Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Are Oxbow pellets still considered a good brand?

WokeBecky

Cavy Slave
I've been feeding my GP heard Oxbow brand pellets for the last 13+ years without researching to see if they are still considered the best readily available pellet in the USA. Are they? What else is preferred or acceptable?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The only two brands that either this forum or Guinea Lynx recommend in the U.S. is Oxbow or KMS Hayloft. However, KMS Hayloft has had major distribution problems, and they're a small regional compared compared to Oxbow's worldwide operations. I imagine that at the moment, Oxbow has access to a much wider variety of hay from different parts of the country, while KMS is struggling with the fires and the drought in the west.

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
I've been feeding my GP heard Oxbow brand pellets for the last 13+ years without researching to see if they are still considered the best readily available pellet in the USA. Are they? What else is preferred or acceptable?

Oxbow has several different lines of guinea pig pellets. You may want to compare their different lines if you want to continue feeding Oxbow.
[MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] has stated that calcium should be low (close to .4%)

Based on that, KMS is the closest -- .41/.54 are their min/max for calcium.

Here are the min/max calcium for Oxbow's adult guinea pig lines.

Oxbow Essentials .35/.75
Oxbow Select .35/.75
Oxbow Simple Harvest .4/.8
Oxbow Organic Bounty .6/.9

(sorry about the bold. I can't get
it off - button won't respond)

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I've been using Simple Harvest (or the organic one...idk...but it sure smells nice). According to this, I probably shouldn't?

WokeBecky

Cavy Slave
I've been using the regular formula, I guess it's the Essentials? I dump my pig chow into a sealed container and don't have a bag available. I've noticed that over the years my pigs have poo-poo'ed the other formulations so I just stick to the original.

As far as hay, I mostly buy Oxbow timothy, but I do buy other brands of timothy as well.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
KMS is the best imo. Oxbow is backup when kms is out of stock.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I got the Oxbow Essentials for Lacey. I tried the Garden Select and she loved them until I bought another bag, and then wasn't interested. They smelled so good when I opened the bag - like fresh herbs but she wasn't interested. I even mixed them and she picked out the Essentials leaving the rest.

Now I feed the Young formula to my new youngster. Hopefully she'll like the Essentials when she gets older.

Artista

Cavy Slave
I got the Oxbow Essentials for Lacey. I tried the Garden Select and she loved them until I bought another bag, and then wasn't interested. They smelled so good when I opened the bag - like fresh herbs but she wasn't interested. I even mixed them and she picked out the Essentials leaving the rest.

Now I feed the Young formula to my new youngster. Hopefully she'll like the Essentials when she gets older.
If not, try Kms hayloft timothy hay. Lowest calcium and all my gps have always loved it.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I believe I just mistakenly got Western Timothy from KMS, when I ordered bluegrass. I've already initiated a return. It's dry, brown, very dusty and terrible. Not something I will ever feed my boys.

Artista

Cavy Slave
I believe I just mistakenly got Western Timothy from KMS, when I ordered bluegrass. I've already initiated a return. It's dry, brown, very dusty and terrible. Not something I will ever feed my boys.

Ugh. Sorry to hear. Personally I have better luck with SPS hays. I get orchard and 3rd cut timothy.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
I prefer KMS Hayloft pellets over Oxbow and received my 5 lbs order last week. I will be ordering another 5 lbs in a month so that I won't run out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.