Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Store brought guinea pig cage

taylaslife

Cavy Slave
The thing is you don't get it , youse most likely live in America and your c&c cages are really cheap and easy to find over here it's not so easy we have very limited pet stuff especially when I live in one of the smallest cities we only have two small pet shops so cages that big are very hard to find , but my pigs also have a really big playpen which they go on every day for at least an hour so they get lots of exercise and they are still very young

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
The thing is you don't get it , youse most likely live in America and your c&c cages are really cheap and easy to find over here it's not so easy we have very limited pet stuff especially when I live in one of the smallest cities we only have two small pet shops so cages that big are very hard to find , but my pigs also have a really big playpen wHhich they go on every day for at least an hour so they get lots of exercise and they are still very young
Have you considered closet shelving? I understand how hard it can be, but if you're going to start a forum, you must be open to suggestions. I was and I couldn't be happier with my cage now. And no, its not c&c, its wood, which Im sure you have in New Zealand. So if you still want to tell me you don't have supplies for a cage, go ahead, but Im pretty positive you can put a simple box together with wood.

taylaslife

Cavy Slave
Yes as I said I was thinking of putting an extension onto the blue cage but I'm not sure what I would make it out of as I have cats and it needs to have a roof

taylaslife

Cavy Slave
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413938744.541654.jpg their playpen

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Did you PM oldnewie and RodentCuddles and ask if they know about cage supplies? RodentCuddles runs a rescue, so she probably has quite a few contacts.

AddysPiggies

Cavy Slave
In America it's not ALWAYS cheap. My c and c cage was $130.00 for fleece, grids, ect... For a 5x2 And I have only about 3 pets stores near me so it's about the same

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Slave
why can't you make a cage the same way you made that playpen? Like I've stated before, it's simple if you're open to suggestions. Laminate flooring or a shower curtain, anything like that takes the place of coroplast. its so simple if you think about it

taylaslife

Cavy Slave
Yeah thanks guys

Smashley

Cavy Slave
I second the advice @MrCavyMadness gave you. I know a lot of people who have constructed their cages out of wood. Building your own cage will not only give you a lot more of "creative control", but will also give you more space for less money.

Here's an example of a cage you could build... Obviously, your cage doesn't have to be exactly like this. It doesn't need to have plexiglass, a second story, or even a stand. (It could just be five pieces of wood secured together) However, I think this video might give you a good idea of the endless possibilities...

[video=youtube;J6jdbeqHc8c]

I'm not trying to be rude, and I'm sure no one else is either. You asked a question, and we are simply giving you our answers and advice. We're just trying to help everyone give their piggies a happy and healthy life.

taylaslife

Cavy Slave
Ok thanks guys I'll start putting plans together to make a bigger cage

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Slave
Exactly @Smashley, thank you. We are not trying to be rude at all, and the cage he supplied is perfect. I actually know her from youtube. Her cage is really cool! it's equivalent to a 2x5 c&c and cost her a little over $100

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
I know you've already moved on to deciding to do something different, but I wanted to point out that the cage you pictured has a ramp and second level that is made of wire and could potentially cause a broken leg or other injury. I didn't see anyone else mention that (if someone did sorry I missed it).

taylaslife

Cavy Slave
I would cover the wire with fleece and a laminate bottom also the ramp

AddysPiggies

Cavy Slave
Other then it being tiny I think they could VERY EASLY get injured and for 2 piggies? That cage is a no no. U should have a 2x5 c and c cage ( if u choose to make a c and c cage) the pigs could easily fall of that little patio

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
Hello and welcome to the site! As someone who also lives in the Southern Hemisphere (across the pond in Australia), I do really understand the problems with making C+C or C+C type cages. The materials just aren't readily available here and when they are they are often very expensive. So, because of that, we have to think outside the box a little and consider other materials that are also inexpensive but easily available. I think a cage like this would suit your needs

(broken link removed)

You could make that any size you want, and add latches and locks to it if you have dogs, cats or inquisitive children.

taylaslife

Cavy Slave
Thanks that cage looks really good and easy to make my dad is bringing home some untreated wood from his work so we can make something and my mum has already brought us that blue cage for Christmas so we could make something like that and add it into the blue cage thanks so much for your help

taylaslife

Cavy Slave
Got some wood to make a frameImageUploadedByTapatalk1413949567.550240.jpg

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
I live in New Zealand and we don't even have c&c cages here and if we want them it cost so much money to get them from America and a cage that big over here would be $400 no joke the blue cage is $120 alone

Last year we had girds made in China and imported a whole container load. We sell the C&C grids and Connectors, all the money from them sold goes straight into the rescue's account so is used for vet bills, de-sexing, veggies ect. So as well as getting your own guineas a c&c cage, you'll also be helping the guineas in the rescue. You can make a good sized (2x6) basic c&c cage for $65 if the girds will just be used as the walls.

(broken link removed)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@RodentCuddles, how about posting that information as a new thread in the Australia/New Zealand forum and I'll make it a sticky. That way the information will be easier to find.

Thanks!

shajadaz

Cavy Slave
In just gonna my 2 cents worth actually you can get the grids at Kmart, or sunshineimports.com as stated in the australian section, I'm in nsw Australia also

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.