Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Mixed C&C/Midwest setup, boars that need to be separated; cats present & small space

wheeklink

Cavy Slave
Mixed C&C/Midwest setup, boars that need to be separated; cats present & small space

Hi, everyone.

I have two lovely rescue boars. One older, one younger. We found quite soon that one was dominating the other and making his life miserable (bonding exercises undertaken by the rescue lady we got them from were unsuccessful, as one was keeping the other away from food and water, and he rapidly became depressed and dehydrated), so we got two Midwest cages. They socialize through a shared wall, but each has his own turf, and they like it that way. They get only minimal floor time due to having to lock the cats away when they are enjoying it, and the problem of them running around pooping in odd places, which with my arthritis and the requirement ALREADY to clean their cages every evening, causes us a bit of hassle. They both have very different personalities (think German and French). We find they don't run around enough in these Midwest cages, and need more everyday space, but being in a condo, we don't have much space on the floor. They are in the bedroom right now, which is sunny and peaceful. I'd love them to be in the living room, where they would get more attention, but the cats tend to view them as entertainment. Covers are a necessity due to the cats. I keep the cats out of "the pig room/bedroom" for the piggies' peace of mind, because they are naturally "on edge" if they think a paw will be thrust through the bars at them. I have obtained two 6-gridcube "sets" to expand their Midwest cages with.

Now I have some choices to make, and am soliciting ideas.
1) the Midwest canvas cage bottom has become too nasty, even with regular cleaning. Has anyone put this cage bottom in the washing machine with some serious detergent?
2) I want to create a hybrid Midwest/C&C living cage for the piggie boys (and they have to be SEPARATED, mind you!) despite only a rather long, narrow space in the bedroom that their cage setup can be created in. Everything will have to be covered due to the cats. Configuration ideas (urls to hybrid setups in small spaces)?
3) Would running tunnels under the bed make for more fun/space for them? Has anyone done this with the grids (creating tunnelways)? Or do you use throwaway large cardboard tubes for a project like this due to the fact that they'll poop them up? Where would you get these, if so?
4) Coroplast is 20 bucks a 4'x8' sheet here. That seems pretty standard. I guess you measure out how much you need and diagram it out on the sheets as a function of the surface area of the configuration you choose for the cage?

Anyhow, too many questions, but given this "serious design challenge", I am soliciting ideas! I'll post photos of anything if that'll help. I think going vertical would be a good idea, but I will need some kind of very long table, given that they can't share spaces...my head is all stuffed with "if I do this then what about this" kinds of questions. Help!

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Re: Mixed C&C/Midwest setup, boars that need to be separated; cats present & small sp

Bumping this. Also you can't just use the Midwest canvas as their bedding otherwise it will get nasty quick. Are you just using the canvas as bedding? You can use fleece or kiln dried pine shavings for bedding too.

wheeklink

Cavy Slave
Re: Mixed C&C/Midwest setup, boars that need to be separated; cats present & small sp

Thanks for the bump. Yes, I do use a layer of newspapers above the canvas, and towels or fleece over top of that, which I pick pellets off of, flip over the next day, clean and wash. So the canvas is not the bare cage bottom for them, LOL. I have tried shredded paper and carefresh, but towels are nice and easy (you can just throw them into a washing machine). Have been thinking of sewing my own fleece flippers, but again, how to size those would depend on how the setup was designed.

lissie

Cavy Slave

1) the Midwest canvas cage bottom has become too nasty, even with regular cleaning. Has anyone put this cage bottom in the washing machine with some serious detergent?
I've heard of someone washing them in the washer. I guess it won't hurt to try. If they don't work, you can always replace them with coroplast.

2) I want to create a hybrid Midwest/C&C living cage for the piggie boys (and they have to be SEPARATED, mind you!) despite only a rather long, narrow space in the bedroom that their cage setup can be created in. Everything will have to be covered due to the cats. Configuration ideas (urls to hybrid setups in small spaces)?
If you post your floor plan of your space, I might be able to help. I used to live in a one bedroom apartment with my husband and two kids. This thread will show you some ideas on how to maximize space.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/56677-Making-Space

3) Would running tunnels under the bed make for more fun/space for them? Has anyone done this with the grids (creating tunnelways)? Or do you use throwaway large cardboard tubes for a project like this due to the fact that they'll poop them up? Where would you get these, if so?
It sounds like fun, but would be very hard to clean under your bed. If you could make something that slides out, it might work.

