Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting I'm adopting a guinea pig tomorrow but I'm not sure what to do in this situation..

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I understand the pet store cages would be temporary. That's OK. The average size of a grid panel is 35.6 cm (14 inches). Figure out how many you can fit in your space then it will be easier to tell how many pigs you can have. Levels are also great for cages, I think it gives the guinea pigs something to do, but they don't add to the square meters of the cage. You need one floor that is at least 2x5 or 3x4 in grids to have 3 guinea pigs.

boofp

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Um...thanks boofp but I wasn't asking you the question. I was asking Honour who said that they had room for a slightly bigger C&C. How slightly bigger are we talking? It is something to consider when thinking about adopting multiple pigs.
I didnt mean any harm I understand what your saying but I just think a three level cage would be big enough. honor post ~the size I'm thinking means getting rid of a set of drawers I have, but Idc guinea pigs and their happiness mean more to me atm.
I'm thinking a few inches wider, and a few inches longer aswell, and with 3 storeys.. it is half of the size of my bedroom.. I'll be getting the new cage built in about 2 weeks, maybe less.. this cage is temporary.

pinky

Cavy Slave
It sounds like you're being forced to rush to make a decision. It doesn't sound like you have the space to add any more pets if you can't upgrade to a larger cage. I think it would be better to have them adopt the two out to a home that can take both of them instead of separating them.

M.and.F.Piggies

Cavy Slave
Hi there Honour, its really nice to see some else from NI on here:) I say go for it honey!! lot of other folks here won't understand this, but even if you are not the perfect GP owner, you are going to do SOOOOOOO much better for those animals than 95% of anyone else who could possibly get them in this little country we live in.
You sound quite young, so I don'y want you to give me any details!!! But where do you live in NI ? just the County or nearest big Town. I'm in Mid Ulster area, right at the top left had corner of Lough Neagh :)

Nicholle

Cavy Slave
I would deffinently get them if i where you. Since you have to quarentine then for two weeks, it is perfect. Also some are saying that there cage needs to be bigger If you do the math her cage is deffinently going to be big enough. If you do the math her cage i doubt is going to be one by one with three stories since that would be silly and it wouldnt work well with ramps. Ok so we have the smallest she could possibally even think of doing (safely) is a 1 by 2 c &c cage with three stories which is the same as a 2 by 5 (edit: 2 by 6). And yes she loses some space with ramps but that is still good. And thats only the smallest who knows the actual size except her.
So now that that is out of the way. I think @M.and.F.Piggies is right you are most likely a way better owner then how many people out there. Also that you would be improving those piggies life so much

Go for it :)

Last edited:

Honour

Cavy Slave
I'm in ulster too:) I just can't find where exactly I am xD.
The cage i'm making can be 3x4 max, but my temporary cage even said in the pet shop 2 guinea pigs, and it's not even big enough for one.. so I was going to use the bottom shelf of my wardrobe and attaching the run around the sides to make a cage.. temporary of course! We're going now to collect them;D.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Please PLEASE don't put more than 1 pig into a petstore cage, even temporarily. 1 pig might be okay for a SHORT temporary time but too many in that small space, even for a little while, can cause fights. Do you think you and your brother would be able to co-exist peacefully, eating, sleeping, using the bathroom, in a space the size of a closet - if mom said, "It's only temporary"?

Second point, your brother should NOT have a guinea pig of his own. If he is too afraid of them to even pick them up, you know they won't get any attention and if he does try to pick them up, he is in danger of hurting them if he drops them or gets nervous if they move in his hands. You should have the pigs, with the allowance that he can come and pet them while you are supervising. It sounds like you want what is best for them and I know you would feel terrible if he ended up dropping one because it squirmed in his arms.

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
You can always direct you neighbor to a local rescue

Nicholle

Cavy Slave
I'm in ulster too:) I just can't find where exactly I am xD.
The cage i'm making can be 3x4 max, but my temporary cage even said in the pet shop 2 guinea pigs, and it's not even big enough for one.. so I was going to use the bottom shelf of my wardrobe and attaching the run around the sides to make a cage.. temporary of course! We're going now to collect them;D.
Wow big cage your piggies will be soooo lucky. I would love to see pictures :)

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
It is obvious that you aren't in the position to be taking in another guinea pig, let alone two. It is completely inappropriate to house pigs in too small of a cage with the arbitrary plan of "I'm going to upgrade soon." If you ever construct a cage of proper size, then consider adopting a friend; until then, it looks like you have lots of preparation prior to adopting any more pigs.

Honour

Cavy Slave
Don't worry, I have them all now and they're not together in a pet store cage! One belongs to him, but I'm slowly teaching him to care for her. For now he can just pet her and clean out her cage. Audrey has met the two girls and she loves them! I'm so suprised, they are making happy noises and running about their pen. I can't wait until I get my c&c cage and they can all be together

boofp

Cavy Slave
She is not putting them in a pet shop cage. I talked to her last night and she has figured a way to keep them quarantined until her grids come in the mail.

boofp

Cavy Slave
Don't worry, I have them all now and they're not together in a pet store cage! One belongs to him, but I'm slowly teaching him to care for her. For now he can just pet her and clean out her cage. Audrey has met the two girls and she loves them! I'm so suprised, they are making happy noises and running about their pen. I can't wait until I get my c&c cage and they can all be together
what happened to the quarantine

Honour

Cavy Slave
haha, no i put audrey on the floor at the same time as them for a minute. They're seperated again of course.

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
If you put them together, you can forget trying to "quarantine" them now... The point of quarantine is to completely separate the pigs; any germs the new girls have will have surely been spread to your pig if they have met, even if for just a minute.

Honour

Cavy Slave
Oh, well they had to be together for a minute anyway when i first got them home because I needed to put the cage I was bringing them home in away, and they don't like being held yet so I had no choice but to go into my room with them. The owner says she took them both to the vet before they sold them for a check up and to make sure they were girls.

Sl and S

Cavy Slave
if theyve had them a while and they took them to the vet i see no reason to quarentine.

Honour

Cavy Slave
Nor did I, I just wanted to be safe but now I've found out that was pointless anyway,

M.and.F.Piggies

Cavy Slave
I'm really glad to hear you got them :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.