Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Where can I get a C&C Cage/ something similar?

Selenaah

Cavy Slave
I want to get another piggy for the one I have just gotten, in a few months because i wanna see how this one acts, but i just have a regular pet store cage for him right now:
Photo on 2015-06-01 at 12.53 PM.jpg
and I know it is not big enough for him to have a friend, since i have my first day of work today, I want to invest in a c&c cage when I can afford it, but at the moment I can't(and my friend gave me the cage because she got her 2 rats a bigger one).
is there an alternative to a C&c that I can get that is bigger so he can have more room to run? I want him to have a lot of exercise room, because I won't be able to keep him out of his cage for long since I have a dog, and I won't be home all the time.
also, since I do have a dog(a family pet) I need something strong enough to not have my dog get in( he won't hurt him, but he is very curious even at 7 and will try to play, and he's a small dog)
the piggys will be in my room, but I still would like to know since if it is any bigger it will have to be on my floor.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Look at the Main tab at the top of this page for information on building a C&C cage. You can also order them from www.guineapigcagesstore.com. Closet shelving makes a very sturdy cage. Take a look at the alternative cages in the photo galleries for more ideas.

That cage isn't big enough for one pig, much less two.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Is there a reason why you want a C&C alternative? C&C materials are pretty easy to find.
See this page for how to make.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/howtometric.htm

Closet shelves also make great cage. It's stronger than the grids.
(broken link removed)

Edit to add:
Why do you have a wheel in your guinea pig's cage? Please take it out ASAP! It's dangerous.

Selenaah

Cavy Slave
Look at the Main tab at the top of this page for information on building a C&C cage. You can also order them from www.guineapigcagesstore.com. Closet shelving makes a very sturdy cage. Take a look at the alternative cages in the photo galleries for more ideas.

Thats why I want a larger cage, even if I don't get another, I want my piggy to be able to be more free in his cage, for right now, since he is still a baby, that cage is going to have to do, once he is more familiar with me, my room, I plan on getting him a exercise ball thing that I'll be putting him in for him to run around, so he will have more exercise, but I want him to have more room. this is my first pet that isn't a fish or a family pet, so I have to take care of it and pay for everything on my own.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, no exercise balls, either. Guinea pigs are not hamsters, and their backs don't bend in that direction.

Your guinea pig should be on a mostly flat surface. You also have to be careful that they don't walk off the edge of something. Their eyes are on the sides of their heads, like horses, so they have depth perception. Three inches, three feet, three yards, it all looks the same to them.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I kind of wish I made the closet shelving cage. I wouldn't have killed my back redoing the cage so many times.LOL

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I bought my cages from https://www.guineapigcagesstore.com/ and I am extremely satisfied with it. Completely worth the money and the customer service is phenomenal as well. Highly recommended!

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
I agree-C&C cage materials are inexpensive, and some alternatives would only cost more. If you put your cage on a stand, you wouldn't have to worry about your dog getting in it, and have an open top. Yes, exercise wheels and balls or, for that matter, anything that could cause their back to bend that way is not safe. Create a pen out of grids, or use a puppy play pen, with some fleece or towels to let your piggy get exercise. During floor time I let my boys free-range around the room, with some hideys, vegetables, and toys. I just vacuum up the poops, and they hardly ever pee.

cavycrazy1107

Cavy Gazer
If you rescue one, sometimes they will give you an old cage. That's how I got mine. If you can't then going to places like home depot you can find chloroplast and places like walmart should have grids.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave

G.Piggies

Cavy Slave
And with added grids, you can customize it as many ways as you want, as many times as you want.

I also got mine from there and I absolutely love it! It comes with picture instructions and everything.

G.Piggies

Cavy Slave

Also,I'm not so sure the wheel that's in the cage is safe for their backs either. I'd check on that and see if it is.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Wheels are not safe at all.

Spritzysmomma

Cavy Gazer
Just use chloroplast. I don't even use the grids.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.