Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rehoming Who Has Moved with Pigs?

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Hello all! I previously posted a thread about moving to a farm with the girls but it was pretty much not gonna happen. Now its actually happening! Were going to move to a farm with chickens, goats, cows, horses, and pigs! We will hopefully be a self sustaining farm for meat, dairy, and money too. We'd me making goat milk, cheese, lotions, and soaps for sale after were all settled, along with eggs, cow milks and cheeses, and perhaps bull breeding income, too! I'm pretty pumped. Anyways….

How many of you have moved with you pigs? When you had the house looked over by a realtor, what did you do with the pigs? I have 4 sows and a 2x6 C&C with a 1x3 top loft kitchen. I don't know what to do with the guinea pigs while the house gets shown about. What did you do? I'm still nervous about just locking it because they can slip stuff through the cage bars.

Thanks y'all!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Most realtors will want you to remove the pigs from your home, cage and all, while they show your house.

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Most realtors will want you to remove the pigs from your home, cage and all, while they show your house.
What am I supposed to do with a cage of that size? I can't exactly get it to fit in my car...

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I actually moved house today with my girls!

For viewings, my girls stayed put. They were in a cage, the cage was pristine for all viewings, and quite frankly those that came to view with children were delighted when their kids got to stroke my girls. But that's just my experience, and I agree that most would prefer they stay out of the way. I think that with a cage that size, you don't have much choice other than to give it the best cleaning it's ever had, and hope you get animal lovers viewing your place!

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'd just make sure the cage is spotless. If you're using fleece, pull it all up and put it in a diaper pail or enclosed tub and put fresh bedding in there. I'd take the pigs with you if they give you notice they're showing the house. We had a situation that happened while we were looking for our current home. We walked through a house and when the realtor opened the door to the attached garage, a snarling dog ran towards the door. Luckily, he shut the door in time but I hate to think of what would have happened had he not.

daisy1cow

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I think that is a good idea. Have the cage clean and take the girls with you. I would be worried that maybe a child wouldn't be supervised and pull one out or drop it or something happen because parents are looking at the house and not the kids.
Ive been thinking of this same situation. I have a 2x5 and a 2x7! Boys and girls so I can't really pack them all up and go and to make matter worse...mine are in the dining room!! LOL
I thought of maybe the basement which is finished. Wish people could be as pig happy as we are and not think twice but I would be worried about a child and an accident.
Let me know how it works! Im interested to hear

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
@Princess_Piggie oh, did you? That sounds nice. I'm glad it all worked out! I wouldn't wan't small children playing with the girls, Butternut and Sarabi wouldn't approach them, and Pumpkin would bite them While Nala would nibble clothes. Maybe Ill put up a "BEWARE OF GUINEA PIGS" sign. lol
@ThePigAlchemist there really isn't anywhere for the pigs to go. That's the problem.
@pinky our dogs are sweet as can be, and The guinea pigs won't be charging anyone any time soon. :lol:
@daisy1cow agreed. Too bad people see pigs as petty pets. and I will totally let you know what happens! I'm going to keep this thread updated as time goes bye.

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
When we had our house for sale, we either did two things. If it was an open house, we would take the pigs with us, but leave the cage and everything set up. I would clean it out that morning so it would have fresh towels and fleece and a new kitchen area (with no hay, as I know people have allergies) and the dirty towels went in a plastic crate that we threw in the boot of the car. If it were a private showing we requested no children and would leave the pigs. The real estate agents always explained to the people who were viewing the house that we had indoor guinea pigs and they were always very understanding. My mum is still in contact with the people that purchased house and they still call that room 'the guinea pig room'.

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
I guess for moving my girls will have to stay at my grandparents. It's probably going to be for either a 90 or 120 day home sale contingency. It just worries me is all. :/ They have a cat so I'll need a cover.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
We viewed a house with ac&c while we were home searching. The home owners pigs stayed right where they were 5x2 cage and all.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.