Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated Is she pregnant?

K4tr1n4

Cavy Slave
Of course! Good luck!

I know it's tempting and even the rescue I worked with said that they tend to more or less obsess over and stalk the mamas before they give birth, but if she already doesn't like being picked up then I would try to give her space so she doesn't get unnecessarily stressed. Good luck and I hope you have good news to share in a few weeks :)

Aaaaaaa! My other gp (not the one on the photo) gave birth to 3 beautiful and healthy guinea pigs
7e3c9f962d7170ea9ea96025a83d8c12.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K4tr1n4

Cavy Slave
Aaaaaaa! My other gp (not the one on the photo) gave birth to 3 beautiful and healthy guinea pigs
7e3c9f962d7170ea9ea96025a83d8c12.jpg

b66244099857b278b37ffce0f873081f.jpg

K4tr1n4

Cavy Slave
I'm so happy that everything turned out so well for both Mama and her babies. They are such cuties. Please let us know when your other piggie has her babies.

Yes I sure will update you. We expecting her to give birth in few days

K4tr1n4

Cavy Slave
I'm so happy that everything turned out so well for both Mama and her babies. They are such cuties. Please let us know when your other piggie has her babies.

Well it wasn’t that long and my other guinea pig gave birth to 3 more pups an hour ago. But she still is kind of has a belly but my other guinea pig doesn’t. And pet shop worker said that they can give birth twice. I mean like they can give birth to few pups but few days later give birth for the rest of them. And I don’t know if that’s true or not bc I can’t find anywhere this information.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Retained pups are a medical emergency requiring an immediate spay.

She may not have retained pups -- some pigs will just seem larger than others after delivery, and she may just be a different shape and weight than your other pig. You should watch her very carefully to make sure she's eating, drinking and letting the pups nurse. If you see any continued signs of labor, or if she seems in the least bit ill, you should get her to an exotic vet ASAP.

K4tr1n4

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=45524]K4tr1n4[/MENTION], how is your piggie doing today? Are all of the babies still doing well?

Yes! They are great! They starting to eat a little bit. And they popcorning and playing. We pick them up occasionally.

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
19ca0733278bc2fab78a9fa9a46b4c8c.jpg

7eeefc3314a3a586b978d0cb05aabd8f.jpg

a80bbcfb000245e03ae716503145e059.jpg

746e5fa0d4f6c006724084d7f5f3c1c8.jpg

That’s how she looks now and her weight went from 20 April - 520 g to 1 may - 674 g

You could have her be checked for Bloat.
Bloat is mainly caused by certain foods, bacteria, parasites, and viruses. If your guinea pigs belly looks swollen or distended, it may be a sign of bloat.
If she's showing signs of heavy breathing, restless movements or stoppage of bowel movements are other symptoms for Bloat.

Don't take my word for it, but the way her stomach looks from one of the photos without you touching her....just looks like one side is bloated....

Only have her checked for it, if other symptoms are present.

If she's eating, and pooping normal poop and breathing normal, she doesn't have bloat.

I'm not an expert so just monitor her and see if anything changes besides her gaining weight....if you have a stethoscope you can try and listen for other heartbeats in her tummy area to see if she is pregnant.

K4tr1n4

Cavy Slave
You could have her be checked for Bloat.
Bloat is mainly caused by certain foods, bacteria, parasites, and viruses. If your guinea pigs belly looks swollen or distended, it may be a sign of bloat.
If she's showing signs of heavy breathing, restless movements or stoppage of bowel movements are other symptoms for Bloat.

Don't take my word for it, but the way her stomach looks from one of the photos without you touching her....just looks like one side is bloated....

Only have her checked for it, if other symptoms are present.

If she's eating, and pooping normal poop and breathing normal, she doesn't have bloat.

I'm not an expert so just monitor her and see if anything changes besides her gaining weight....if you have a stethoscope you can try and listen for other heartbeats in her tummy area to see if she is pregnant.

Haha you missed some updates she was pregnant and she gave birth to 3 healthy pups and two of them are even curly
f51c98d9354f29e35d5bff2578f6ea98.jpg

K4tr1n4

Cavy Slave
Retained pups are a medical emergency requiring an immediate spay.

She may not have retained pups -- some pigs will just seem larger than others after delivery, and she may just be a different shape and weight than your other pig. You should watch her very carefully to make sure she's eating, drinking and letting the pups nurse. If you see any continued signs of labor, or if she seems in the least bit ill, you should get her to an exotic vet ASAP.

Here’s the thing I put all of my pups together (3 from one and 3 from the other guinea pig) to see how they are together, they did great. But now one of the moms are running away from her babies when they’re trying to eat and she also bites them. What do I do?

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
Here’s the thing I put all of my pups together (3 from one and 3 from the other guinea pig) to see how they are together, they did great. But now one of the moms are running away from her babies when they’re trying to eat and she also bites them. What do I do?

not sure about the mother behaviour...could be that she might be confused and smells different scent on the babies...

K4tr1n4

Cavy Slave
not sure about the mother behaviour...could be that she might be confused and smells different scent on the babies...

Maybe? But what do I do? I don’t want to babies get hurt

Guinepigmom_2.0

Cavy Slave
Maybe? But what do I do? I don’t want to babies get hurt

you could have the babies in separate cage but place it next to the cage where the mom is.

they can see each other but at least she won't try to attack them anymore?

an idea to try

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Bigger cage. Aren't you the one we told a few weeks ago that the babies would get their ears gnawed off if the cage was too crowded?

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
Bpatters is absolutely correct...a mom will become stressed with her babies in a too small cage. She will take her frustration out on her babies.

The babies will take it out on each other if they are shoved into a too small secondary cage without mom, so your only solution is to make a bigger cage immediately where they all have adequate space. Also they need to stay with mom while they nurse.

Then at 3 weeks (21 days) you must permanently separate the males from the females so you don't have inbreeding.

K4tr1n4

Cavy Slave
Bpatters is absolutely correct...a mom will become stressed with her babies in a too small cage. She will take her frustration out on her babies.

The babies will take it out on each other if they are shoved into a too small secondary cage without mom, so your only solution is to make a bigger cage immediately where they all have adequate space. Also they need to stay with mom while they nurse.

Then at 3 weeks (21 days) you must permanently separate the males from the females so you don't have inbreeding.

I do have a big cage that is self made c&c where they can run a lot. But I guess it was just the smell of other guinea pigs bc now she’s not doing anything to the baby. But how can I introduce not her babies to her? Bc whenever they are around her she’s attacking them

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What is the size of the cage? Length in inches and feet in inches?

K4tr1n4

Cavy Slave

I was searching and I found different information about when guinea pigs are sexually active. One source says at 5-7 weeks old and another says at 3 weeks. So what is the truth?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The 21 day rule for separating males from females has a few days leeway in it just in case the males are really precocious. Males are generally able to impregnate females at about 3.5 weeks of age, and females are able to get pregnant at about 4 weeks of age.

K4tr1n4

Cavy Slave
The 21 day rule for separating males from females has a few days leeway in it just in case the males are really precocious. Males are generally able to impregnate females at about 3.5 weeks of age, and females are able to get pregnant at about 4 weeks of age.

I have almost two weeks old pups and I think there’s only 2 males. So I’ll have to separate them in a week?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yep. The males have to be separated from all the females, mom included, at 21 days of age. They'll be unhappy, and lonely babies are pitiful, but it has to be done. They'll survive,, and you will too. Just buy some ear plugs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.