Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rescues Guinea Pig Resue

CaseyB

Cavy Slave
Hi there,
I just moved to a smaller town (still a population of 90,000)from a larger centre in British Columbia, Canada. Since I've been here I've notice that there are no resources for small animals let alone guinea pigs. All the surrenders get taken back to Petsmart or Petland.

I have quite a few years experience with GP's and a background in veterinary medicine. I have been contemplating starting a guinea pig rescue/shelter. I tried to just be a source of education, but people aren't interested in listening.

There are so many for sale on classified type sites like Kijiji and Craigslist. And in their pictures these pigs need to find new homes ASAP, but people are reluctant to let them go without money.

Any thoughts would be extremely helpful.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There are some threads on what it takes to start/run a rescue. I don't have time to look at the moment, but will do so later. You can use the Search function at the top to see if you can find something.

@foggycreekcavy runs one, as does @RodentCuddles. Possibly one or both of them has contributed to those threads, so you might search on their usernames.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I don't run a rescue but I've been a long term volunteer. There's little reason to take in guinea pigs from ads because those owners are already attempting to rehome them. You could offer them advice on how to list their ad or make suggestions to keep the transfer safe for the guinea pig but you'd be better off concentrating on guinea pigs slated to be euthanized or those at risk. If you do take in animals from an owner, you'd probably want to ask for a rehoming fee to put towards its care. Money will be an issue. You'll also need to come up with a contract/surrender form when you adopt out/take in a guinea pig to protect the guinea pig and yourself from liability. You could put your name out there to local shelters to let them know you're operating a rescue. You'd need to have a good exotic vet lined up and a vet fund because that's where most of your expenses will be. You also have decisions to make about licensing and whether you want to apply for non profit status. It's really a business so you have to make sure you have everything you need to run it. You also would have to find out if there are restrictions regarding the number of animals you can keep in the town you live in.

CaseyB

Cavy Slave
Thanks ! That's a lot of help

CavyHouse

Cavy Slave
There are a whole series of articles on starting your own rescue here:
(broken link removed)

A friend of mine who has been doing rat, guinea pig, hamster, chinchilla and mouse rescue for 10 years wrote the articles.

CaseyB

Cavy Slave
Awesome ! I'll give them a read. Thanks

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.