Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Not Eating Not eating and less energy.

Onlyinred

Cavy Slave
I got back from vacation and found Nike (my guinea pig) not eating. She also doesnt struggle when i lift her which is something she always did in the past. Shes also skinnier than ive ever seen her.
Im very concerned as to what this means. The vet says i should return her to the proper diet (the caretaker i left her with filled up the feeding bowl with pellets while i only give 1/8 of a cup a day). The vet says that with a return to her original diet and with my return (because Nike will feel more safe) she may resume eating. I should call the vet in a few days but theyre going to contact me tommorow to see how Nike is doing.
What do you guys think? Is there anything i can do? Im in the midst of purchasing critical care food from oxbow on amazon. Any other ideas?

P.s something i didnt mention to the vet was that the environment wasnt clean. I felt the fleece but didnt feel any wetness but that dsnt mean i didnt miss a spot. In addition there were a lot of feces that werent cleaned up (i cleaned them now and put bedding in apropriate places. Ill plan on doing a deep clean soon and replacing the fleece entirely but havent yet.). Theres also a swarm of flies that i caught in a fly trap but that indicates that theres an area im not seeing thats very dirty. Could even be outside the cage thats dirty. Thoughts?

Last edited:

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
I got back from vacation and found Nike (my guinea pig) not eating. She also doesnt struggle when i lift her which is something she always did in the past. Shes also skinnier than ive ever seen her.
Im very concerned as to what this means. The vet says i should return her to the proper diet (the caretaker i left her with filled up the feeding bowl with pellets while i only give 1/8 of a cup a day). The vet says that with a return to her original diet and with my return (because Nike will feel more safe) she may resume eating. I should call the vet in a few days but theyre going to contact me tommorow to see how Nike is doing.
What do you guys think? Is there anything i can do? Im in the midst of purchasing critical care food from oxbow on amazon. Any other ideas?

P.s something i didnt mention to the vet was that the environment wasnt clean. I felt the fleece but didnt feel any wetness but that dsnt mean i didnt miss a spot. In addition there were a lot of feces that werent cleaned up (i cleaned them now and put bedding in apropriate places. Ill plan on doing a deep clean soon and replacing the fleece entirely but havent yet.). Theres also a swarm of flies that i caught in a fly trap but that indicates that theres an area im not seeing thats very dirty. Could even be outside the cage thats dirty. Thoughts?

Is your vet cavy-savvy? A pig that's not eating, not struggling when being picked up, and that has lost a lot of weight is a very sick animal. I'd consider getting a second opinion asap from an exotic veterinarian. She can't wait a few days. She needs one tomorrow.

Will she really eat nothing? Hay? Veggies? Pellets? If she truly isn't eating at all, then she can't wait on Amazon to deliver the critical care; you need to go get it at Petsmart. Pigs need to have food (hay in particular) moving through their gut continuously to keep everything working right, otherwise they can quickly go into GI stasis or bloat.

Is she still producing stool and urine? I'd question the pet sitter to find out what she's been feeding and how much and if she's noticed any stool or urine being produced. How long were you gone on vacation?

Last edited:

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You have a very ill pig. Weight loss is the giveaway. If you left her with your vet while you went on vacation, your vet is either inept or inattentive. Both reasons to find a new one.

You can syringe feed a pellet slurry if you have nothing else but your pig needs food and a new vet NOW. Mix pellets with water until the consistency will easily be dispensed by syringe.

Onlyinred

Cavy Slave
Im starting to think my vet isnt cavvy savvy. She answers all my questions correctly but i think she made a big mistake on this one.
Sigh. I called them again mayb an hour later. Nike was frothing at the mouth. They said to bring her in for an emergency. She died on the way to the vet. She was already very old.

Squiggles

Cavy Slave
I'm so very sorry for your loss. Especially when you were looking forward to seeing her when you returned from vacation.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry, @Onlyinred.

It sounds to me like you did everything you could. You even left her with a vet when you went on vacation.

Rest in Peace, Nike.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Fly free over the Rainbow Bridge, Nike!

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry that your piggy passed, @Onlyinred.

Onlyinred

Cavy Slave
Thank you for your condolences

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.