Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Pneumonia

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig was just at the vet and had a chest X-ray done. She has been breathing heavily so I wanted to get her checked out. Vet said the X-ray doesn’t show any fluids in her lungs so that’s good but then said that I should take her to another vet to be hospitalized with oxygen because she has bronchitis borderline pneumonia. I don’t understand how she can have bronchitis if there’s no fluid in the lungs. She put her on doxycycline and baytril. She said the meds may or may not help her. 😢 She still eats and drinks and poops and pees normally. But her breathing is terrible.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Bronchitis doesn't mean fluid in the lungs -- it means that the bronchial tubes (the ones going from your throat into the lungs) are irritated/inflamed.

The antibiotics will treat any infection there, and if there is, will eventually help the bronchitis. But the inflammation/irritation can get worse before that happens, and there were several things that could have been done to try to prevent that.

Were you seeing an exotic vet? Did the vet recommend a probiotic after each dose of antibiotic (Bene-Bac is good)?

I don't know that she needs hospitalization, but a nebulizer would probably help, and possibly a steroid to calm the inflammation down. If your vet isn't an exotic vet, I'd find one pretty quickly and get another opinion.

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
Yes bene bac is being used after each dose of baytril and doxycycline.

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
I apologize for duplicate posts, I posted the first one in the wrong place. I apologize.

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
@bpatters Would a steam inhaler or vaporizer help any?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Maybe. I wouldn't use hot steam, but cold steam, particularly if the vet would give you a steroid to put in it, might be a lot of help.

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig is on Baytril and Doxycycline twice daily since Saturday morning. I give bene bac after each antibiotic dose. I also give vitamin c tablet made by Oxbow. Her breathing is still a little heavy but she seems to be acting like her self. She still eats her pellets, hay and veggies and drinks a lot of water. My question is... does anyone know how long it will take for her breathing to get better??

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
First question. Are you weighing her on a regular basis? Right now while she's ill, personally I would be weighing her every morning. It's the ONLY way you'll know if she really is getting enough to eat. Antibiotics can greatly affect a pigs appetite and if she's eating that's fantastic but you need to know for sure if she's eating ENOUGH.

As far as her breathing goes, sometimes you'll start to see an improvement in as little as 24 hours. Usually you'll begin to see it noticeable in 3-4 days, so you're right in that window.

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
Yes I weigh her each morning and her weight is fine. It’s been over 4 days on medication and her breathing is still heavy. I’m worried.

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig was diagnosed with respiratory infection borderline pneumonia 1 week ago. She has been taking baytril and doxycycline twice a day, probiotics and vitamin c. I weigh her daily and she is around the same weight each day, eats and drinks normally. Her breathing is heavy as it was a week ago. My concern is why isn’t her breathing getting better with baytril and doxycycline twice a day? Should I give doxycycline by itself? Should I just continue current medication for another week? I’m not sure what I should do now? Is there another medication that anyone on here has had better luck with??

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She may not be responding because the meds aren't effective against whatever organism is causing the pneumonia. But she may also have fluid in her lungs and/or around her heart, which could also cause heavy breathing, and a diuretic rather than an antibiotic might help.

Are you seeing an exotic vet?

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
My concern is why isn’t her breathing getting better with baytril and doxycycline twice a day?

My sense is that she needs to go back to the Vet ASAP. Pneumonia may not be the problem which is why she isn't improving. Pneumonia and CHF (congestive heart failure) often initially present with similar symptoms. I urge you to read my thread about my Sparky in which I have detailed his condition and treatment:

(broken link removed)

You need to see a Vet who specializes in exotics and who has expertise with guinea pig electrocardiograms in order to rule in/rule out your cavy's condition. I also suggest that you hop over to Guinea Lynx and read about heart conditions in cavies. My Vet checked it out and found it useful. https://www.guinealynx.com/heart.html

CHF is not all that common in cavies, but it does occur as evidenced by Sparky's diagnosis. Yes, obviously it could still be pneumonia, but you need to be sure that you have an accurate diagnosis in order to treat appropriately.

All the best and do keep us posted.

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig acts and eats normally. Her breathing has not improved... any thoughts?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Did you go back to the vet?

petluv

Cavy Slave
If it’s not pneumonia, and turns out not to be anything super serious, she could have asthma? I don’t know if piggies can get asthma, but I go into spells where I breathe heavily or strangely. Severe asthmatics can have that trouble very frequently if not treated. The only reason I suggest this possibility is cause she is eating and drinking normally. Just an idea if the vet doesn’t find anything else out.

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
Went back to the vet... she told me to give meds for another 2 weeks then come back again.

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
Vet said we can either try Azithromycin or nebulization of gentocin. I really don’t know which way to go to help my piggy’s breathing

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I've had good luck with nebulized gentomycin.

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
I thought she was going to die last night... she was gasping for air with her mouth open... but this morning she is back to breathing with mouth closed, eating and drinking. I can’t believe it... I stopped all oral antibiotics . I may go with nebulizer and see if that works at all.

Guineapigs32

Cavy Slave
Vet would like to try both Azithromycin and nebulizated gentomycin. Has anyone tried this combo?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.