4) Coroplast is 20 bucks a 4'x8' sheet here. That seems pretty standard. I guess you measure out how much you need and diagram it out on the sheets as a function of the surface area of the configuration you choose for the cage?
Here's an instruction on how to build the cage.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/howto.htm

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave

Thanks for the bump. Yes, I do use a layer of newspapers above the canvas, and towels or fleece over top of that, which I pick pellets off of, flip over the next day, clean and wash. So the canvas is not the bare cage bottom for them, LOL. I have tried shredded paper and carefresh, but towels are nice and easy (you can just throw them into a washing machine). Have been thinking of sewing my own fleece flippers, but again, how to size those would depend on how the setup was designed.
Sorry I was confused lol. I thought you were using just the canvas as the bedding.

wheeklink

Cavy Slave

No worries, PigglyW! Thanks for ideas, Lissie. I found a "closed cage" resource on this site but they were all C&C, not mixed designs. I am on a really tight budget (2 kids and working poor), so I am having to just make do as I go along with what I can source and afford. I looove those bookcase-like piggie houses. Not only pretty and space-saving, but just nice and solid and wow. I am not at all handy though, so Ikea hacks are a distant dream unless someone teaches me some carpentry skills. I have a tiny car, too, so bringing a superbig hunk of furniture back is not an option. The local thrift stores often have cool bits, but always just one item here and there (not sets of storage bins for instance). I am number crunching with various options (wood pellets under homemade fleece pads is what I am thinking now - I am sick of bedspread towels and having the pellets fall all over the bedroom floor when I dump these off into the trash can, arrgh - kids are getting so unenthusiastic about helping me clean the cages and am ending up with almost all the work, with arthritis this is hard) I'll keep reading ideas on here and thinking, and when I come up with something I will post photos. In the meantime, all thoughts, comments and ideas are welcome!

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave

Just FYI, we have several MW 'additions' that we are adding to the cages store. We haven't added them yet, because we still have to take some more photos. You get the idea. I think we'll have a 2x2 addition as well.

Here are some images of what's coming

MWwing5.jpg

MWwing6.jpg

MWwing1.jpgDSC_0005.jpg

wheeklink

Cavy Slave

It would be fun to have a thread called Pimp My Pigs, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pimp_My_Ride where you could post photos of your unacceptable setup and get people to recommend different improvements. :D

wheeklink

Cavy Slave

lovely cages, but 1) I wouldn't waste the cubes on storage space because I want to give the boars more living space, and 2) two of these (so two double cages, one for each boar, and everything closed in for their safety) would take up a lot more space than I have (already have two Midwests side by side in a smallish bedroom - going to have to "go vertical/condo" or run it around the perimeter!?). I am going to to really have to put my thinking cap on. Mind you, these beautiful online-orderable "pro" cages are just, well, beautiful! :)

lissie

Cavy Slave

Actually, in a small space, having lots of storage under the cage is not a bad idea. I like the last pic that CavySpirit posted. You could have two of those side by side.

Grids are pretty cheap if you buy them from these places. Most stores will ship to your local store for free. You don't need a big car to pick them up.

Sears: 23 grids for $21.99
https://www.sears.com/stor-floor-st...p-00913332000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Kmart: 23 grids for $18.69
https://www.kmart.com/stor-floor-st...W435219990001P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Walmart: 16 grids for $21.97
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Whitmor-White-Wire-Storage-Cubes-Four-Cubes-Interlocked/5005200

Bed Bath & Beyond: 19 grids for $19.99
(broken link removed)

Amazon: 16 grids for $21.97 (prices seem to fluctuate on Amazon)
(broken link removed)

Also, you might find free tables on craigslist that will work for you, but you'll probably need a truck to pick up these free stuff.

wheeklink

Cavy Slave

Actually, in a small space, having lots of storage under the cage is not a bad idea. I like the last pic that CavySpirit posted. You could have two of those side by side. Also, you might find free tables on craigslist that will work for you, but you'll probably need a truck to pick up these free stuff.

