Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Level of Effort? Traveling to visit family

piggymomma14

Cavy Slave
Hello! We're considering traveling to NY from MD to visit family in about a month. It would be a 7 hour drive so about 9 hours start to finish, two nights in NY, and then another 9 hour trip home. How would we go about doing this with the pigs? Or is the best thing to have someone check in on them daily at our home? We have two males who get along well, but do exhibit normal dominance behaviors.

Thanks in advance!

LemonySnickers

Cavy Slave
I always have someone watch over my guinea pig when I go on trips. I either usually take Snickers to someone's house or have someone come and take care of him once a day while I'm gone. It's much less of a hassle and easier that way.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd have someone come in. I've taken pigs when I was going for a longer period, like two weeks, but it's just easier, and I think they're happier, if they stay home with a good caretaker.

rosspiggys

Cavy Slave
We sometimes go away for a night or two. We make sure all hay balls are full, all food bowls are full and all water is full. Then I bought this;
(broken link removed)

It's a timed feeder with 5 "bowls" and 8 time setting it can be every hour or whatever you think works. We put lettuce, carrots food and treat in them. Worked great. They soon figured out the sound meant food and would run to it when they heard it move. (We out in before we went away to test it, did not take them long to figure it out)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wouldn't leave them longer than one overnight by themselves, and even then, I'd have someone check on them. Water bottles can malfunction, or there could be a squabble and one could be injured and have to wait a long time for medical attention.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
It's a timed feeder with 5 "bowls" and 8 time setting it can be every hour or whatever you think works. We put lettuce, carrots food and treat in them

That feeder is obviously meant for dry food. It might work o.k. for pellets, but I can't imagine leaving lettuce, carrots or any perishable food in it for several hours, much less overnight or so. :eek:hmy:

I agree with @bpatters.........I wouldn't even consider leaving them overnight without having someone look in on them. Too much can go wrong.

rosspiggys

Cavy Slave
That feeder is obviously meant for dry food. It might work o.k. for pellets, but I can't imagine leaving lettuce, carrots or any perishable food in it for several hours, much less overnight or so. :eek:hmy:

I agree with @bpatters.........I wouldn't even consider leaving them overnight without having someone look in on them. Too much can go wrong.

Yeah, it's for dry but works great with baby carrots, apple slices and cut up lettuce. Our girls are well behaved so there are no issues.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.