Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Where to Order? Pellets & Hay

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
Ok, so now that it's definite that I'm getting my piggies, I have a question or two about pellets and hay.

Just to get started, I purchased some pellets at Walmart (I know, don't shoot me, but I work there and wanted something to have in the house when I bring them home.) and am planning on getting a small bag of Timothy Hay there as well.

BUT

I would like to order the best online and have it delivered (and will then throw out the cheap stuff). I've been reading posts under "Diet & Nutrition" on here and still would like to know:

Who is the best to order from:

Do you order both from the same online store? Pellets from one place and hay from another?

I've kept links to the following online stores, who do you recommend:

KMS Hayloft
Small Pet Select
Sweet Meadow Farm

Definitely need help here. :crazy:

Thanks from Isla & Penny (names will be changed to protect the innocent LOL)

I order both pellets and hay from KMS. It's the only brand that I've ever ordered from.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I order pellets from KMS Hayloft only.

I order hay from KMS Hayloft, American Pet Diner, or Small Pet Select, depending on who's got what I want and how good the harvest seems to be.

Pellets & Hay

I get all my pellets and hay from Small Pet Select. I used to use KMS, but I fell for all of SPS's marketing and pretty packaging. KMS has arguably the best pellet formula for pigs prone to bladder stones or sludge, since it has the least problematic calcium. Oxbow and SPS have good ingredients too, and a fine amount of calcium for most piggies.

Hay from KMS, SPS, and Oxbow seem very comparable as far as price and quality. I've only ever gotten the bluegrass from KMS, and it was very nice. Unfortunately my experience with Oxbow orchard grass wasn't the best, it was kind of choppy and dusty. I've been impressed with the SPS 2nd cut timothy though.

SPS also has "combos" where you get a discount for buying hay and pellets together, and you can almost always just guess a coupon code to get like 20% off. ;) My picky rabbit actually refuses to eat any other brand of hay and pellets, and the piggies love it too.

Actually, SPS uses calcium carbonate for the calcium source in its pellets, which has been implicated in bladder stones. Oxbow used to do that, but has recently changed its formulation and omits it.
@pigger123, I certainly hope you don't feed your (present or future) children by the decorations on the package, or yourself, either.

I am aware of the type of calcium in SPS, and my pets haven't had any problems from it. I believe that it could certainly be an issue for pigs prone to bladder stones, but I feed mine such a small amount of pellets anyway and they don't show any signs of calcium problems.

The reason I initially switched to SPS was because I wasn't very happy with KMS constantly changing their recipe. I actually did try Oxbow after they changed too, but my picky eaters were not having it. Of course the packaging is not how I choose anything involving my or my pets' health, but it is a nice feature that I enjoy.

I use Oxbow's pellets. My niece bought a 25 lb bag and gave me half. I buy hay from a local independent pet store called Andy's. I got orchard grass and alfalfa hay from them.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Ok, so now that it's definite that I'm getting my piggies, I have a question or two about pellets and hay.

Just to get started, I purchased some pellets at Walmart (I know, don't shoot me, but I work there and wanted something to have in the house when I bring them home.) and am planning on getting a small bag of Timothy Hay there as well.

BUT

I would like to order the best online and have it delivered (and will then throw out the cheap stuff). I've been reading posts under "Diet & Nutrition" on here and still would like to know:

Who is the best to order from:

Do you order both from the same online store? Pellets from one place and hay from another?

I've kept links to the following online stores, who do you recommend:

KMS Hayloft
Small Pet Select
Sweet Meadow Farm

Definitely need help here. :crazy:

Thanks from Isla & Penny (names will be changed to protect the innocent LOL)

Well, I was going to order my pellets from KMS and the hay from SPS, but every time I would go to the checkout at SPS, it tells me that there is an inventory issue and it cancels my order, I've been emailing them since yesterday, they claim they fixed the issue, but when I tried again today, same issue. So I just ordered both pellets and hay from KMS and emailed SPS again. We'll see if they fix their glitches for the future. I ordered 10lbs of hay from KMS, it was on sale and we'll see how long it lasts

Thanks everyone!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just so you know, the more hay you buy, the cheaper it is per pound. Ten pounds of hay would last my three less than two months, and would be much more expensive per pound than the 40-50 poundsI usually order.

Just so you know, the more hay you buy, the cheaper it is per pound. Ten pounds of hay would last my three less than two months, and would be much more expensive per pound than the 40-50 poundsI usually order.

Good to know, I'll keep that in mind for my next order!! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've ordered from KMS, Small Pet Select and Sweet Meadow Farm.

The hay from all three is comparable, but I preferred KMS pellets (though I haven't ordered since they changed their recipe). However, I tend to order more from SPS because they usually have coupon codes that lower the prices and free shipping. KMS shipping price is just insane - usually more than the cost of the items themselves.

I definitely agree that hay is much less costly if you buy it in bulk. I've looked and looked for some local farms or markets that have hay, but most of the time it's either alfalfa or a mix of timothy, orchard and alfalfa. Really a bummer since I know it would be much cheaper to buy local.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.