Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chat Trixie's tread

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Is anyone in the Harrisburg, PA area willing to adopt or try and rehome a young female (gender unconfirmed) piggie?

My aunt (who has some issues) took a young tri-color short hair female (unconfirmed gender) piggie from a lady in a parking lot who said her landlord was going to evict her immediately if she didn't get rid of it by tomorrow morning. My aunt can't keep it, she has 3 cats and is on disability so no money for food, a secure cage, etc.

My aunt is unwilling to take it to the local humane society, she says they adopt rodents out for snake food (no idea if that's even remotely true, but their piggie adoption fee is $5).

Anyway, if anyone in the Harrisburg area is interested in her please let me know.

mdodge

Cavy Slave
Re: Harrisburg PA area - homeless piggie (female - unconfirmed)?

There's a few piggie rescues in the area about n hr from there .the one I used to adopt my little arizona is the little furball guinea pig rescue.there out of Malvern Pa near king of Prussia.

Rywen

Cavy Slave

There's a few piggie rescues in the area about n hr from there .the one I used to adopt my little arizona is the little furball guinea pig rescue.there out of Malvern Pa near king of Prussia.
[MENTION=30784]mdodge[/MENTION] Thank you! I'll get in touch with them and see if they can help.

Rywen

Cavy Slave

So things didn't work out with the Little Furball Rescue due to them being 2 hours away from Harrisburg.

The piggie is now at my house, I met my aunt 1/2 way between my house and hers (about an hour for each of us).

Piggie is quarantined from my pair. She's definitely a she. She's cute, I don't think she's full grown, she's 944g. Her nails are very overgrown, I'll be trimming them tomorrow.

I wasn't planning on adding to my herd (cage isn't big enough) so if anyone in MD/DC/NoVA has room in their female herd and would like to adopt her please let me know.

For right now her name is New Pig, lol. Here's a pigture.

103c05b2c4d190078dcb672813de04a4.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

She's very cute. Thank you for taking her in. Wish I were closer, I'd stick her in with my herd.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Harrisburg PA area - homeless piggie (female - unconfirmed)?

New Pig is now named Trixie. She's super sweet. Her nails are trimmed. She's going to the vet on Saturday morning for a health check. If anyone in MD/NoVA/DC or even southern PA would like to adopt her I'll bring her to you (assuming she checks out as healthy). [MENTION=27327]lunarminx[/MENTION] or [MENTION=30060]pigger123[/MENTION] any room in your herds ( [MENTION=22436]ThePigAlchemist[/MENTION] I think you have boars?).

Rywen

Cavy Slave

I'm fairly sure MGPR will only take an abandoned pig. I'm planning to contact Small Angels Rescue. I can foster her so maybe they will add her to their adoption lists.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave

Ahhhh I can't, I have the 5 sows and I have offered all my extra grids and coroplast to koalamissy for her to build a cage for her new piggies. She is picking them up this week end so I wouldn't even be able to expand. I'm so sorry, If this happened last week before offering everything out, I would have asked everyone here. I will not back out of giving them to her as her pigs are in store bought cages the shelter gave her with them.

Rywen

Cavy Slave

[MENTION=27327]lunarminx[/MENTION] no worries! I have some extra grids I can send with her but the chloroplast would be problematic. Plus with 5 sows you already have your hands full! I'm just hoping to find Trixie a good home before I become attached to her, lol.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave

@lunarminx no worries! I have some extra grids I can send with her but the chloroplast would be problematic. Plus with 5 sows you already have your hands full! I'm just hoping to find Trixie a good home before I become attached to her, lol.

With my back and arms, it hurt so much redoing the cage. Today I finally got everything back and I started Friday. Getting rid of the grids means there is no way I can redo the cage no matter. A few weeks ago a maintenance man was in here and mentioned I blocked the electric panel, and said it would be hard if they ever had to get to it. Not really but now It's clear so they can't gripe anymore. And it's high enough for the hay box to go under again, which is nice for me.

Rywen

Cavy Slave

(Can one of the admins please change the subject of this thread to Trixie's thread (or something similar?), thank you!

So, the good news, Trixie is very healthy! The estimate on her age is about 6 months. The less good news, the vet thinks she is pregnant, but it's too soon to tell for sure. She felt one round mass in her right side where her right uterus is. I had felt it on Thursday and was hoping I was imagining things.

Vet said it could be an ovarian cyst (highly unlikely in such a young pig and it didn't feel squishy enough for a cyst), or her spleen is on the wrong side (very highly unlikely) or it's a big mass of poop (also unlikely because she's producing "beans" just fine). I think the vet was trying to give me hope that it's something else and Trixie isn't pregnant.

I asked Trixie to tell me what she's been up to before my aunt acquired her in a parking lot but young Trixie isn't talking.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Trixie gained 42g in 10 days. Is that normal for an approximately 6 mo old piggie (or she may be a bit older, certainly not younger)? Or is it an indicator of the possible pregnancy?

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Trixie gained 42g in 10 days. Is that normal for an approximately 6 mo old piggie (or she may be a bit older, certainly not younger)? Or is it an indicator of the possible pregnancy?

Their weight can fluctuate a lot normally, especially since she's still young. It could be a sign of pregnancy but it could just as easily be a growing piggy. Good luck with Trixie, still.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.