Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Can you vaccum fleece that's on wood pellets?

algrif40

Cavy Slave
Hello!

I have 5 piggies in a 2x10 cage. I just shelled out $$$ for the new cage and a full set of fleece flippers and a large coroplast kitchen. Trying to make it easier to clean. However, it's still a pain to wash and put everything back on the inserts. Now I see that wood pellets are very popular. When you put a layer of fleece over the pellets, can you vacuum the poops? Or do you have to pick them up? I just bought a pet vacuum specifically for the pig cage. It's a lot of pigs and a lot of poop and I am looking for anyway to make maintenance easier. Also, can you put pee pads on top of the fleece too just to help keep areas clean? I bought some new fleece and uhaul and also incontinence sheeting which is neat. It's like a layer of waterproof thin plastic with soft flannel cotton on both sides sandwiching the plastic in. I thought maybe putting some pads in a few strategic areas would help. Any ideas?

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
A vacuum should work as long as you don't suck up the fleece. I'm not sure how well it picks up hair from the fleece, though. I wouldn't put pee pads on top of the fleece because they might chew them. Usually just the fleece on top of the pellets will work, and you don't have to change the pellets for several weeks.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The vacuum sucks up the fleece unless you can find some way to hold it down. I find it easier to just take the fleece out and shake it, then put it back in.

algrif40

Cavy Slave
The problem with the shaking it out is that my cage is huge! And reclipping the fleece everyday is a pain. My pigs burrow for sure!

mamaduck71

Cavy Slave
The problem with the shaking it out is that my cage is huge! And reclipping the fleece everyday is a pain. My pigs burrow for sure!

Ball up some fleece in the corner for them to burrow in, and maybe they wont with your cage fleece liner.

Denise Mabie

Cavy Slave
I use flippers as well. Although my cage is not as big as yours (I have a 2x6 w/ a 2x2 loft). I know it's time consuming to do a full cage clean but I've been also using Pee Pads(fleece w/ Uhaul padding sewn in between). I change those out a couple times a week and completely strip my cage about every 3 weeks. Daily I vacuum my cage. IMO it beats dealing with a huge piece of fleece daily.

algrif40

Cavy Slave
I was thinking of making some pee pads. Is it 2 uhaul layers sandwiched between fleece and all sewn together ?

Denise Mabie

Cavy Slave

Denise Mabie

Cavy Slave
Do your Guinea Pigs pee mostly in the kitchen?

lunarminx

Cavy Slave

If its clipped tight enough, try the vacuum, it should hold.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.