Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy I've been suspicious...Does this look like a pregnancy?

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
Ditto everyone on the adopting out the babies. Giving them to the pet store is not a good option. As a mother myself I find this whole thread upsetting. Please help educate your parents on how pet stores don't know everything about guinea pigs. Most in fact know horribly wrong information, I should know I used to (5 years ago) work at PetSmart. It wasn't until I joined here shortly after quitting that I learn proper care.

missnickelback

Cavy Slave
Pet stores stink i got a guinea pig from there and her name was cupcakes she was the first pig i ever had. Guess what a little after adopting her she died. Its been what a year now well i still cry myself to sleep at night i hate petco!!!!!!:mad:

cavykaitlyn

Cavy Slave
I think she thinks that the pet store knows best because they have dealt with their own piggy pregnancies and they seem fine. They're being bred -.-

And, we also believed that they took better care of their animals because they were local, the animals seemed happy, etc. But when I joined the forum I found out that ALL the living conditions in the pet store were bad, bad, bad. They were in tanks (some had open tops, some did not), there were many to a small space...horrific! And the smaller rodents were living in ghastly conditions, they were all ill (at least, they appeared so physically) and they were in tanks that were topped with other tanks. I cannot imagine how hot it would be for an animal with fur in the summertime. But my mom still says the pet store knows what they're doing... I will show her some other sites, especially Guinea Lynx, maybe this one, I don't know. I think I've said some bad stuff. I think now I'm actually going to write a basic manual, citing information from you guys, for my parents. I'll include Ly's veggie chart, some veterinary info, the dangers of breeding (lethals and genetics and such) and a lot more that I have learned (square footage requirements, the benefits of C&C cages--as opposed to too-small pet store ones) and the proper diet and everything. And then I'll keep a copy handy as well as emailing it to both of them (I don't have a home printer) and the fact that pet stores are evil! Definitely. They breed animals instead of giving homes to the homeless. I think pet stores should adopt out animals, not sell them, which giving them my babies will only aide in doing. They actually have SALES on their animals! "Save $5 on this guinea pig!" I was PETRIFIED! THESE ARE LIVES, NOT PRODUCTS!

I'm sorry. I don't like pet stores, they're irresponsible with their animals. And the one we went to for Char actually specializes in fish. "Aquarium and Pet Center". They have over 300 tanks with fish in them, and they sell exotics. But, they also sell birds like parrots, and lizards, and small rodents, and rabbits. I think they do ferrets, too. But they never want to get up. They should convert to just selling fish. Or maybe fish and pet supplies.

Anyway, I'm trying to talk to my parents about how this kind of thing is wrong, and what we can do to give these pigs the best lives possible. And you guys probably don't want to hear this, but it may have to wait till Wednesday, because my bedtime's in an hour and they're painting the sunroom, and I have Girl Scouts tomorrow, so I don't have time then, either. This is going to be lengthy. But I don't think she'll have her babies by then...I haven't felt kicking yet (I check every time I pick her up)

Separate by sex at three weeks or wean them from their mothers by then? I'd assume you'd do both, because they can't be separated and still drinking milk from the mother at the same time.

But overall, I'm excited! I can't wait to see what kinds of colours and breeds they'll be, since I don't know who the heck she was bred with :p Maybe I'll get a longhaired one, that'd be sooooo cute :)
Thanks people! I really appreciate everyone's responses and concerns.
@missnickelback...I'm sorry. We've gotten a lotta pets from PetCo and they die fast. It's unfortunate. We try to go to PetSmart instead, but even they are bad. Our local store is the new one-stop shop, but they tend to be a little more expensive. Good quality stuff, though.

Lishar

Cavy Slave
Wow... Good luck with everything! ;)

Your doing well so far!!

ChelleBelle

Cavy Slave
How did everything turn out for your piggie and her babies?

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Man I wish there was a way you can avoid sending them to the pet store to be put in a glass tank and lousy conditions....

Just noticed this post is from March. Oops! :/

cavykaitlyn

Cavy Slave
She's not actually pregnant, just really, REALLY fat at the time. Her sides were really distended! I have a thread bout her here somewhere...
Thank you for your concern and help everyone. She is 1179 grams, I believe.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.