Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits Beta has osteomyelitis

Catayn

Cavy Slave
My bunny Beta is four years old and he has always been a healthy bunny.
But two months ago he started limping and there was a small bister on his right hing foot. I took him to the vet and we discovered he had osteomyelitis.

The vet told us that it is relatively common, but that it would be hard to treat.

I have never had my rabbits in cages because I was afraid of something like that. My bunnies are free range, but they do have a bedroom of their own. I have changed their floor to a wooden floor thinking it would protect their feet. But turns out that it was too hard and the vet believe that the hard floor is what caused the problem. My other rabbit, Cookie, does not have problems.
They had a good part of the room covered with EVA, but that was not enough.

We changed the floor and covered everything with the softest fabrics we could find and now it is absurdely soft.

We have treated Beta with several injections, oral medications and many other treatments. The infected part was surgically removed twice, and we also tried a treatment in which the vet would insert some balls of medication inside the leg.

Nothing has worked. His leg is awful and he is clearly in pain.

Today I took him to three other vets outside my state, because I was thiniking maybe it was time to put Beta to sleep, because I don't want him to suffer anymore.

My vet suggested removing the leg, but he also said Beta could not lead a normal life without a leg.
But all the other vets today told me the best would be removing it. They say that, despite everything, Beta is a healthy rabbit and we do not need to give up just yet.

I would like to know your opinion about it. What would you do in my situation?
I have read a lot and I found many people have had this problem and that amputating the leg has solved it.
I want the best for him and I would love getting more opinions about it.

Thank you in advance and, I have to say something. I haven't come here in a long, long time. And when I logged in today I was happily surprised to see how beautiful it is. Congratulations! I have seen some great upgrades and changes here and I think the forum is greater then ever.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome back, Catayn. I've been wondering how you and your furry zoo were doing.

I'm sorry about your bunny, but really can't offer any help. I know less than nothing about rabbits, except that they're cute.

Catayn

Cavy Slave
Welcome back, Catayn. I've been wondering how you and your furry zoo were doing.

I'm sorry about your bunny, but really can't offer any help. I know less than nothing about rabbits, except that they're cute.

Yes, they are adorable. I have been very distant for a while. I have had many family and health problems, but now I am fine.
I have also lost all my piggies at one. All except Stephen. There was a bug in the hay, and they all passed. All my boys and girls. It was awful and I am still recovering.

Now Stephen has 3 new brothers and today he was diagnosed with a URI, but the prognosis is good.

The family now has a new member, a puppy cocker spaniel named Glomer.

Thank you for wishing us the best. I hope we can find the best way to help Beta.

Rayvn

Cavy Slave
Well, my (kind of, she's a family pet) rabbit has never had Osteomyelitis, but a few years after we got her, one of her hind legs got caught in a closing door. She's a very small rabbit (Holland dwarf) and since the leg was so badly damaged, the vet decided that amputating it was the best option. After that, they gave us some antibiotics and a creme to rub on her until the gap healed. She didn't have a problem walking, but stopping was difficult for a while. She didn't stand up unless I helped, but she was still happy and not in pain. Eventually she got the hang of only having three legs, and she acts perfectly normal, the only time you'd even notice she only has three legs is when she's hopping away.

Anyway, that's my experience with leg amputation. It's not that bad after a while, but I wouldn't have done it if there was any other way. Good Luck with your bun, I hope he get's better :sad:.

Catahoula

Cavy Slave
I don't have any of my own advise to offer, but I would like to think that if 3 vets told you that your bunny still has plenty of life to live, then I would go ahead with the surgery.

It never ceases to amaze me what animals can adapt to. And I'd like to think that your Beta will find a way to manage without the leg.

kirsty91

Cavy Slave
awww that's too bad to hear. If you have the money for the surgery then I think it might be worth trying since more than one vet has suggested it. Animals can learn to adapt, I know some 3 legged doggies that live happy healthy lives. If after awhile he doesn't seem to be doing well then maybe it might be time to put him down. I wish you the best of luck!

