Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How do I get over the passing of pets that happened a long time ago?

NikkisPigs

Cavy Slave
My beloved ferret Rosco passed away in 2011 and my dog Carlin passed in 2013 and I still cry and get emotional.

Rosco had polycystic kidney disease. If I believed in soulmates I would think that he was mine. He was only three years old and ferrets should live to be eight or so. I learned all about the poor breeding practices and the vet told me it was likely bad breeding that gave him this issue. I gave him saline injections up to twice a day to keep him hydrated and cooked him special food along with his prescription renal failure diet. The last year of his life he didn't live in a cage at all because I wanted him to be able to play when he felt good and not when it was convenient for me to take him out of the cage. I love him so much and it still hurts.

Carlin was a rescue dog and needed to be put to sleep because he was having a lot of problems with incontinence, prolapses, pain...When I had the vet do it his veins kept collapsing when he tried to give him the shot. It was very traumatizing to see him bleed. He was my first rescue. A pit mix with short little legs who had been used as a bait dog. He is so special. I adopted him when I was 19 when I first moved out on my own.

Is it normal to still cry sometimes and feel so sad? Sometimes I feel like I'm not normal. =(

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I would too. My parents gave one of my dachshunds away last year, and Im a teenage guy so they shouldn't cry right? well i was with my friend (which means you really shouldn't cry) and my mom called me and told me and I cried like I was 4 years old.

NikkisPigs

Cavy Slave
I would too. My parents gave one of my dachshunds away last year, and Im a teenage guy so they shouldn't cry right? well i was with my friend (which means you really shouldn't cry) and my mom called me and told me and I cried like I was 4 years old.

It's not bad for men to cry =)

It's just...my family doesn't seem to understand. I live alone but sometimes I try to open up and talk about it when I visit with them but I don't feel understood. Especially about my ferret. Our connection was very special and giving him those injections and medications only deepened it. They think he was just a ferret and so I should be over it because it's been three years but to me he was a friend, a companion, and a life who was very special and deserved a better lot in life than what he got. My dog people understand better because more people have deep connections with dogs. Carlin was an angel. I get sad and sometimes I still cry.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
It seems like way too many people think that you can't have as strong of a connection with small animals. They think "it's just a (guinea pig/hamster/rabbit/ferret), it doesn't have feelings and it can't be a friend." The little guys are totally misunderstood.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
When anyone dies be they human or animal there will always be moments of grief. As time passes the sadness changes, it is no longer on the front if our minds and hearts but it is there, coming to the surface to remind us how much we miss our loved ones.

Mercedes

Cavy Slave
I know the feeling. My dog Caro passed away in 2008. It hurts to this day, and I still can't fully let go.
But I think, what helped me, was to convince myself that he is still with me, near me, probably lying on my bed somewhere as a spirit that stays with you till you go meet them at the Rainbow Bridge.
And right now I'm saving up for a little memorial statue that says 'in memory of a loved pet and companion', and have it displayed on a bookshelf to remind myself that he had a good life and he's not entirely gone.

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
When anyone dies be they human or animal there will always be moments of grief. As time passes the sadness changes, it is no longer on the front if our minds and hearts but it is there, coming to the surface to remind us how much we miss our loved ones.
That was beautiful lol

NikkisPigs

Cavy Slave
It seems like way too many people think that you can't have as strong of a connection with small animals. They think "it's just a (guinea pig/hamster/rabbit/ferret), it doesn't have feelings and it can't be a friend." The little guys are totally misunderstood.

I agree. A lot of people have been insensitive and my feelings were hurt =( It's nice to be here where people understand :love:

This is a wonderful statement =D

I know the feeling. My dog Caro passed away in 2008. It hurts to this day, and I still can't fully let go.
But I think, what helped me, was to convince myself that he is still with me, near me, probably lying on my bed somewhere as a spirit that stays with you till you go meet them at the Rainbow Bridge.
And right now I'm saving up for a little memorial statue that says 'in memory of a loved pet and companion', and have it displayed on a bookshelf to remind myself that he had a good life and he's not entirely gone.

I think I'll look into memorial statues as well, that sounds like a great idea. I have Rosco and Carlin's pictures hanging up in my apartment. They were pictures taken from a time when they were healthy and they look so happy in the pictures. Carlin is at the river with me and he is doing a doggie smile and Rosco is rolling on the floor pawing at the air....those were such good times. Thank you for sharing your loss with me, I'm sorry that he passed.

Christin Barnes

Cavy Slave
It's perfectly normal to feel that way. My dog that I rescued and basically grew up with passed away 3 years ago and the only thing that has helped me heal is time. It's still upsetting to me this day to the point where I can't even mention her name to anyone because she was like my sister, and just thinking about it long enough makes me want to cry. To this day it has been the most painful experience in my life thus far but I know she is no longer suffering anymore and she had a great life even though it wasn't an extremely long one.

CinnaAndNutmeg

Cavy Slave

Yeah, my parents gave my dog back to the rescue after having him for a few years and I cried for hours...still do sometimes. And I can't have another dog until I love out. That's why I got guinea pigs, actually. That's what they allowed.

But I also had a dog die of cancer a few years back, and my cat I had had since I was 2 just last month. It's really hard, and I don't know what you believe, but I believe we'll see them again someday. :)

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I think the best thing is to remember that you gave them the best life possible. Even if their time was short and riddled with medical issues, that is completely out of your control but you were the one to give them the help they needed and you were responsible for all their happy days. Enjoy the fact that you took care of them and that you had a close bond and it was unfortunately their time to go.

Last year my 16 year old cat passed away from cancer. I was very bonded to him, I had picked him out of a littler of kittens when I was only 3 years old. I grew up with him and he slept in my bed nearly every night. His cancer came on quickly and was inoperable and untreatable other than palliative care. Within 2 weeks of us noticing a problem we had to put him to sleep.

I occasionally think about him but I always remember that we had a great 16 years together. He had an awesome life and it was his time to go. Our pets unfortunately do not last forever and now that he has passed I focus my energy on making my current pets lives just as amazing :)

Portal_Corgi

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss! :'( I agree with what everyone has said so far. I've lost loved ones, both people and pets, and it's never easy when there's a special connection there. Love is love and it doesn't matter what shape it comes in.

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
They think "it's just a (guinea pig/hamster/rabbit/ferret), it doesn't have feelings and it can't be a friend." The little guys are totally misunderstood.
My dad calls them rats. But they are friends and companions to a lot of other people. I have 3 guinea pigs and they are like family to me.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.