Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Won't Eat Veggies Refusing vit. C veggies

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Thank you!!! These I can give once a day? Yesss!!!! I think Ill give them those tablets, and then romaine and carrots and my pigs will be good to go!

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Just watch her urine if you give romaine since some pigs for who knows what reason secrete calcium when given romaine and may lead to stones in some pigs. I play it safe and just give either red or green leaf lettuce. Maybe add cherry tomato for them. I give mine one in the evening in which I cut in half so it's easier for her to eat. Has vit c and she loves it. Don't give up on the green peppers. It's not just vit c that's the goody in it but other vits too. Keep it under their nose.

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
Yes, you sure can! I give it every morning as a treat!

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
So, each pig gets 1 tablet, but cut the tablet into 4 pieces?

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
Yes. 2 or 4. 4 is definitely safer, and not much more work.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Nice! Im really excited, Im going to order them now. Thank you! The vet suggested some pill, and we were searching like crazy, but never found these. :)

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
No prob! Hope it works for you!

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
Only ONE of my five pigs will eat that pill. I have to crush them and sprinkle them on their pellets to get them to eat it!

Rywen

Cavy Slave
My gp eats the Oxbow vit C tablet whole, the first time he did almost choke so now he chews them for a long time. He thinks they are treats.

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
My gp eats the Oxbow vit C tablet whole, the first time he did almost choke so now he chews them for a long time. He thinks they are treats.

Please don't feed them whole! I didn't realize how dangerous it really was until I recently saw him regurgitating half of the pellet when I fed him the entire thing.

Mine chewed for a long time too. Yet, imagine being given a golf ball chewable tablet to eat. I couldn't say I wouldn't choke!

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I wonder why they make them that size? I'll get a pill splitter and break them up. Then Ferb will think he's getting 4 treats!

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
I wonder why they make them that size? I'll get a pill splitter and break them up. Then Ferb will think he's getting 4 treats!
I'm sure Ferb will love it. :D also, that's a good question. Who knows why..

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Okay, Sammy eats the pellet mash with the vitamin in it, Cody doesn't. I have tried all these, they don't work:
Putting it on wet lettuce
Putting the mash over his food
Syringe feeding him it (he doesn't keep his head still, no matter what)
Giving him the tablet by itself
etc.

What else can I do? Its like hes refusing vitamin C all together!

muddygrl

Cavy Slave
I got vitamin c tablets made for guinea pigs. I crush one. Add some water and give it in a syringe. Its sorta sweet because it has pineapple juice in it. The regular human tablets are super sour.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
I tried that, I have the exact same ones, he just doesn't take it! I syringe feed him it too, but he won't keep his head still. I even had my mom try (she normally holds my guinea pigs so they are super still, he wiggled like a worm!)
Any other ideas on how I can give him it?

muddygrl

Cavy Slave
You may have to force feed it. Stick the tip of the syringe in the side of his mouth and slowly push the contents in. He will have to take it. You can wrap him in a towel so he feels more secure and can't kick you.

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
You may have to force feed it. Stick the tip of the syringe in the side of his mouth and slowly push the contents in. He will have to take it. You can wrap him in a towel so he feels more secure and can't kick you.
If you force feed it at first there's a good chance he will learn to take it. Look up some YouTube videos about syringe feeding guinea pigs. Before you know it, he may be asking for the syringe. (It happened with mine!)

muddygrl

Cavy Slave
same here. After I force fed it then Bailey realized it tasted good and will suck it down. I usually have to get him started then he'll drink it on his own after he gets a taste of what's in the syringe.

SandyPig

Cavy Slave
When one of our pigs was sick and not eating much I got the vitamin C drops. I dropped a few drops onto cucumber peels or lettuce, and hand fed it to her.

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
When one of our pigs was sick and not eating much I got the vitamin C drops. I dropped a few drops onto cucumber peels or lettuce, and hand fed it to her.
Sometimes it smells funny and the pigs won't eat it. You could try it, though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.