Catayn

Cavy Slave
I see. I have read about many rabbits with just 3 legs that are doing greatly. But I do not trust our vets here so much, you know? That's the only problem.

Rayvn, I have read about ghost pain a ghost itch. Has your bunny shown any signs of that?

Last edited:

Catayn

Cavy Slave
Yes, actually, I have had a 3 legged puppy when I was a kid and I am sure the puppy didn't care about it at all. He lived many healthy and happy years with us.

Rayvn

Cavy Slave
I see. I have read about many rabbits with just 3 legs that are doing greatly. But I do not trust our vets here so much, you know? That's the only problem.

Rayvn, I have rwad about ghost pain a ghost itch. Has your bunny shown any signs of that?

Do you mean trying to scratch at her ear? Yes, she still tries to scratch even though her leg isn't there. Usually, she'll hop over to me and try to scratch, so I rub her ear for her. It's sad, but It's cute watching her whole butt wiggle like that.

Catayn

Cavy Slave
Yes, I have read about that too.
But I mean, some people say they can feel pain in the leg even though it's not there anymore.
Have you noticed anything like that with your bunny?

Rayvn

Cavy Slave
Yes, I have read about that too.
But I mean, some people say they can feel pain in the leg even though it's not there anymore.
Have you noticed anything like that with your bunny?

No, I haven't seen her act like her leg is pain, except for about the first five weeks following the surgery

Catayn

Cavy Slave
That is so good to know. I guess I will try amputating it. I hope it solves the problem.
Thank you so much for your help. It's great to know someone who has had experience with that.

Rayvn

Cavy Slave
That is so good to know. I guess I will try amputating it. I hope it solves the problem.
Thank you so much for your help. It's great to know someone who has had experience with that.

No problem. I'm sorry about what you and Beta are going through, it must be terrible :guilty:.

Catayn

Cavy Slave
It really is frustrating. I thought I was doing the best for him, but it wasn't enough. Either way, even the vets were surprised with what happened.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
There are two three legged rabbits at the rescue I volunteer for. I know one had a badly broken leg I'm not sure of the other's story. They seem to do fine. I could ask more about them this Sunday when I go back if you'd like.

If 3 out of 4 vets say that your bunny could live and be just find after a period of adjustment, I say go for it. Plenty of 3-legged animals do just fine. Best of luck.

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
When I was little we found a wild bunny with a mangled leg. We called our grandma because she was a nurse and begged her to fix him. Well, grandma amputated it and he lived for about 7 years with my grandpa's bunnies. I didn't know that they raised their bunnies(and other farm animals) for food so I didn't realize what a huge deal it was that they not only saved him but allowed our wild bunny to live out his life. Sending Beta healing thoughts!

Catayn

Cavy Slave
There are two three legged rabbits at the rescue I volunteer for. I know one had a badly broken leg I'm not sure of the other's story. They seem to do fine. I could ask more about them this Sunday when I go back if you'd like.

If 3 out of 4 vets say that your bunny could live and be just find after a period of adjustment, I say go for it. Plenty of 3-legged animals do just fine. Best of luck.

If you could please ask, it would mean the world to us. Thank you

Catayn

Cavy Slave
When I was little we found a wild bunny with a mangled leg. We called our grandma because she was a nurse and begged her to fix him. Well, grandma amputated it and he lived for about 7 years with my grandpa's bunnies. I didn't know that they raised their bunnies(and other farm animals) for food so I didn't realize what a huge deal it was that they not only saved him but allowed our wild bunny to live out his life. Sending Beta healing thoughts!

That's so beautiful. Thank you for the healing thoughts.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Just a thought: Have you heard of BunSpace? It's like Myspace for rabbits. They have a 3-legged rabbit group where you could get some good information on what it is like for a bunny after surgery.

BunSpace.com Forum: Amputation

3 legged bunnies support group Group on BunSpace.com

I use to have an account there when my bunnies were alive. Fiz-Gig was my name. Check it out, there is great bunny info from other house rabbit owners. It's also a pro-adoption site like this one. =D

Catayn

Cavy Slave
I had never heard of that. I'll check it out. That seems to be great!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.