Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Mazuri Timothy based Guinea Pig Diet

pawner69

Cavy Slave
Normally I always feed Oxbow, however, I noticed at our pet store they have a 25 lb bag of Mazuri for the same price as a 10 lb bag of Oxbow.

I tried searching the forum for thoughts but everything I find says the Mazuri is alfalfa based but this stuff said Timothy based. I compared ingredients to my bag of Oxbow and the first 6-7 were identical.

Anyone know if the Mazuri Timothy based would be acceptable for my pigs? With 5 piggies and 4 other pets to feed, anywhere I can save a little and still feed a healthy diet is a good plan. [emoji2]

ed1efa02cc211c34325ca1fa5d2efbc8.jpg

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
I looked at the garunteed analysis, and it won't show the calcium amount, which probably means it has to much. You could contact the company and ask but I doubt they would tell you.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Actually, @Beatrix187, the complete nutritional information is on the website, here: (broken link removed). And most companies will tell you about their products.

@pawner69, the pellets have 1.1% calcium. That's 2-3 times as high as we'd like to see calcium in pellets. The recommended calcium percentage is .4%, but it's hard to find pellets with that as a maximum. Oxbow and KMS both have minimums of .3-.4, and maximums of about .6%.

I think you'd be risking urinary tract stones in most pigs by giving those pellets.

Last edited:

pawner69

Cavy Slave
Thank you SO much [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION]!! I am glad I asked first. I will stick with my Oxbow.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I have been feeding mine that for about a year now.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wouldn't do it if I were you, [MENTION=27327]lunarminx[/MENTION]. Of all the things we don't know about urinary tract stones in guinea pigs, we do know that excess calcium in the bladder plays a big part. There are other options for pellets that don't have nearly that much calcium in them. And when you've watched a pig suffer and die because of complication of stones, and paid the $1000 vet bill you accrued trying to keep them alive, you'll take a good hard look at how much calcium your pigs are getting, and what the source of that calcium is.

SardonicSmile

Cavy Slave
Oxbow and KMS both have minimums of .3-.4, and maximums of about .6%.

I have looked at Oxbow, but I always find a max calcium of .85%

(broken link removed)

am I just looking at the wrong product? Or do the bags themselves have a lower content on them?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.