Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Revolution Revolution myths!

Riot101

Cavy Slave
Hey all

I've been in battle with this for a while now and I need help!

I use kitten and puppy Revolution to treat all new rescues that come in with serious mite infestations as many people do. I also treat my herd as a precaution every so often.

My worry is though that some are saying that because a guinea pigs metabolism is so fast, the revolution works itself out quickly. Others say a single dose can last month's. ..

Which is it???

Do I have to treat my herd monthly or can I treat them every 3 months?

Thanks in advance for any help.

[emoji20] [emoji19] [emoji20] [emoji19] [emoji20]

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I've always been under the impression a dose of Revolution lasts for around a month...

That's not very helpful I know. What may be helpful is that the adult cat (blue) Revolution is the same concentration as the puppy and kitten Revolution, and is much better value for money if you have quite a few pigs.

Riot101

Cavy Slave
Ah that does help Thank you Stray Hares

pinky

Cavy Slave
Wouldn't Pour on Cattle ivermectin be a lot cheaper for you?

Riot101

Cavy Slave
How is the safety on that product???

I trust Revolution as I've never had illnesses from it.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Toxicity cause by Ivermectin only occurs if overdosed (dosage varies by the weight of the animal), if dosed correctly Ivermectin is very safe but it is important to note Ivermectin can come in a few different concentrations so you need to read the label carefully. I recommend the 0.5% solution which is printed on the label as 5 mg/ml, this is the easiest to calculate and apply
It should not be used on guinea pigs smaller then 12 ounces (340 grams). It also needs to be applied once a week (measure the dosage then apply behind the ears) for three weeks to treat a parasite infestation. You will need a 1cc needless syringe to measure out the dosage (perhaps multiples as the measurement lines can rub off with use).

Overall it would be much cheaper to use ivermectin on pigs big enough to use it on as you can buy it in fairly large bottles but still keep some revolution on hand for smaller pigs.

https://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin_topical.html

dearpokey

Cavy Slave
But don't forget that Ivomec is off-label, so do be careful. We used ivomec inj on our gp's at the shelter which seemed to work well. To get that 'recipe' I would talk with an exotics vet. A bottle of 50cc generic brand is pretty reasonable and will last you quite a while, if you choose that route of administration

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
Personally I'd treat mites with Ivermectin. You don't need a prescription to purchase it and it will last a lot longer than revolution. I think in the long run it will save you more money going that route. No vet bills to pay and no over priced namebrands! Actually my vet will give you Ivermectin if you ask or have concerns about revolution. It still ends up being expensive going through a vet.

Riot101

Cavy Slave
I don't mind the price of Revolution at all...I've always just used it as I found it very effective with big mite problems. My issue is whether or not it lasts long enough to make it worth using to prevent outbreaks in my "clean" herds

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
What makes you concerned that you'll have another outbreak? Unless you're constantly introducing new pigs you shouldn't have much of a problem with mites. They aren't like dogs going out and picking up new parasites lol. I don't know anyone who has guinea pigs on preventative parasite meds. Most I know treat if it ever happens. In my 11 years having pigs, there's been 1 case of lice and after treating them with ivermec for the 3 weeks, I never had another outbreak. We've never had mites either.

If you're concerned about new pigs bringing in parasites, you can treat them during their 3 week quarantine before adding them to your herd. The only case I've heard (these were rabbits), had reoccurring mites because they were housed outside.

Riot101

Cavy Slave
In South Africa we constantly have issues with Mites in hay...A friend of mine has just had another outbreak come out of nowhere. Her pigs are housed inside on fleece. It just came out of nowhere...We are suspecting the hay though as my vet has warned us to watch out. We don't have suppliers like Oxbox or Alfalfa here. We don't even have the actual Timothy Hay here. We feed Meadow Hay or Orchard Grasses.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
In South Africa we constantly have issues with Mites in hay.

Ah I see. My pigs got lice from their hay! So I understand. I think that revolution is good for up to one month, which sucks. I don't think it would last in their system for 3 months as it's "not" designed to. (I'm not saying it won't last that long, cause it might... medical companies just want money! They get more money if you use it more). If anything you could try treating every 45 days.

Riot101

Cavy Slave
Thanks PrincessAngel! [emoji4]

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.