Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Wheezing

piggy.addict

Cavy Slave
This morning I was cleaning my room when I heard a strange noise coming from my guinea pigs cage, he looked like he was gagging and he coughed at the end. I did some research and I think he had the hiccups. They stopped after a while then when I came back in and I heard him wheeze. He wheezed for about 5 minutes and then stopped. I got scared so I called the vet and made an appointment. The wheezing has stopped so should I worry?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I doubt it, although you should certainly keep an eye on him. An occasional wheeze can mean nothing more than a bit of food caught in his throat. If he's breathing at all, there's not much to be done about it. And wheezing from a URI is more than just an occasional thing after eating.

I'm not saying don't take him to the vet if it would make you feel better, but I wouldn't take one of mine for that sort of episode unless it continued or got worse.

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
I would take him to the vet just be sure...

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@maddy harper, I sent you a private message. I need to get in touch with you.

You may need to get someone to help you with this. If you click on your username next to any thread you have posted, you will see a link that says "Private Message." Click on it, and you can both send and receive messages.

Thanks.

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
I got your message but i've disabled the messageing system so cant reply but with regards to your message i would like the charts written if you don't mind doing it... Thanks

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@maddy harper, you need to enable the messaging system and reply to me through a private message. Otherwise, I'll moderate your posts so they don't appear on the forum until we've had a chance to read them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.