I have been looking on CL and haven't seen a table yet, but I check regularly!
I haven't been able to find the cube units that cheap with the safe 9-square count around here. I think I paid too much for the ones I did get (two 6-cube units) but seriously have not found them that cheap around here. It is generally 20 for the 4-unit.

Are you saying then that I could use some of the cubes to create storage underneath the Midwest units and then make a loft, and expand it that way? (I think the one who l likes to wouldn't be able to do his zoomies with the loft in his way? Or do you guys have pigs who zoom underneath lofts?) So I would have to get one more 6-cube unit then to make sure there'd be enough grids to do all this?

lissie

Cavy Slave

I have an idea for you. Since you have the space to put the Midwest side by side, you should have enough space for this. The top floor is one big space. You can have them take turn using it. You'll have to figure out how to block off the hole for the ramp.

2x7.jpg

By the way, if you have the back of the cage against the wall, unsafe grids are ok for the back wall. You can also use the unsafe grids for the storage part.

wheeklink

Cavy Slave

I like that setup, real simple, thanks for the idea! So just build straight on top of the Midwest with cube grids, then? On top of the cover that is already on there? And support the bottom of the Midwest (ceiling of the storage basement) with...grids? timber? What layer is inbetween? (what's it made of?) (might need to get one more unit's worth of grids)

I will need to close that whole setup "in" with something to protect from cats - I guess industrial shelving on very top? If you had to protect that setup from cats, what would you use?

I also found this, not a "long design", more of an internested design:
https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...eparation-please-help?highlight=stacked+cages

wheeklink

Cavy Slave

Dumpster score today - 3x4 flexible clear plastic sheet! I reckon that could cover (in the form of a lid) the top of an "upstairs" they could take turns in, if it were anchored so it didn't cave in if jumped on top of. Keeping it just in case I can use it somehow, anyway

lissie

Cavy Slave

I like that setup, real simple, thanks for the idea! So just build straight on top of the Midwest with cube grids, then? On top of the cover that is already on there? And support the bottom of the Midwest (ceiling of the storage basement) with...grids? timber? What layer is inbetween? (what's it made of?) (might need to get one more unit's worth of grids)

You can use grids for the cage floor. Closet shelves will work too. Closet shelves will save time for building, since they are longer and you just have to zip tie them together and to the grids base. They are more expensive though. One of the 12" deep, and 16" deep will be perfect for the dept of the cage. (Grids are 14")

The roof and floor on this cage is made with closet shelves.

(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)

If you choose grids, you might need to support with wood.

(broken link removed)

wheeklink

Cavy Slave

You can use grids for the cage floor (etc.).

Thank you! I have been doing some local shopping online and hunting on Craigslist to see what is there. What exactly do you call that wooden bottom/base you have in the picture? Buffet bottom/sideboard or? I would guess it would have to be about 7 feet long to accommodate 2 side by side Midwests? I like that it has storage space in it.

lissie

Cavy Slave

Thank you! I have been doing some local shopping online and hunting on Craigslist to see what is there. What exactly do you call that wooden bottom/base you have in the picture? Buffet bottom/sideboard or? I would guess it would have to be about 7 feet long to accommodate 2 side by side Midwests? I like that it has storage space in it.

I'm not sure. These are not my cages. I found them in the gallery. It looks like kitchen cabinets.

It will have to be 8 ft long to accommodate 2 Midwest cages.

LucidCavies

Cavy Slave

@lissie, what computer program do you use to create the digital cages. Or are these just pictures from other people?

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Mixed C&C/Midwest setup, boars that need to be separated; cats present & smal...

I think she uses Google Sketchup to make the digital models, and the other pictures are from the photo galleries.

lissie

Cavy Slave

@lissie, what computer program do you use to create the digital cages. Or are these just pictures from other people?

I use SketchUp.
https://www.sketchup.com/

Real pics are from other people who posted in the gallery.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.