Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Glass

CudsGwennyPash

Cavy Slave
I am making a new cage out of wire closet shelving, linoleum and tempered glass shelves. I was going to get the 12in high wire shelves because my pigs don't jump so I know they couldn't get over it, however I decided that I want to be able to do some fleece forests with all the grids I have. Since the grids are 14in high I felt that it would look pretty weird if my fleece forest was 2in higher than the cage walls, so I have decided to get the 16in wire shelves instead. Now for the glass, I was obviously going to get 12in high which would perfectly line up with the shelves, however now that I am getting 16in high shelves, I went back to look for different glass height and all I could find was 14in for the highest. I could get 10in but I don't feel that will look good, so I am trying to decided if I should get 12in high glass shelves, and have there be a 4in difference between the glass and the wire, or if I should get the 14in glass shelves and have a 2in difference between the wire and glass. Which one do you think would look better? Also, do you have any suggestion on how to attach the glass to the wire shelves? I was thinking of glass clip thingies, however I can't find any that are 3/16in thick so that won't work. I was also thinking of using some massive binder clip things- the ones that can hold 500 sheets, however I am not sure that will work... do you think it will?

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
Have you considered using plexi glass instead? That can be cut to size. It also can be (carefully) drilled to make holes through which zip ties can go for securing to the wire shelving.

CudsGwennyPash

Cavy Slave
@Gandalf Yes, I did consider using Plexiglas, since I saw many people using it, however I decided not to use it because of how thick of a piece I would need so that it isn't wobbly on my cage. It wasn't too expensive to get a large piece, however, it would soon become expensive because once it gets scratched which is really easy to do, I would not like the look of it- since the whole purpose of me using it is for it to look nicer, therefore I would have to buy another piece which would get expensive very fast. I decided that I wanted glass because that is very hard to scratch, but then I have to deal with the strength of it, which finally led me to tempered glass. That can't be drilled so that is why I was thinking of binder clips, or glass clips but I can't seem to find any that are the proper thickness. The only reason why I am concerned about the binder clips is because I am not sure they will be able to hold up the 30 pound piece of glass and keep it sturdy. Do you think it will?

Red5Iam

Cavy Slave
I'm not so sure about binder clips & glass. The weight seems a little too much for them, in my opinion. You could do spring clamps, which you can get from most hardware stores, and they have them in varying sizes. They still won't grip great but they will stand a better chance of holding the weight. If you can get rubber tipped ones, it'll work better. Like any of these https://www.homedepot.com/s/spring%20clamps?NCNI-5. 2" is standard, but if you need something smaller you could easily try the 3/4". Bigger than a binder clip, but not too big. There also should be some kind of glass joining corner piece you could buy that would help keep them together. I don't work with glass enough to know, but I'm sure someone at a shop could tell you.

Can I ask what the glass is for? Maybe I just was misreading it, but it sounded like you were doing glass inside of the shelves for the entire height of the shelves? Or is it just on a side of it? I only ask because it sounds like it's going to reduce the air flow in the cage which can be bad. Like I said, I may just be reading it wrong.

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
I assumed the glass is for the front face of the cage?
You may need to make a 90 degree angled wood frame of sorts for the corners where the side walls and the glass can both have slots to slip into.

Glass can be cut and/or drilled before tempering. You would have to go through a glass company. Give them a sketch with dimensions and where you'd like the cutouts. Then they could give you an estimate on cutting and then tempering the glass. (They'd also need to know the thickness of the glass you want.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.