Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Infection ??? think my guineas have bumblefoot but not sure!!! PLEASE HELP

sammyn

Cavy Gazer
I was going to trim my guineas nails after i held my female and realized her nails were too long (i dont cut them often i know that might be bad) so as i was trimming her nails on her front paws i realized she had some weird crust or thing coming off the pad of her foot . I dont know if its bumble foot but im so worried my male guinea has it as well

Attachments

2954B82A-FC82-4E5E-8781-676FF329BD91.jpg B8E7BF5D-B583-4966-ACB8-7CEA8187C5C2.jpg

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
It looks like a foot spur - a tough piece of skin like a callus attached on just one side like a hangnail. The skin itself looks like a healthy pink color with no swelling or injured spots.

If it’s a foot spur you can carefully trim it off with a nail clipper. Just make sure you don’t catch the skin. Then use something to moisturize the skin like coconut oil. Just make sure it can be safely ingested if she grooms herself. I use a little vitamin E oil made for human nails, and I also have a natural lip balm made with sunflower oil and beeswax that I use to keep the feet healthy.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto [MENTION=42766]ItsaZoo[/MENTION]. That's a spur that can easily be trimmed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.