Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Chunk taken from guinea pigs ear? help

• Thread starter Simpsonspiggie8
  • Start date

Simpsonspiggie8

Cavy Slave
Hi guys so my trio has been together for around 3 weeks and it was a rough bonding session at first but after a couple of days they seemed fine but today I was petting one of my pigs, the most dominant of the trio, and a chunk was missing from her ear and now there is a lot of teeth chattering between all of the guinea pigs. first off, what should i do for her ear and second should I separate them( take the new one out and leave the bonded pair? please help I really don't know what to do and and freaking out. I feel so bad that I caused this to happen. here are some pics of the ear IMG_6731.jpgIMG_6733.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How big is your cage? Lack of space is a major reason for guinea pig aggression.

Simpsonspiggie8

Cavy Slave
I have a 20 square foot cage [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION]

Simpsonspiggie8

Cavy Slave
I just separated them because I just saw them go at each other very agressivley

Simpsonspiggie8

Cavy Slave
What can I do for her ear and should I even try to re bond them?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Do you have hideys in there with only one door? Or places where one pig can trap another, like under a ramp? Those are just invitations for head and ear wounds -- the trapped pig lashes out at the one who's blocking the entrance, and then you've got scars.

If you do, I'd recommend taking all the hideys out and replacing with fleece forests or fleece draped across the corners of the cage. Upside down cardboard boxes, no tops, holes cut in all four sides, also work, but be sure to get all the tape off them. Pigs love tape, and will eat themselves into an intestinal blockage.

One or more of them may be in heat, also, which could have triggered the attack. If things calm down for a couple of weeks and then heat up again, that may be the issue.

I'd watch the ear very carefully, and if you see any signs of infection -- redness, swelling, pus, odor -- then get her to a vet.

But yes, I'd try putting them back together. Totally redo the introductions -- see https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html for how to do that. You can give them a buddy bath -- all at the same time. Don't get the torn ear wet. And make sure the cage is totally clean -- nothing in it should smell anything like any of the pigs.

Simpsonspiggie8

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for your advice [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] . I was hysterical when I saw what happened and feel like a terrible piggy owner . And yes I did put in 2 or 3 hideouts with only one entrance and 3 fleece forests because I though they were all settled But I will keep them separated till the ear heals and then try a buddy bath but in the meantime Should I clean the ear with anything or just leave it alone? Thanks for your help

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just watch the ear and see a vet if you see any infection.

They should NEVER have hideys with only one door. They're just invitations to fight.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.