Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Tasmania couple farm guinea pigs so they can kill them to eat their meat - Daily Mail

News Feed
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I know News Feed is automated and I know that other countries/cultures farm cavies for meat, but _seriously_, News Feed, you really chose a bad story.

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
This may sound bad but this is people’s culture. Guinea pigs are pets to us but some of us eat cows and people in India have them as pets and worship them. So bottom line we should not make people sound bad that they eat food that is in their culture.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
This may sound bad but this is people’s culture. Guinea pigs are pets to us but some of us eat cows and people in India have them as pets and worship them. So bottom line we should not make people sound bad that they eat food that is in their culture.

You are correct. In this instance however, News Feed picked a story about people who eat guinea pigs, not keep them as pets.

While it's accepted practice in other areas of the world, a news story about eating guinea pigs showing up on a forum of cavy lovers is a bitter pill, and I think that's what @4boipigs is getting at.

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
You are correct. In this instance however, News Feed picked a story about people who eat guinea pigs, not keep them as pets.

While it's accepted practice in other areas of the world, a news story about eating guinea pigs showing up on a forum of cavy lovers is a bitter pill, and I think that's what @4boipigs is getting at.
Ok, I was just saying that it sounds bad that some one is saying something problematic to them I feel like it is offending some cultures.

Rosiethecutepig

Cavy Slave
It's just sad...

Soecara

Cavy Slave
In this particular story thought it is not a cultural thing, it isn't considered socially normal to eat guinea pigs here in Australia. That is probably why it was considered news worthy enough to publish in the first place because it is not something a normal Australian would do.

Rosiethecutepig

Cavy Slave
In this particular story thought it is not a cultural thing, it isn't considered socially normal to eat guinea pigs here in Australia. That is probably why it was considered news worthy enough to publish in the first place because it is not something a normal Australian would do.
Is that why so many celebrities are moving to Australia?
(This was meant as a joke. I'm not trying to be mean.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.