Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay New Hay Tray idea I wanted to share

Icarus_Hermes

Cavy Slave
I have a new hay idea I wanted to share. All my pigs love lying in the hay piles, so I’ve never had a hay rack. I keep the hay piles in the lofts to limit the mess. My newest pig Anubis hasn’t figured out the lofts yet and he may never. I put another hay pile in the main cage for him. I don't have a kitchen and knew it would be messy, but wow, cage cleaning was getting exhausting with the hay kicked everywhere. I tried bending a grid to make a tower hay rack but couldn’t get the right shape without the grid bars breaking.

I found these plastic trays at Dollar Tree and are using them as hay trays. Some hay still gets kicked out of the tray, but I’m back to messy level I’m used to. I also love I can just take them out a scrub them down when the hay gets soiled. Both boys are loving them too!

Here are my piggie models: :)

hay tray1.jpg hay tray 2.jpg

PudgePig

Cavy Gazer
I use the tray from a pet store guinea pig cage as the girls kitchen. I laid down wood pellets and put fleece over the top. That way I just change out the fleece when it's nasty in there. They love wallowing around in the hay as they eat. :)

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
My Chock loves playing in his hay as well as eating it...

Icarus_Hermes

Cavy Slave
The good news is Anubis figured out the lofts this morning. Then both pigs curled up up in their hay trays for a nap. Fine boys, have your cake and eat it too.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
I use the big corner litter boxes for hay boxes. Mine also like to sleep in their hay, so the boxes double as beds. :)

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
It's an idea, I've tried similar ideas before and the trouble is, you will end up finding more hay on the floor than in the boxes - especially if the pigs like to sit in them to eat. Also, hay doesn't tend to stay where it is put. It is long and most will fall out of the boxes before your pigs even get to it. A more efficient way to do it is just to put the hay on the floor of the cage.

Icarus_Hermes

Cavy Slave
@pigmommy89, I like that idea. If I had younger pigs who wanted to zoom all day long, a corner pan would probably work better flow-wise.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
A corner pan also usually hooks onto the bars which would help avoid the pan being knocked over.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
A corner pan also usually hooks onto the bars which would help avoid the pan being knocked over.

That's exactly why I got them. My pigs are notorious interior decorators. :)

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I started grabbing low boxes from around the store. If the cans are almost gone, i take the box they were in and put the cans on top of the other, same with cases of soda. Anything that has the low boxes. They love chewing on the boxes and you can just throw them away.

Icarus_Hermes

Cavy Slave
@lunarminx, low is why the trays are working for me. I understand this doesn't work for all pigs, especially with higher rims for flipping, but these are doing great for me. @pigmommy89 and @CavyMama, corner pans are great!!! I use them for my rats, never thought of trying on my pigs. But my naughty rattie boys are always trying to work them off their hooks. No luck, ratties. Fortunately my pigs are less creative.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.