Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pigsitting Going on vacation

Chasethecavy

Cavy Slave
I'm leaving the country for three weeks and I already found a pig sitter. My concern is what should I temporarily have my guinea pig staying in? Obviously I'm not going to transport my large c&c cage. Is there any temporary cages for cheap I can house him in where he won't stink?

PS-I've already asked and it's not convenient for their schedule to come to my place and watch and feed him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lissie

Cavy Slave
How about the Midwest cage?

You could also zip-tie grids together to make a cage. Line the floor with a plastic tarp. Give your pig sitter enough fleece to change the cage when you're away.
The grids can be fold like an accordion for transport. If you use the kitchen tray, also bring the kitchen tray to your pig sitter's house.
FloorTimeSetUp.JPG

IMG02453-20120830-2023.jpg

DSC01904.JPG

If coroplast is cheaper for you than grids, you can also make a coroplast only cage. Just clip the sides with binder clips.
IMG_0475.jpg

Chasethecavy

Cavy Slave
How about the Midwest cage?

You could also zip-tie grids together to make a cage. Line the floor with a plastic tarp. Give your pig sitter enough fleece to change the cage when you're away.
The grids can be fold like an accordion for transport. If you use the kitchen tray, also bring the kitchen tray to your pig sitter's house.
FloorTimeSetUp.JPG

IMG02453-20120830-2023.jpg

DSC01904.JPG

If coroplast is cheaper for you than grids, you can also make a coroplast only cage. Just clip the sides with binder clips.
IMG_0475.jpg

Thank you SO much! I have a few grids lying around. Might buy more to make it bigger. What should I use beneath the fleece? I don't think I can buy coroplast because the last time it didn't fit in my car so I had to return it until I found someone with a truck to bring it home for me. You mentioned plastic tarp. Where can I find it?

lissie

Cavy Slave
You're welcome!

Plastic tarps can be found at any home improvement stores. You can also buy from Amazon https://a.co/iw3yagF
Large plastic trash bags will work too. Anything that will protect the floor from getting wet.

Under fleece you can use uhaul pads or towels as the absorbent layer. Are you currently using fleece?

Chasethecavy

Cavy Slave
Yes I'm using fleece currently. It'd be a good idea to put puppy pads and that plastic tarp

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
A plastic table cloth from the dollar store also works well to protect the floor!

I've travelled with my girls before and always use a plastic table cloth, uhaul and then fleece with grids zip tied together. It works well and is easy to care for.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.