Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression Should I separate or change the cage layout?

Pinny Gig

Cavy Slave
So my girls are not the best of friends. Dottie (2) and Hale (6) can tolerate each other at times, but it seems like Hale is getting bullied. Or she might just be too old to handle Dottie's antagonizing ways. Here's some things that have been happening and increasing in the last few months or so.

~Dottie will follow Hale around and guard water bottles/food/pigloos. Even if one water bottle is free Dottie will harass Hale to move and not even need to drink.

~Hale will complain/whine when Dottie wakes up from a nap, rumblestruts, or enters the loft/Hale's line of sight. Often Dottie will circle around her and then start chasing her. This happens 1-4x every hour.

~The loft is a big concern. Hale used it to escape Dottie in the past. But Dottie's learned to use it a few months ago. Both pigs will guard the base of the ramp. They pee/poop all over it and it requires daily cleaning. Last night I woke up to Hale chirping. I went to the cage and saw her trying to go down the ramp, but Dottie was at the bottom and refused to move. I had to move Dottie out of the way and Hale kept chirping even when she got off the ramp.

~Hale does have calcifying on her spine and arthritis. She's on Metacam, but Dottie mounting her likely causes pain. Also, the ramp has a gentle incline since Hale really likes going up and down.

I understand pigs have dominance/herd hierarchy and reaffirming their pecking order happens constantly. Dottie's doing this everyday, every hour, and Hale rarely challenges her. I was thinking of separating them with the option of being able to see each other or keeping Hale in the loft and out of sight. The loft is 2x3 and the lower level is 2x4 by 2x3 (L shape). Or if side by side the cages would be 2x3 with no loft. They both LOVE the loft and spend a lot of time up there.

Or I could keep them together but remove the loft.

Any thoughts??

SardonicSmile

Cavy Slave
I would get Dottie checked for possible ovarian cysts.

Does the loft have hay and water? If Hale gets stuck again she needs access to that at least.

I think I would remove the loft for a while, it is one less thing to bicker over. As long as there is no fighting with blood being drawn I would not seperate.

Pinny Gig

Cavy Slave
Definitely getting Dottie checked for cysts, I forgot to mention that!! I have an appt set for next week.

The loft does have hay/water. Hale's unable to turn around/back up on the ramp so she gets stuck. Sometimes she'll barrel through but often she'll wait for Dottie to move after nudging or complaining long enough. I waited 5 minutes once before I intervened.

I have had the loft removed for a month when I was treating for mites (last month). The situation didn't change other than Hale couldn't escape. Also they both kept nosing up where the loft had been and sleeping next to the area where the start of the ramp had been.

SardonicSmile

Cavy Slave
Is your cage on a stand?
The reason I ask is maybe they like the loft so much because it is higher and could feel safer for them? Maybe raising the cage could help.

You could try widening the cage to a 3x4, more space to avoid eachother.

4cavies

Cavy Slave
Honestly.... I would go with what your gut is telling you to do. I had gotten my boar a cage mate, introduced them and all seemed to go as planned with the typical dominance displays. Well, my new boy after being with Benny for a week or two had started just tormenting him. I had two of everything. Food dishes, veggie dishes, water bottles, hay racks with three different hidies for them and Spencer would just try to keep Benny away from absolutely everything.

Well, one night they had gotten into a huge piggy brawl. Locked together in a furry ball of pig fury. Luckily my brother had been over and was able to help me separate them. I put Spencer (who was definitely the instigator) into my emergency cage for the night and checked Benny out, his nose was cut and bleeding. In the morning separated their cage by grids. I had a lot of people telling me after this that they wouldn't have separated or that I shouldn't have and to just let them work it out.

After about two weeks I felt that I had done the wrong thing so I integrated them back together. Once again for about two weeks all seemed typical dominance stuff again. But I had noticed that Benny wasn't acting himself. He used to love to come out and lay by the side of the cage and watch all the going ons of the living room, now he was always hiding. After a little over a week, it had once again escalated with Spencer keeping him away from food and water and a whole area of their 2x6 cage. As a matter of fact, Benny was eventually restricted to a 2x2 area of the cage. One day Spencer had just kept tormenting Benny. Infringing on his space, not letting him eat or drink, not letting him go anywhere. I had to take Benny out several times to let him eat and drink.

Really late that night I heard the most God awful pig in pain screaming coming from Benny. I got up and turned on the lights and Spencer had him cornered. I couldn't see exactly what had been happening because Spencer ran off the second I got there. I took Benny out for awhile, gave him some love and treats and a once over to make sure there was no real damage. I was putting Benny back into the cage, letting him step off my hands to go to his favorite foot stool, when Spencer lunged out of the tunnel, and more than likely meaning to get Benny, bit down on my thumb. He was latched on. I literally pried him off by instinct. He left a pretty big nip in my thumb and took my false nail with him.

Well, after realizing that horrible bite was meant for Benny I decided to separate them, once and for all. I will never try to put them back together. I felt absolutely horrible that I had stuck Benny back in there with him against my instincts because other people were telling me they wouldn't have done that. He spent way too much time being tormented and bullied and it really was all my fault and it was completely unfair to him. It didn't take long for what everyone thought was normal dominance behavior to end up with me almost having a hunk of my thumb torn off.

So, all in all, what I am saying, is that with my experience it can escalate pretty badly, fairly quickly. And that I don't believe keeping them with a buddy in their cage is worth it if they are being beaten up, bullied or stressed. I regret putting them back together because all it did was cause more issues and more time for Benny to be tortured. I would go with what your instincts are telling you to do. If you really feel they should be separated, then do it. Know one else knows your pigs better than you.

Last edited by a moderator:

4cavies

Cavy Slave
Oh, I also meant to add that when I had added new or changed things, hoping Spencer would just stick to what he already saw as his and let Benny have something - It didn't work out. Spencer wanted the new space and the new hidies and the new water bottles, etc. as well.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Usually I would advocate keeping them together, but if it's giving Hale pain because of her arthritis, I'd separate them. Arrange the cage so they can see each other.

I'd consider getting another companion for Dottie, after you check on the ovarian cysts.

Pinny Gig

Cavy Slave
@SardonicSmile -- The cage is on a table, so the lower level is right above my hip. There's also a little ledge where the ramp is (to lessen the incline) and they perch on that to look out over the room.

@4cavies -- So sorry to hear about your boys!! It's frustrating to see a pig being bullied especially when he doesn't fight back or instigate anything. I understand where you're coming from with separating them, it should be good to keep them together, but when you see them unhappy it's hard to follow typical protocol of letting them work out their own issues :(

I do rearrange the cage every other day since they both enjoy the novelty, but Dottie will be very adamant about claiming every space, just like your Spencer.

@foggycreek -- Thank you! If Hale didn't have back pain (she can't stand straight up normal, she kinda hovers forward--I DON'T make her beg/stand for food but if she's too excited she'll do it on her own) I'd lean on the side of letting them stay together.

Thank you guys! I'll be re-configuring the cage soon and hopefully that'll work out better for these girls

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.