Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Please Medical Advice needed

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
Yesterday Smudgee showed zero sign of illness, she was eating with the herd the entire day. She ate her dinner veggies and two hours later I would give them their pellets for the night. This morning she didn't eat her morning veggies and just kept to herself. I took her to the vet after noticing her change in behavior.

This is Smudgee's X-ray from this afternoon. My exotic vet "suspects" neoplasia and there is no treatment. Bloodwork can't be done because she is in a weaken state and will not be able to survive the anesthesia and the next step is an ultrasound unfortunately I can't get an appointment until Monday at CSU Veterinary Teaching Hospital Ft. Collins (the exotics department doesn't work on weekends in the emergency department) , the only certified exotic veterinarian in the state of Colorado moved out of state to Indiana

Smudgee's vet prescribe meloxicam and enrofloxacin for pain management and just in case this is an infection some antibiotics which he doesn't think it is.

She also has bloat, I just started started massaging her tummy (8PM Mountain Time) and been feeding her critical care every hour. She hasn't shown any interest in eating even after taking the pain med

Any advice? The Vet said if she doesn't pull through that I should think of euthanizing her

In the X-ray you can see some masses and bloat.

3_Whole Body_VD.jpg

2_Whole Body_LAT.jpg

1_Whole Body_LAT.jpg

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I would mainly be concerned about the bloating right now as that can come on quickly and cause the syptoms you're seeing. Any neoplasia could be unrelated or just a coincidence.

Is she passing stools at all? I would highly recommend motility drugs. My older girl is prone to bloat and stasis. Metoclopramide and Cisapride in addition to metacam and hand feeding always get her back on track and make her digestive tract return to it's regular functioning. Placing her on a massaging mat also seems to help get things moving.

I would also possibly hold off on the baytril as it may do more harm than good with her already bloated GI tract.

Sending well wishes your way, I hope your girls gets through this.

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
Thank You so much!!! I will look for a massage matt.

She isn't passing any stool. I am about to feed her some critical care in a couple of minutes.

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
My other half is on the way to the store to get a massage mat.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I just saw the sad news on Instagram. I'm so sorry you lost her :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.