Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Litter Training Where to find Litter Trays?

marisa.19

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone! I would really like to invest in a litter tray for my 2 piggies. I am trying to create a “kitchen” big enough for two guinea pigs to sprawl out and munch on some hay. Does anyone have suggestions on where to find a low cut tray that my piggies can easily hop into?

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave

marisa.19

Cavy Slave
Thank you as well

marisa.19

Cavy Slave
Hello again, I was wondering on the site it says for C&C cages only but can it work for a different cage? I have the Midwest Cage

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
You're very welcome. :)

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I use kitten litter pans with a layer of litter (SoPhresh Crumbled Paper) in the bottom and layer of hay on the top. My cavies love it as they can do multiple activities there: pee & poop, munch on hay, and invariably sleep. Unless your cavies are really small, it is quite easy for them to jump over the sides without cutting a doorway. You can buy the pans online or occasionally find them in a pet store or WalMart, etc.

Don't ever fall for those corner litter pans! They are way too small and claustrophobic for a cavy. They need room to stretch out and be comfortable.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
That sounds like a good idea. I may have to try that. I’ve been just putting the hay on a pee pad that I can throw in the wash since she likes to sleep in the hay. I saw a corner pan for a rabbit and it was elongated so a guinea pig could easily jump in and sprawl out. I liked that it hooked on the cage. Otherwise she’ll topple it over and then be scared.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
I've been using the jumbo size Ware Scatterless Lock-N-Litter corner pan for over a year. I believe there are two versions, one with a wire grate and one without. Back when I purchased it, I was inexperienced and bought the one with the wire grate. The grate has since been discarded. The pan attaches to the cage but my girls always push against the pan to try and hide behind it and sometimes I come home to find the pan in the middle of their cage. Now I thread a shoelace through the pan's loop and tie it to the cage bar; there is no way they can nudge the pan away. I put a layer of shavings or CareFresh and the girls help by pulling hay down from the hay basket to make it nice and soft. This litter pan is large enough for one cavy to stretch out comfortably. However, I am looking at it on Amazon and it is selling for $25.54 whereas I bought it previously for $12.99.

Last edited:

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
my girls always push against the pan to try and hide behind it and sometimes I come home to find the pan in the middle of their cage.

I had the same experience with my boys. I used epoxy to attach some flat weights to the bottom of the pan so that it would be difficult to move. One could also simply heat an ice pick or nail and create a couple of holes in the pan to secure it to the side/corner of the cage as well. If you should decide to epoxy weights to the plastic pan, be sure to use some sandpaper to "rough up" the bottom of the pan so that the epoxy will adhere the weights to it.

The price at both Amazon and Chewy is certainly right.......about $3 each. I bought two or three when purchasing.

Kitten litter pan.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Van-Ness-Small-Cat-Litter/dp/B01KV8AHNK/ref=sr_1_8_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1519082659&sr=8-8&keywords=kitten+litter+box

(broken link removed)

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I bought a Kaytee elongated corner pan for rabbits for $4.49 from a liquidation store that had truckload of pet supplies and food. I clipped it to the corner with a spring clip and put some Carefresh in the bottom, then piled up some hay. She loves it! Thanks for the great idea!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.