Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Loss One of my piggies died... how to care for the other one

skbrodie

Cavy Slave
Hello,

My piggie Betsie died last night unexpectedly. It's been a very rough 12 hours for everyone, and although I'm obviously very upset I've now started worrying about my other piggie- Baylie. I was hoping to get advice on how to care for Baylie now that she is alone. She is about 4 years old and one of her favorite things to do was play follow the leader with Betsie. Any advice is appreciated...

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I would would start looking at shelter for a neutered male, follow the quarantine time and introduce them. At 4 she still has many years left in her. Was Betsie sick? Was it sudden? Watch for signs of Baylie being sick too.

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
I am sorry you lost Betsie. But I agree with @lunarminx, you should get another piggy. And if Betsie was ill keep an eye out on Baylie or take her to the vet. And it might help to disinfect the whole cage to get Betsies smell off it.

Sunrise

Cavy Slave
I don't trust the males. The practice of neutering guinea pigs is unusual and not common where I am located. As a result all males I've encountered have been unneutered.

I think pairing an older female with a younger female is best. This has been the best pairing for me in terms of lesser dominance issues and dealing with neutering and spaying costs. I have rabbits which I do neuter and spay. Unnecessary surgery I can avoid is preferable.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd get another pig, but it doesn't have to be a neutered male. They're hard to find in most cases. And not everyone is up for living with boar stank.

If you're looking to work yourself out of the guinea pig business, then get another female about the same age as yours. If not, then a younger one (or more) would be good.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.