Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated Went to the pet store today..

TacoBellWinnieP

Cavy Slave
so I went to the pet store today for no reason with my friend while my mom was at the Wal-Mart next door. In the guinea section were SKINNY pigs. Way under weight.. We could see their ribs! There was this one that I held that had a severe head tilt and a crooked spine. I wanted him so bad! He looked so miserable and couldn't eat or drink properly. He's dying there. You had to be 18 to buy animals there so I couldn't >(

skbrodie

Cavy Slave
That's really sad... ugh :/ I don't understand how none of the employees there have noticed- I mean you'd think at least one of them would have heart enough to do something to try to help the little guy.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Call your local animal shelter, and they can tell you who to call to make a complaint about the business.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Report them and don't go in pet stores that have animals. I've learned that lesson for peace of mind, though I'm not regretting getting my girl from a pet store for she is the light of my life. But no more pet store and now for anything since I have found ways to get my supplies without going into a live animal store.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
You know, if you are going to take the time and trouble to post about a crappy pet store, why not include the full business name and address and a phone number of the store?

Why does everyone make vague posts about places? Let OTHER people know about the pet store. Let GOOGLE know about it by including searchable info about that store. It's NOT slander or libel if it's TRUE.

They are in BUSINESS to make money, right?

Put full business details here AND complain about them on YELP if they are listed there.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
You know, if you are going to take the time and trouble to post about a crappy pet store, why not include the full business name and address and a phone number of the store?

Why does everyone make vague posts about places? Let OTHER people know about the pet store. Let GOOGLE know about it by including searchable info about that store. It's NOT slander or libel if it's TRUE.

They are in BUSINESS to make money, right?

Put full business details here AND complain about them on YELP if they are listed there.

I will tell you that I bought Niko from Soldans Feeds and Pet Supply in Bay City, MI. (broken link removed) This is their website. I walked in to buy some food and what not for my guinea pig Henry. I came across the guinea pigs since they are immediately inside the store. The cage was filthy, their were 8-10 large guinea pigs in a cage that was about half the size of a store bought cage, and two smaller pigs, Niko being the smallest. The older pigs were probably 4-5 months old, and both sexes in one cage. Niko was maybe 2 months old and was being chewed up by the other pigs. I gave him a bath, he turned my white towel black, even after a good scrub. He had an abdominal abscess, and now has ringworm. I normally do not buy from pet stores, but could not leave him there knowing he'd be killed. I called management, and was told that they would send him back to the breeder for "treatment". I know that they mean they'd send him back so he could either be a stud, or they'd kill him, so I kept him obviously. I went back a couple days ago to speak with the management, and found that the cage is now HALF the size it was before, and there were about 5 pigs in it.

TacoBellWinnieP

Cavy Slave
its the Petco in Viera, FL

TacoBellWinnieP

Cavy Slave
and the lady in that small animal section said she'd keep an eye on him and take him to the vet if need be. Also she said their breeder was Rainbow Exotics in Texas.

kendalm7

Cavy Slave
Don't look up rainbow exotic on youtube or google, you'll cry honestly it's the most disturbing thing I have ever saw:(

Traysea

Cavy Slave
I know petco up here has a vet that comes in to inspect the animals. I know because about 10 days after I bought my pig there she stopped eating and they said to bring her in the following day because the vet would be there and could see her. Sadly, she passed from a URI before he got to the store. :eek:(

TacoBellWinnieP

Cavy Slave
should I just go get him?

clb89

Cavy Slave
Why? I don't like supporting pet stores, but still.

You would buy him, support the pet store, and leave an open spot for another animal to suffer in. It's a cycle, best way to break is not support them and report them.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Don't look up rainbow exotic on youtube or google, you'll cry honestly it's the most disturbing thing I have ever saw:(
I actually posted two peta videos about that place on my facebook this evening after you said not to look them up. That is what more people need to do, its a horrible video but people need to see them.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave

Brilliant. Nice and short, but it would be good to take it to the next level where they show the real effect.

"Here are the TWO or more you just killed." Not only does the shelter pig lose it's life, the breeder now breeds even more because demand is up. It goes on and on.

Buying that one pig makes you part of the problem, NOT part of the solution.

It increases the rescue burden and kills other animals when you obtain any pet from a pet store -- even for 'free.'

TacoBellWinnieP

Cavy Slave
Fine. Hate me, but I plan on getting him. He doesn't deserve to suffer this way. He's STARVING to death. Heck, he could DEHYDRATE before he starves because, according to the Petco lady, "they can't put water bowls in there."

TacoBellWinnieP

Cavy Slave
The ones in shelters at least don't suffer while they're alive, amd if they're there, its by lethal injection or old age, not starvation or neglect. It's different.

TacoBellWinnieP

Cavy Slave
*and if they die there

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.