Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Are there any NYC area guinea pig shelters or rescues?

onefutui2e

Cavy Slave
Hi,

As the title suggests, I'm wondering if there are any shelters or rescues in NYC that are like MGPR or ARL Boston? I picked one up from a shelter near me but it was really just by chance that they had a few to be adopted. Looking around there aren't any in my area that are like MGPR or ARL in that they don't "advertise" the pigs they have up for adoption.

Thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Try www.petfinder.com. Most shelters and rescues will list available pets on there. If they're local to you, contact them even if they don't have a pet listed that you want. They're almost all run on a shoestring by volunteers, and the postings aren't always up to date.

hmchen

Cavy Gazer
Yes! I just adopted my three girls a month ago from Empty Cages Collective. They're amazing and you can find out more info here: https://www.yelp.com/biz/empty-cages-collective-brooklyn

I know for a fact that they have adoptable guinea pigs right now! Coordinator Natalia's fostering a couple and you can probably find photos here: https://www.facebook.com/emptycagesrescue/

Email [email protected] for information - Natalia will probably send you the adoption agreement as well as an application. They're amazing, very active, and take wonderful care of their fosters. I found them through Petfinder! Highly recommend!

onefutui2e

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for sharing this!

hmchen

Cavy Gazer
Thank you so much for sharing your adoption story with us. Your new girls are absolutely adorable. You're lucky I don't live close to you because I could easily pignap Peyton. Lol!

The rescue sounds so wonderful. I could tell how much of her heart Natalia put in fostering those babies. I have such admiration for all of the foster families who care for all of the piggies while they are waiting for their forever homes.

May you have many many happy years with your girls.

Thanks Kelsie! Dylan gave birth to 5 pups just now and Peyton's 2 pups are now a week old. Too bad you're not closer because you could easily pignap a pup!!!! Bahaha. Natalia's been supporting me through this unexpected expectancy and assured me she will take any I don't have room or homes for so we can separate sows and boars on time to avoid more pups!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sounds like you got quite a bit more than you bargained for, [MENTION=40369]hmchen[/MENTION]. I have to say thank you, not only for taking on Dylan, Peyton and Gwendolyn, but for sticking with them and getting them through this unexpected twist. Kudos to you for being a fantastic piggy parent!

Please let us know how you and all the pigs and pups make out, it's possible you might find someone on here in your area willing to take a pup or two, or more!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.