision was weepy and gross, she got a UTI, her feet got all scabby from pressure sores, she ate her bandages, she tried to jump on her house, and when she was reintroduced to Cuddles, they immediately started brawling.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Suzi was kind of mean her whole life, actually. I do think it made her less aggressive, but she was still grumpy.

Honestly, Suzi was the World's Worst Patient. She got a hernia, she went into GI stasis from pancreatitis, she ate her sutures, her incision was weepy and gross, she got a UTI, her feet got all scabby from pressure sores, she ate her bandages, she tried to jump on her house, and when she was reintroduced to Cuddles, they immediately started brawling.

Lovely, this sounds just like my Mad Hatter! I'll just have to be prepared for the worst then, I know for certain that she won't stay down for long or make it easy for me. I've never met a more difficult & stubborn animal.

With all those complications, how long did it take for Suzi to fully recover?
When did you reintroduce her to Cuddles again?

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
I've had good luck putting a grid divider in a C&C cage to make a 1x2 section for the hospital section. No igloo or house that she can jump on top of, if she's a jumper.

Some pigs seem to have a reaction to a certain type of suture. I have had a few that abscessed where the sutures were. I can't remember what type, though!

I'm still really uncertain of where to keep her, and at the same time make her feel safe.
When separated anywhere near the other pig, she can jump right over the divider. She can push whatever is on her side over to the divider, to try & figure out how to get over if there is a top. She can manually push the divider upwards, nearly decapitating herself when squeezing under. Not to mention the damn bar chewing! But when kept further away, she sounds like a fire alarm non stop for hours on end.

When there is a more severe reaction to the sutures, how do you treat it successfully?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Antibiotics.

When I put a grid divider in a cage I poke small holes in the coroplast so I can attach a plastic tie wrap though to really secure the divider. For jumpers I use white wire shelving over the portion so they can't get over.

However, if she's going crazy, it would probably be better to move her totally out of the room in a smaller cage.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Do you recommend an antibiotic treatment at home, or a single dose just after the surgery?
I put a 1x2 on top of the main cage with my leftover cubes, it should make it easier to reach & keep her from climbing as she can't see the other pig. If it doesn't work, I'll have to use the carrier.

The vet couldn't feel any cysts at the last visit yesterday, but it has most likely shrunk since she was in heat a week ago when she was visibly larger on one side. If all goes as planned, she will be spayed on Thursday morning.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
You might ask your vet if they'll prescribe 7 to 10 days of antibiotic.

Oh, and make sure you get pain meds. Something that won't dope her up. Metacam is a good one.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
You might ask your vet if they'll prescribe 7 to 10 days of antibiotic.

Oh, and make sure you get pain meds. Something that won't dope her up. Metacam is a good one.

The reason I'm asking is that the vet recommends just a single dose during/after the surgery. This to prevent further loss of appetite & a possible reaction to a longer antibiotic treatment. Should I still ask?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
A single dose of antibiotic?

The reason I like to give a week or so is that the incision site drags through bedding, pee, poop. I figure that a week on antibiotics will give better protection than a single dose.

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
A single dose of antibiotics given as part of surgery is a good idea but guinea pigs wallow and it's very hard to keep incisions clean.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
The spay was successful.

She did have many small cysts on her ovaries, woke up quickly & pooped/peed without any issues. Eating has been a bit off, but handfeeding hasn't been needed yet. She's drinking normally & after the first night she's quite active.

My other pig is surprisingly happy, no, ecstatic about having the cage all to herself. Zoomies which she hasn't done since she was a youngster, random popcorning & much more poop.

It may be my country, but the vet refused to prescribe an antibiotic treatment unless needed, this because of the increase of resistant bacteria caused by antibiotics.
She also refused to prescribe the promised pain meds, she will however do so if there is any sign of pain. This pissed me off and I will call her today for a prescription.

The vet only removed the ovaries, not the uterus. I don't see the point at all & I'm quite angry about this as well. Why not eliminate the risk of uterus infection, tumors or cancer while you're in there? I realize now that I should have been even more straight forward with the vet than I already was.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Update:
Called the vet clinic & demanded pain meds, they agreed to take her in for a quick injection that will last for 24 hours, for free. The issue is that they are closed over the weekend. If she's in pain tomorrow there is no place to go for medication that won't be ridiculously expensive.

The medication was really effective within 30 minutes, she's basically back to her old self & her appetite is finally up.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Pain meds really help.

I would be angry, too, at the vet not taking out the uterus.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
She's in pain again I believe, her breathing & pulse is up but she's still better than yesterday.
There is only one other vet clinic open now, with insane weekend prices & not so trustworthy vets. I really don't know what to do, and my vet doesn't pick up her phone for emergency calls. I'm so angry & upset right now, why the heck can't they give her oral pain meds for the weekend!?

I don't want her to go through this ever again, and risking her life. I thought I eliminated that risk & that they would remove both uterus & ovaries. It's really getting to me now. I feel responsible for not being clear enough, and I thought I'd chosen a good vet & clinic based on experience & methods they had, I thought I asked all the right questions. I'm really not doing well at all right now & I've indirectly caused her unnecessary pain. I feel powerless as I can't help her, when there should be such an easy solution with pain meds. And the guarantee that at least this type of surgery wont be needed again.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
How long should I keep her separated?

Mad Hatter was spayed on the 31st/thursday, she's currently kept in a 2x1 to minimize movement & strain on the incision. I asked the vet when it was appropriate to put her back in the main cage, and the vet said it's fine after the stitches are removed on Monday (11 days post surgery).

Does this sound reasonable or should I keep her in a 2x2 for another week, as there will be more strain on the incision once the stitches are removed?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: How long should I keep her separated?

I'd put her back after the stitches are out. Heck, I'd probably have put her back before now.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.