Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Crumbs' medical thread

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
Re: Piggy on way out, advice needed please

I don't know how he thinks a pig is going to gain that much weight without having her teeth done. If she weighs less, she just gets less anesthesia. Especially if she's a smaller pig anyway. Something about that just doesn't add up for me.

It's what he said would be ideal for her as an anesthetic candidate. I don't expect her to achieve that in her current condition, the current plan is to keep trying to her her to gain until she goes off her food again, then get her straight down there. It is -killing- me to wait but I do want to give her the best chance :(

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave

It's what he said would be ideal for her as an anesthetic candidate. I don't expect her to achieve that in her current condition, the current plan is to keep trying to her her to gain until she goes off her food again, then get her straight down there. It is -killing- me to wait but I do want to give her the best chance :(

Ok, that makes a bit more sense if she's eating on her own. I was thinking you were strictly hand feeding her. As for your other question, pigs can eat raw squash but I'm not sure if it would help her gain weight or not.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

Ok, that makes a bit more sense if she's eating on her own. I was thinking you were strictly hand feeding her. As for your other question, pigs can eat raw squash but I'm not sure if it would help her gain weight or not.

Sorry, i should have been clearer. my brain is not working at optimum levels atm >.<

She's still eating veg and forages on her own, fortunately. They will be our indicator of when we cannot wait any longer.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Poor little Crumbs is such a tiny, tiny pig. Did your vet come to the conclusion that it is indeed her teeth?

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

Poor little Crumbs is such a tiny, tiny pig. Did your vet come to the conclusion that it is indeed her teeth?

He's 99.9% sure. Watching her chew so am I at this point

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

If that's the case, then it sounds like you're in the same boat that I've been in since Christmas. Crumbs, I believe, is older than Sly as well. I've been trying to put weight on him for months and even after the procedures and I've had little success. I've gotten his weight stabilized, after his third molar planing a month ago. Even gotten him to put on a little bit of weight, but not much. He's up 50 grams from his lightest point ever, that was back in June.

Crumbs likely won't eat properly until her teeth are done. When Sly's teeth became critical, he ate very, very little. When he saw his vet he had him in for surgery immediately, that very afternoon. He has also lost interest in hay. He eats a lot of pellets, though.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

Yeah, she's not eating any hay or pellets, we're right on the knife edge

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Yeah, it's time. It takes Sly about 10 days or so to eat properly following the surgery, but his appetite increased immediately in the day or two afterward. I'm not sure how much longer she can wait. I know he wants her to have the best chance, but at this point it can end badly either waiting or not waiting. You are in a really sh***y position, and I hate it for you.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

Waiting for a call from my vet now. My gut is saying act. Have to take the chance, feels like I am slowly killing her atm

Last edited:

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Fingers, toes, eyes, everything I can cross is crossed for you and for little Crumbs. Hoping that all goes perfect.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

Still waiting for the call. Going insane

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Me either. Trying to get a pig with tooth issues to gain weight is a losing battle, IMO.

Without reading back, is there another (better) vet around?

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

just called again, Apparently vet is on phone with their rodentologist trying to sort something out, which is why I've been kept waiting

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

she is going in a 9.10 tomorrow.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

I'm glad to hear that she's going in. Myself and my herd and sending all our love and positive energy for Crumbs that she comes through this with flying colours.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

I'm glad to hear that she's going in. Myself and my herd and sending all our love and positive energy for Crumbs that she comes through this with flying colours.

Thank you. I'm very frightened. Our last attempt to save a baby with surgery ended very badly.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

I was terrified when Sly went in too, and I am every time he goes in.

Believe that Crumbs will be ok.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

I'm fighting to have faith. We surely deserve a win. And this isn't anything like as invasive as Siggy's spay... If we can get her through the initial anaesthetic then we can keep her well fed until she can do it on her own...

Shieme

Cavy Slave

Waiting for a call from my vet now. My gut is saying act. Have to take the chance, feels like I am slowly killing her atm
If you are doing your best, please do not think YOU are killing her!

moopig.am

Cavy Slave

My heart goes out to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.