Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C New Cage Setup!

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Instead of spending the day studying, I decided it would be a much better idea to re-do the cage. I've been meaning to do it for a while now, but I've been too busy. I bought a new sheet of coro and fancy duct tape yesterday, and spent all day today setting it up!

Before the cage was a 3x4 C&C. It stayed that way for about a year but it was becoming too much of a hassle to clean. I decided to make a 2x6 instead, with a designated kitchen area. The 2x4 of the cage is fleece, and the remaining 2x2 has loose bedding. I'm hoping that it will keep the fleece cleaner and that we can go longer between cleanings instead of the usual every second day.

So far, Penny and Sheldon don't seem to mind the change. I think they are liking it. When Penny first stepped on the bedding she was a bit unsure. She hasn't been on loose bedding for awhile. I'm not sure what she was on before but I know it was not fleece. Shelly doesn't seem phased by the change at all. :) They are both napping right now.

Anyhoo, here are some pictures!!

Before:

063 (2).jpg

After:

289.jpg

290.jpg

291.jpg

287.jpg

Rach84

Cavy Slave
Cage looks fab! Your piggies must be loving having that much zoom room! Xx

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Uhhh, DUH! Cage cleanings before studying… HAHAHAH! :D I am in LOVE with you blue fleece!

pocketmonster

Cavy Slave
I love it! Your fleece is so cute! I get all of the best piggy construction done when I should be doing other important things instead, like studying.. Or in the middle of the night.

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Thanks, everyone!! They seem to be enjoying the cage.

I was supposed to be studying for an exam that I have on Thursday. Oh well, I'm sure I'll do fine! :D

Coughingcolours

Cavy Slave
That looks awesome!

Question: Did they 'fight' over that pillow under the fiddlesticks, in your old cage?
I have a pillow I made when we just had Daisy, but I'm a little afraid to put just one in.
No reason to cause unnecessary grumbling, haha. I'll probably make another anyways, but I just need to have the energy to handsew. Blegh.

ellisa

Cavy Slave
That looks awesome!

Question: Did they 'fight' over that pillow under the fiddlesticks, in your old cage?
I have a pillow I made when we just had Daisy, but I'm a little afraid to put just one in.
No reason to cause unnecessary grumbling, haha. I'll probably make another anyways, but I just need to have the energy to handsew. Blegh.

Thankfully my pigs have never fought over anything. Some pigs can be possessive over certain things, so it's usually a good idea to have multiples of each item.

Penny and Sheldon get along swimmingly, and we have never had any fights. I think that because they are different genders that they get along a bit easier than some same gender pairings.

Coughingcolours

Cavy Slave
That's good! I'll probably have to make another before they can have it, Daisy is pretty territorial. And Deeni just wants to cuddle, haha!

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
you might want to make the kitchen area a little higher so the bedding doesnt spill over too much to the fleece :)

btw, penny's in sheldon' spot :eye-poppi im sure of it!

squbefactory

Cavy Slave
I took weeks to plan the boys c&c, and the same for the herds and i still think of new ways to make it look, currently considering expanding the herds pen again, many sleepless nights or doodles on paper at work regarding the plans before I actually get round to something that works for them and me.

Your cage looks fab

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Thanks, everyone! The cage is working out very well so far. I am quite pleased! :)

There has been a bit of bedding spilling onto the fleece, but it hasn't been that bad. I just sweep it up when I sweep poops. Sheldon has long, flowing bum hair so some bedding dragging across is inevitable. I can't go much higher with the dividing wall because Shelly also gets stiff joints sometimes and I don't want to make it too hard for him. :heart:

boofp

Cavy Slave
awesome job on the cage. I have about the same size cage I wanted to do a 2x2 kitchen but I used my old store bought cage bottom for now. 549070_10151562155116670_243210394_n.jpg

Rach84

Cavy Slave
@boofp does your cage not have any grid sides? Xx

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.