Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Newbie that needs advice after pig passed away today

PudgePig

Cavy Gazer
Hi, Before reading this please be aware that I love, love these piggies and don't regret caring for them; I'm in this for life.
Due to my lack of knowledge, I made the error of purchasing 2 precious piggies from my local pet store a couple of weeks ago, then beginning research on how to care for them. Instead of vice-versa, then I would've know that adoption is the way to go.
My sweet Pixel had health problems from the start. I found an exotic vet who took wonderful care of her, but she passed away this morning. :( We're heartbroken, but I had to try. I couldn't take her back for an exchange like she was some sort of merchandise. She was loved an cared for to the best of my abilities (2x4 c&c cage as soon as I found out the pet store cage was too small a few days after getting them. Plenty of timothy grass hay, unlimited pellets because they're growing pigs, fresh low calcium veggies and of course vet care.)
My question is: What about Pudge? I know they are supposed to be in pairs and she's lost her buddy. What do I do now? I'm thinking she needs to stay alone in a quarantine type situation for 3 weeks before we get another pig, so we know she's healthy and won't transmit anything. Is it okay to get an older pig as a cagemate for her? (I understand that this would total at least 6 weeks of being single in a cage for my Pudge.) Is that okay?
I really just need advice from experienced cavy owners.
Thanks in advance.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Hi, Before reading this please be aware that I love, love these piggies and don't regret caring for them; I'm in this for life.
Due to my lack of knowledge, I made the error of purchasing 2 precious piggies from my local pet store a couple of weeks ago, then beginning research on how to care for them. Instead of vice-versa, then I would've know that adoption is the way to go.
My sweet Pixel had health problems from the start. I found an exotic vet who took wonderful care of her, but she passed away this morning. :( We're heartbroken, but I had to try. I couldn't take her back for an exchange like she was some sort of merchandise. She was loved an cared for to the best of my abilities (2x4 c&c cage as soon as I found out the pet store cage was too small a few days after getting them. Plenty of timothy grass hay, unlimited pellets because they're growing pigs, fresh low calcium veggies and of course vet care.)
My question is: What about Pudge? I know they are supposed to be in pairs and she's lost her buddy. What do I do now? I'm thinking she needs to stay alone in a quarantine type situation for 3 weeks before we get another pig, so we know she's healthy and won't transmit anything. Is it okay to get an older pig as a cagemate for her? (I understand that this would total at least 6 weeks of being single in a cage for my Pudge.) Is that okay?
I really just need advice from experienced cavy owners.
Thanks in advance.

I'm really sorry for your loss. Do you know what she died from? Depending upon whether it was contagious or not, I think I'd take Pudge in for a well check because you're new to guinea pigs and might not be able to tell some of the subtle signs that would indicate illness. In the meantime, I'd see if there's a reputable rescue in your area where you can find a companion for her. Age isn't as much of an issue as compatibility. If there's a way Pudge could select her own buddy through a meet and greet, that would be the way to go. Good luck!

PudgePig

Cavy Gazer
She died from a URI. I took Pudge to my vet this afternoon. Her lungs are clear and she appears healthy.
Thanks for the advice age vs. compatibility. I really appreciate the reply.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry, even if Pixel was new to you, it's never easy losing your piggy baby. At least you know you gave her good care, and she was loved during her short life.

Females are pretty easy to find new buddies, fortunately, and there's usually a lot of them at rescues because people drop off pregnant pigs they get from pet stores. You should double-check the sex, though, since they are pet store pigs.

If it's a URI, even if she is clear i would wait at least a week or so to make sure she doesn't develop symptoms, plus scrub out the entire cage & everything in it. You're probably good though.

PudgePig

Cavy Gazer
Thanks jaycriae.
I agree; I definitely want to know Pudge is healthy before doing anything. It does make me feel better knowing that she's been checked and appears okay right now. She's eating frequently and running around. :)
When I got home from leaving Pixel at the hospital a couple of days ago, I changed all the bedding and such. I've also washed everything Pixel had touched in hot water with vinegar and a scent free eco-friendly laundry soap.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.